Saturday July 22 Cork v Mayo, Gaelic Grounds, 5PM

Started by Lar Naparka, July 10, 2017, 03:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: Rossfan on July 13, 2017, 08:40:33 PM
You've been dying all week to have a go at someone who wasn't impressed by McStay's efforts earlier in the year.
Fair play to well paid manager prepares team to be mentally and physically fit for 1st big Championship game in July with 9 months notice.
One big swallow alright but next game will tell how good the Summer is.
The real work starts now. Let's hope he can do as well when he has only 6 days notice of who our next opponents are.
I was giving him 1/10 during NFL, 2/10 at end of it. Giving him 5/10 now.
The man I said wasn't an IC footballer had his best game - because he was sent out from the danger area to where he could horse and battle.
Again he needs to do as well again 30th July.
I hope he does as contrary to your perceptions I want to see every Ros player do very well and by extension the manager/ment.

Apologies to the Co.  Mayo lads for ruining their thread.

No apologies needed Rossfan it's good craic and good to see you on the rise. Anyone for a Mayo Ross semifinal??

Rossfan

Long shot - ye have to bate the Langers and the Fishers have to bate the Herrins.
Then we have to bate the Fishers and ye'll have to bate the kutehoors.

But t'would be some craic.
Syfīn wouldn't know who to support :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on July 13, 2017, 09:23:28 PM
Long shot - ye have to bate the Langers and the Fishers have to bate the Herrins.
Then we have to bate the Fishers and ye'll have to bate the kutehoors.

But t'would be some craic.
Syfīn wouldn't know who to support :-[

That wouldn't really surprise me if ye met to be honest. One game at a time etc
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Il Bomber Destro

Mayo will win this handy, draw has unfolded well for them - they've got the weakest Provincial runner up in Cork and a good chance they will get the weakest Provinical winner in Roscommon. I think they should be chomping for Kerry in the quarters though, Kerry are 3/4 weeks cold in that case and Mayo will have a bit of momentum built up. A semi-final meeting takes those advantages away from Mayo.

larryin89

Cork are the value bet of the championship. Apart from our really piss poor form , there is strong rumour of a very unsettled camp, this tends to happen when a team is finished , some lads find it very hard to accept after such a trojan effort.  A nice softly does it exit is what the whole of Mayo need players and supporters.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Would be a nice way to go and kind of fitting in a way that it would be v Cork.
It was against then AI Champions Cork that this team announced its arrival as a  major force in 2011.
Despite my not being a lover of things Rhubarb it's still a pity ye didn't win Sam one if the years.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 18, 2017, 09:01:19 AM
It was against then AI Champions Cork that this team announced its arrival as a  major force in 2011.
Despite my not being a lover of things Rhubarb it's still a pity ye didn't win Sam one if the years.

A much more fitting exit would be losing to us in Croker. Losing to this Cork team would be Longford 2010 embarrassing.

ballinaman

Quote from: larryin89 on July 18, 2017, 08:52:18 AM
Cork are the value bet of the championship. Apart from our really piss poor form , there is strong rumour of a very unsettled camp, this tends to happen when a team is finished , some lads find it very hard to accept after such a trojan effort.  A nice softly does it exit is what the whole of Mayo need players and supporters.
Bullshit. Lads are in great form. Expect them to ate the langers. Up Mayo. " We will not go quietly into the night ".  ;)

seafoid

It would be significant if the wheels fell off against Cork.  Mayo and Cork are similar versions of the same psychological problem except that Cork can eventually manage the odd all Ireland. They both lose a lot of finals . Could Mayo not go out in the style of the fillim gladiator ? Winning the final by point and then dying

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on July 18, 2017, 09:22:41 AM

A much more fitting exit would be losing to us in Croker. Losing to this Cork team would be Longford 2010 embarrassing.

I love 2010 :D

larryin89

Of course its a pity they didnt grab one but such is life . Despite all the little niggles and sneering by some neutrals , i actually believe most GAA people would of liked  to see this Mayo team win one .But they wi be remembered as a very good side with some brilliant displays from 2011-2016.

Despite all that we have to move on and build for the future now , we still are div one and have a realistic chance of getting to super 8 next year (home games v galway and ross are due in provincial 18) . Loftus looks a prospect to replace Andy. Stephen coen i think has really shown he has the quality to make an impact. Durcan and diarmuid are already established , just need to keep adding 2/3  new players in 18 and 19 to slot in for retirements but these bucks will not be easy replaced.

Look im 40 now, ill give up the smokes when we exit this year, so i still might see them lift sam if i get another 20 years .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Crete Boom

I'll take a flukey one point win in this one. I just can't shake the feeling that Powter, Kerrigan & Co will run all day right through the heart of our defence, combined with high ball rained down on top of Kelleher & Caff that will cause us untold problems. Ian McGuire is no mug in midfield so we have to hope we fire up front to try and keep our noses in front.
We never put away teams these days so the longer we leave Cork in the game the moe confident they will get and they have enough about the to take Mayo out!!
If we have a slow start Cork could get far enough ahead that we can't reel them in!!
I am going to wear my Farrandeelin cap for this one and say I'm worried we will be ambushed in Limerick!!
We definitely need another powerhouse performance from Aidan in this game to see us through!!

macdanger2

Jaysus, there's no end of people lining up to write this team's obituary, I think they have a bit left in the tank yet though.

I'd say brehony, mcgee and others have their articles already penned for when it happens and I'd safely say there'll be several irrelevant references to the H&C saga in both

Ball Hopper

Curtain Raiser in Limerick sees Kerry and Leitrim in the All-Ireland semi-final of the junior football.

I read somewhere that 7/8 of the Leitrim squad that won Connacht are now ineligible as they featured in the Senior championship thereafter.  Is that true?

highorlow

I'd be worried if we got 7 to 8 points down after 20mins. Likely panic would set in. Hopefully the slow start the last day was tactical but it's been a habit for a while now. One thing is we don't want to give them a sniff as they could gain in confidence and we could likely erode.

I'd imagine we will be dictating this one from the start though and should be able to dominate with our running game and AOS in FF this time.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go