Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: trailer on February 24, 2021, 10:24:40 PM
38k all seater is actually conservative. We should aim for a 60k stadium, cause that's what'll be required in the future.
To watch boring orgies of defensive handball and everyone knowing it's all irrelevant as the Monster will continue to win the AI?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tony Baloney

I watched London Irish playing at the weekend at their new stadium and thought something similar would be perfect for Casement. About 18k all seater built for about £70 million in an awkward site in London,  so please don't tell me we can't get a decent stadium for the available funds.

City Dweller

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 24, 2021, 08:59:22 PM
Quote from: City Dweller on February 24, 2021, 06:24:24 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on February 24, 2021, 05:44:05 PM
So while in the one hand the GAA could use the money they have been given to get a good modern stadium fit for semi finals and most finals at say a 25k capacity ( and most importantly would get Antrim their home back), you want to spend whatever it takes to get another 10k in which will be filled once every 3 years for the sake of saying the 6 counties have a stadium which is as good as anywhere else in the country.

The GAA should be told to take the money they are getting or f**k off as there are a lot of other priorities in the north at the minute than filling a few peoples ego with a big white elephant.

Like what?

Schools, roads, hospital waiting lists, payrises for nurses off the top of my head

So should spending on sports, arts etc  just be stopped?

whitegoodman

No they should spend the money they have been given, be grateful and not ask for anymore.

whitegoodman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 25, 2021, 08:07:43 AM
I watched London Irish playing at the weekend at their new stadium and thought something similar would be perfect for Casement. About 18k all seater built for about £70 million in an awkward site in London,  so please don't tell me we can't get a decent stadium for the available funds.

It is quite ugly but I get the point.  Is there a new to be covered the whole way around ?  Some people like standing in the terrace.

trailer

18k isn't big enough. We need something that future proofs our games. Fit to hold Ulster championship games.
Some of you might be old enough to remember the Taylor report. Stadia in England were brought up to scratch. The experience became better, bringing a family was more enjoyable. Attendances increased. Would my wife go to watch Tyrone V Armagh in Clones in an uncovered stand, with poor toilet facilities, and a shitty wooden seat? Absolutely not and I wouldn't blame her, but she often comes to Croker. She hates the experience you get in the old unsuitable grounds. That happened in Eng as well. The Stadia got better, the experience got better and the fans came. It'll be the same with this stadium.

trailer

Quote from: hardstation on February 25, 2021, 07:19:02 AM
Quote from: trailer on February 24, 2021, 10:44:42 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 24, 2021, 10:32:00 PM
38k all seater is actually conservative. We should aim for a 60k stadium, cause that's what'll be required in the future.
On that site?

I'm not dying about the site and have said a good few times on this thread that moving it somewhere more central would be a better idea. But it needs built and the NI Gov fund it.
Perhaps the executive should fund it, however, they could decide not to extend their funding beyond the original £62m. What's the play then?

I imagine what is achievable with the £77m banked is diminishing with every passing year. Do we just continue to hold in the hope that they blink?

Nobody pulls the funding if they want to get elected ever again. Political suicide. Not going to happen.

Rossfan

Realism required here lads and lassies.
Build what ye can with what ye've got allocated already by Stormont and the GAA.
The GAA won't have any money to give till the end of the 2022 Championship while Stormont...... ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on February 25, 2021, 08:53:05 AM
Quote from: hardstation on February 25, 2021, 07:19:02 AM
Quote from: trailer on February 24, 2021, 10:44:42 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 24, 2021, 10:32:00 PM
On that site?

I'm not dying about the site and have said a good few times on this thread that moving it somewhere more central would be a better idea. But it needs built and the NI Gov fund it.
Perhaps the executive should fund it, however, they could decide not to extend their funding beyond the original £62m. What's the play then?

I imagine what is achievable with the £77m banked is diminishing with every passing year. Do we just continue to hold in the hope that they blink?

Nobody pulls the funding if they want to get elected ever again. Political suicide. Not going to happen.

You are deluding yourself

Even the 6c GAA folk on here blame the UC.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trailer on February 25, 2021, 08:51:44 AM
18k isn't big enough. We need something that future proofs our games. Fit to hold Ulster championship games.
Make it 25k then and I'm sure if the will was there you could do it for 70 million, if they were able to build 18k in West London. It is really a decision on whether you build something suitable for 99% of the fixtures or do.you build something for the 2 games a year when the capacity "could" be over 25k. It started out as a vanity project and is now a political football - if it had actually been managed at the outset with the best interests of Antrim GAA, Ulster GAA to a lesser extent, and the local area at heart, it could have been built by now.

armaghniac

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 25, 2021, 01:01:32 PM
Make it 25k then and I'm sure if the will was there you could do it for 70 million, if they were able to build 18k in West London. It is really a decision on whether you build something suitable for 99% of the fixtures or do.you build something for the 2 games a year when the capacity "could" be over 25k. It started out as a vanity project and is now a political football - if it had actually been managed at the outset with the best interests of Antrim GAA, Ulster GAA to a lesser extent, and the local area at heart, it could have been built by now.

Antrim is only one county and is the least well supported of all, the stadium should be of benefit to everyone in the 6 counties at least.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

JPGJOHNNYG

When it comes to projects the GAA seem to get done by the builders every time either that or something dodgy is going on. I have shown this example before. The new stand at McHale and the new stand at Leicester rugby were built at the same time for the same capacity for the same money. One looks ten times better >:(

I would be amazed if the GAA could replicate Brentford/london Irish stadium for the same price and thats in London ffs

Tony Baloney

Quote from: armaghniac on February 25, 2021, 01:09:03 PM

Antrim is only one county and is the least well supported of all, the stadium should be of benefit to everyone in the 6 counties at least.
Antrim haven't had a proper county ground since this started. Last I checked the rest of Ulster did.

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on February 25, 2021, 02:01:41 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 25, 2021, 01:09:03 PM

A salient point.

If the other counties could make a monetary contribution to the project reflective of what Antrim have handed over, I dare say there would no longer be an outstanding £33m.

It will still be of more benefit to Antrim than other counties, who have fund raised for their our grounds.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

rrhf

You would wonder will it ever be built in this era.. When you look at what the IFA built and Ulster Rugby built on lesser grants, but with less strategic opposition.  The implications of the delays will continue to be felt most by Antrim Gaels every year until this opens.  If the project cannot start soon, the Antrim county board should be returned the deeds of their asset for sale or development, so they can push on with their own plans. Croke Park / Ulster GAA then need to help Antrim here to get back on their feet.  Is the Maze still available as a greenfield site? A very sorry saga...