American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on October 13, 2008, 07:17:44 AM
Quote from: thejuice on October 13, 2008, 01:22:35 AM
Aye, seems like an exciting finish. Cowboys, Redskins, Panthers,lose while the Eagles beat the 9ers, Falcons beat the Bears (Ryan 301yds, Top NFC South). The Colts absolutley stomped on the Ravens as well.

4 games decided with 10 seconds or less thrilling weekend, Atlanta field goal killed my square for 1250.00 :'(

some kick under pressure all 48 yards of it...

Carmen Stateside

Hopefully yesterdays excitment can carry into tonights Giants Browns game.  Giants going for 5-0! Are they the best in the league now?

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on October 13, 2008, 10:39:16 PM
Hopefully yesterdays excitment can carry into tonights Giants Browns game.  Giants going for 5-0! Are they the best in the league now?

Only by record. The teams they beat have a combined record of 6-16.

Cinc   0-6
was   4-2
Stl     1-4
Sea    1-4

Week 8 they play at Pit then have Dal, Phi,Bal and AZ. If the win all those or only lose 1 game there, yes they are the best.

I know they can only play who they are scheduled against but it has been a cake walk so far.

In the mean time the Bears should be undefeated, look for a run at the end and the Bears tearing it up in the playoffs.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

DrinkingHarp

Big injury in Big D.

Dallas quarterback Tony Romo could be out four weeks with a broken pinkie finger.

Oraisteach

Carmen Stateside

new devil

At least the Red Sox were beat carmen  :)

Carmen Stateside

Yeah and LA :)
Anderson had some game for Cleveland! Bastard! >:(

thejuice

Pacman Jones suspended indefinatly, (month minimum)

Just gets worse for the Cowboys. The guy just cant keep out of trouble.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

DrinkingHarp

How tough are football players?

Would Romo do this?

Mesa State College lineman has pinkie amputated
The Associated PressPublished: October 4, 2008

E-Mail Article

Listen to Article

Printer-Friendly

3-Column Format

Translate

Share Article

Text Size

Trevor Wikre was willing to forgo a finger for football.

The Mesa State College senior offensive lineman fractured his right pinkie so severely in practice on Tuesday, doctors told him he needed immediate surgery. His season and career would be finished.

Instead, Wikre told them to amputate the finger. He's now missing a good portion of his pinkie.

"I'm just short one," Wikre said with a chuckle. "But this game means that much to me. This team means that much to me."

Wikre will miss the Mavericks' game Saturday at Colorado School of Mines, but will be back the following week — albeit with his finger covered in a cast.

Today in Sports

Roundup for Europe

Australia, South Korea and Iran win; Japan draws at home

Rays flay Wakefield and take 3-1 lead
"Football is something that's been in my blood," said Wikre, who's from Berthoud, Colo. "It's something I have a passion for. The game quits everybody eventually — you want to hang on to it as long as you can."

Wikre was going for a block in practice when he caught his finger in a teammate's jersey. At first, he didn't give the ailing pinkie a second thought, thinking the sensation he was feeling inside his glove was a piece of tape that had simply slipped off.

But when he removed his glove, the bone was jutting out, and he was immediately sent to the hospital.

Doctors informed Wikre he would need surgery to insert a pin and that he'd likely be out for up to six months as the finger healed. He couldn't bear the thought of his career ending so abruptly, so he decided to forsake the finger.

"This was the best way to get me back out there," Wikre said. "There are worse things in the world — a pinkie is not that bad in my mind."

The four-year starter is still a little sore that he can't play this weekend. Mesa State, a Division II school in Grand Junction, Colo., has won its last three games, and Wikre didn't want to mess up the mojo.

"We've got a great team," said Wikre, who was an all-Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference player last season. "We've got to keep this rolling."

Instead, he'll mentor his backup on the sideline, shouting encouragement and advice.

"I'll be that big supporter," he said.

The 6-foot-3, 280-pound Wikre said he'll never glance back at his decision with remorse.

What's done is done.

"Never look back on the decisions you make," he said. "Everybody thinks I'm crazy, but anybody that loves sports and has had this camaraderie knows what it's like."

That's why he was willing to part with his pinkie.

"This will be a great story down the line," Wikre said.

thejuice

FOUR NEW TEAMS APPLY FOR IAFL MEMBERSHIP   

QuoteThe IAFL has received membership applications from 4 new teams who hope to play in 2009. With the upcoming strategic plan expected to focus on expanding the sport into new areas of the country, it is encouraging that 3 of the applications come from places where American football has never being played before. Each of these teams will now undertake the new members audit and a final decision on their status will be made by the end of next month. Successful applicants will most likely start playing in the DV-8s league. The IAFL would like to encourage anyone who is interested in joining these teams to contact them at the email addresses listed below. The applicants are:

Carlow Chargers email: itcchargers@gmail.com

Erris Rams (Mayo) email: michael@secondcityracing.com

Tralee Titans email: traleetitans@gmail.com

UCD Sentinels email: ucdaf@hotmail.com

good to see the irish league growing
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

the Deel Rover

Quote from: thejuice on October 15, 2008, 09:07:54 PM
FOUR NEW TEAMS APPLY FOR IAFL MEMBERSHIP   

QuoteThe IAFL has received membership applications from 4 new teams who hope to play in 2009. With the upcoming strategic plan expected to focus on expanding the sport into new areas of the country, it is encouraging that 3 of the applications come from places where American football has never being played before. Each of these teams will now undertake the new members audit and a final decision on their status will be made by the end of next month. Successful applicants will most likely start playing in the DV-8s league. The IAFL would like to encourage anyone who is interested in joining these teams to contact them at the email addresses listed below. The applicants are:

Carlow Chargers email: itcchargers@gmail.com

Erris Rams (Mayo) email: michael@secondcityracing.com

Tralee Titans email: traleetitans@gmail.com

UCD Sentinels email: ucdaf@hotmail.com

good to see the irish league growing

That would be great if they set up a team in Erris would definately be interested in Joining be fcuk all use to them i suppose as i'm not 14 or 15 stone but sure i could be on the special (drinking ) team i suppose
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

thejuice

I played and Im just over 13 stone, and there are plenty lads smaller than me playing. One lad who I played with was 5 ft nothing but he was our best player, who absolutely hammered lads when he tackled. Size isnt that important in the Irish league.

Its not the size of the dog in the fight...........

Rossie11

London NFL tickets arrived today.. Good stuff..

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Rossie11 on October 16, 2008, 02:02:02 PM
London NFL tickets arrived today.. Good stuff..

get them on ebay fast Rossie ;) :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001