Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyroanAbu

I have no argument with Donie starting every day.  I thought Paul Kingston and Evan O Carroll had a good year.  It was nice to see Evan getting on with playing football rather than play acting.  Fitness has improved, but is this not a basic requirement of any inter county squad ? Sad indictment on what went before. I hope Sugrue stays on, hopefully we have an upward trajectory from here on.  I never want to see the farce that went on in the last five years again.  So can someone start club championship thread.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Nameless

Any word on Healy's injury and whether he'll give the footballers one last year?

Heshs Umpire

Been a lot of progress in the 9 or 10 months since Sugrue took over. Plenty of fresh challenges ahead for him in the next year assuming he stays on. Needs to identify 4 or 5 more players that can possibly make the step up from club to county. Not easy. Not many out there. I'd love to see Conor Boyle and Conor Meredith back in there. Colm Murphy has great potential too.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

steven seagal

I'd like to see Adam Ryan involved too, we've struggled to nail down a left-half back this year and I think he could be very good with a run of training and games under Sugrue. I don't know if he'd have the interest though, he only transferred back to Port this year and hadn't played much while he was away.

We need more options across the backline, in the half-forward line, and probably need to develop a midfielder over the next 2-3 years, and a full-back in the next 1-2 years. Not many candidates for those areas jump out from recent minor or U-20 teams, which will be a problem in a few years time.

Sean Byrne from Port looked a good prospect a couple of years ago as a defender, but I think he's been injured for a while. Sean Moore needs to bulk himself up, James Kelly from Joseph's wasn't helped by being played as a corner-back, think he's better suited to further out the field, a possible roving wing-forward to my mind. Brian Daly, Tyrell from Camross, Diarmuid Whelan, Colin Slevin, Ronan Coffey are a few younger lads that have looked good at times, but need a lot of work to get up to the level required.

Would be hoping David Holland and Chris Finn push on next year, it would allow Attride to move out to the half-back line.

This panel should be in a position to return en masse for 2019, there's at least a year left in everyone, so we have a bit of time to develop players, but it still needs to be treated with a bit of urgency.

Laoiseabu

I'm not trying to be blunt I'm giving my opinion . Most of those players you named are not gonna cut it at senior intercounty level . We are not producing the right kind of player for our senior team . A lot of those lads are lads that had a short stint at Laois underage club football nothing more. We can't keep deluding ourselves here .

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoiseabu on July 11, 2018, 03:57:07 PM
I'm not trying to be blunt I'm giving my opinion . Most of those players you named are not gonna cut it at senior intercounty level . We are not producing the right kind of player for our senior team . A lot of those lads are lads that had a short stint at Laois underage club football nothing more. We can't keep deluding ourselves here .
Dead right, f**k them all. No such thing as late developers. Yep, we wouldn't even take a second look at Damien Comer in Laois, nor Brian Fenton. To hell with them all lads. If you're not a footballer by the age of 13, f**k off.

steven seagal

I know you're not trying to be blunt, and I'm not trying to be blunt here either - this isn't soccer, we can't go out and buy new players.

I agree we're not producing players like we used to, no one could argue with that, but if the lads coming through aren't at that level now, we have to put more work into them to get them up to the level required. We don't have any other option.

If you read what I wrote, you'll see that I never said any of them would cut it at senior level now either, but if we work on them then some of them will. I don't see how we progress as a county, in the short term, without doing that. Long term, we need to improve what we're doing at development squad level, but that won't solve any problems for John Sugrue or whoever is Laois manager in 2-3 years time when he starts losing players to retirement.

Giovanni

Amazing how we're so quick to dismiss young lads on here. It's no wonder they wouldn't bother with it.

I'm pretty sure that ALL of the lads that Steven Seagal has mentioned are well capable of making good inter-country footballers. Whether they do or not, depends primarily on their own level of interest and commitment.

Of course the step up to inter-county football is a a huge one. I remember Brendan Quigley, who might have been the best player in the country at minor and u-21 level, took maybe 3 years to find his feet at senior level. Same for JOL. There is a big step up of course but these young lads are well capable of it if given the time and the support.

Laoiseabu

High Fielder

John Sugrue is a different kettle of fish. I don't think any of those lads can be dismissed because none of them have been coached properly. It is clear to me that Sugrue is capable of developing lads, which is different territory to just picking lads based on natural ability. If you want proof of how good Sugrue is, just look at Dillon and Lillis. Both have improved immeasurably in the last six months in my opinion. Sugrue has come in and shown us what real coaching is. I'd be happy for this man to be employed by the County Board when his time is up with the Seniors, and I hope that's not any time soon

Tony

I don't agree with those comments from Laoisabu. It's 50/50 if they'll make it or not; they should be tried. It's a poor attitude to think they just won't be good enough. Look at the likes of Collins, crowley, dillon and lillis and look how much they've come on this year. I know lillis and dillon are well established but they've been given a new lease of life this year. Iron sharpens iron and giving new lads trials with the county seniors and hopefully bringing some on board for the squad will bring lads on no end. Was highly impressed with a lot of newer faces this year. Ideally we'll have another 5-7new faces for next year battling for spots. I also hope cahir comes back (and the likes of Conor Merideth) for one last good go of it. When he's fit and strong he's some player and we need more top defenders.

Brody,

Cahir Healy, Timmons, Dillon,

Attride, Begley, Collins/Crowley/Merideth

Looks like a solid back line to me.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Tony

Just an experimental 2019 line-up, look at that power house of a FF line  :P. Brendan out as third midfielder if needs be .

Brody,

Cahir Healy, Timmons, Dillon,

Attride, Begley, Collins

JOL, Lillis

Conor Merideth, P. Kingston,  D' O Reilly,

Evan O Carroll, Brendan Quigley, Donie Kingston.

BallyroanAbu