God bless Lily Windsor say all the civil servants

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, January 05, 2010, 08:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Grovelling news report from the BBC

A "nationwide celebration" (does that include Cullaville?) will be held to mark The [British] Queen's Diamond Jubilee, the UK government has announced.

Events to mark The Queen's 60 years on the throne (if she makes it, ffs) will take place in the first weekend of June 2012, with an extra bank holiday being created.

Lord Peter Mandelson said it would be a "truly historic occasion" which would allow the British people to show their "pride and affection" for Lily The Queen.

The Queen's Golden Jubilee in 2002 was marked by celebrations across the UK, including a royal tour and a pop concert at Buckingham Palace (errr, by Brian May of Queen).

First Secretary of State Lord Mandelson told peers that a series of "fitting events" would be held in the summer to 2012 to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and that planning was at an early stage.

He said the British government had agreed to grant an additional bank holiday on Tuesday 5 June to provide a focal point for the celebrations.

In addition, the traditional May Bank Holiday at the end of May will, in 2012, be moved to 4 June to make it a four day weekend (meaning the whole of Ireland will be off on 4 June).

Noting that Queen Victoria Saxe Coburg-Gotha was the only previous British monarch to have reigned for 60 years, Lord Mandelson said 2012 would be a "landmark year".

Hailing The Queen's time as sovereign as "near-perfect", (Jesus H) Lord Mandelson said the celebrations would give the British people the opportunity to show their "great pride and affection" for the Queen and her contribution to British life.

"People across the whole country will want the chance to recognise this remarkable achievement," he said.

How odious can you be Mandy - but hey, if it falls on a weekend Armagh will be playing in the 2012 Ulster, then it gives us two days to recover from, errr, whatever result....
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

pintsofguinness

Great, an extra day off.
It'll coincide with the olympics too I assume?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

gallsman

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 05, 2010, 08:28:32 PM
Great, an extra day off.
It'll coincide with the olympics too I assume?

Olympics more likely to be July or August.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

London Olympics - Friday 27 July to Sunday 11 August 2012.

ziggysego

Wasn't there an extra Bank Holiday Day a few years ago due to Lizzy? I think here in the wee norn, we had the option of having the day off or using it in leu later.
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on January 05, 2010, 08:36:53 PM
London Olympics - Friday 27 July to Sunday 11 August 2012.
when would tickets for the olympics start going on sale do yous know, would they be easy to get? (even for shitty events)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Orior

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha,

You'll never get an MBE with that attitude.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Dougal Maguire

I  remember getting 2 extra holidays during her silver juubilee year in 1977. I was doing my GCE O Levels at the time.
Careful now