An Fhairche Abu!

Started by An Fhairche Abu, February 13, 2012, 01:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

I don't want to post this in the "More Gaa thuggery" thread where there has already been some discussion about it because for me that's not the place for congratulating all associated with the Clonbur team in Croke park yesterday on their huge achievement in winning the All Ireland junior football final.
For a club that is coping with issues that effect many parts of the country such as emigration and rural depopulation but on an even more severe scale than most the trojan efforts of all club members and the people in the locality to even get to Croke park, nevermind to get the win, is fantastic.

Whatever about the semi final furore, Derrytresk came to play football and will feel unlucky not to have held onto the lead until the 60 minutes were up, they had a very good first half performance when Clonbur played poorly and they should have been up by more at the half. The legs looked gone in the last 15 minutes from the prior efforts however and Clonbur were really on top at that stage, despite several bad wides during the 2nd half they hit the front at the most important time in the game.

The county wins in '98 and '01 were days I didn't think would be bettered but when it's "your own" out on the pitch it's even more emotional and exciting to come out on the right side of it. Thanks for all the support from the Davitts club during the game and commiserations to ye on the intermediate final result.

Nice feeling to be heading west for the home coming celebrations at the minute!

GalwayBayBoy

Congrats to An Fhairche. Proud day for north Connemara.

bigtogs

Fair play to clonbur from all at derrytresk you could have well jumped on the band wagon off the dromid/derrytresk melee you did not and won the game on the day fair and square.Your captain made a wonder speech  .We in derrytresk will think for weeks and years to come what if?? But that will not and should not effect clonbur  well done and enjoy your victory to the max.While we in derrytresk seems to have made a few enemies in the gaa over the last few weeks we have made some friends for life and i hope we now can add clonbur to the list..once again enjoy all you have achieved this year.

Tubberman

Comhghairdeachas libh go léir!!
Was listening to the match on mid-west and didn't sound good for ye in the first half, especially when the 2nd penalty was awarded.
But I was delighted when ye finally got the lead score. I'd say the homecoming would be worth witnessing!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ONeill

Congratulations. Clonbur came out fighting in the second half, won the first couple of balls and took it home from there. The big no.9 - deValera's great grandson I believe - was a tower in the second half.

Also, thanks a million to the 2 Clonbur lads who handed me 2 tickets for the Premium section as I queued up for a ticket. As decent a crowd as you'll meet.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Billys Boots

Congrats Clonbur, well done.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Sandino

Congratulations lads, its right that there is a thread to acknowledge your hard fought victory, very well done!
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

GaillimhIarthair

Super result for Clonbur and well done to all involved - I'm sure Burkes will be rockin for the homecoming!

seafoid

Is clonbur still a gaeltacht ? Do people still speak the Gaeilge there? 

spuds

A big comhghairdeachas to Clonbur on their massive success, be some week in the Joyce country !

Was a Mayo under 21 playing for them few years ago as parish crosses border I believe, would there have been any Mayos playing yesterday ?

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

ballinaman

Was at the game myself and it was some performance in the 2nd half. Derrytresk played some great football and you could argue that the intensity of the match was much higher than the intermediate final that followed. Number 14 for Clonbur was immense, was everywhere.
Nice touch to clap Davitts onto the pitch as well. Fair play to them

AZOffaly

Fair play to Paul Scholes togging out the day after the Liverpool United game.

Congrats to Clonbur, a college friend of mine is from there, I'd say there'll be a few pints drank this week.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: spuds on February 13, 2012, 03:03:09 PM
Was a Mayo under 21 playing for them few years ago as parish crosses border I believe, would there have been any Mayos playing yesterday ?

There was definitely at least one former Mayo underage player playing yesterday. His name escapes me. Maybe more but I'm not sure.

Tubberman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 13, 2012, 03:09:59 PM

There was definitely at least one former Mayo underage player playing yesterday. His name escapes me. Maybe more but I'm not sure.

The MOTM from yesterday, Trevor Lydon played underage for Mayo. He's from around Finney I think.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

An Fhairche Abu

A big comhghairdeachas to Clonbur on their massive success, be some week in the Joyce country !

Man of the match Trevor Lydon played for Mayo under 21's

Quote from: seafoid on February 13, 2012, 02:50:55 PM
Is clonbur still a gaeltacht ? Do people still speak the Gaeilge there? 

It is and people still do.