Well that is just shit.

imtommygunn

A real sickener the way it panned out.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

paddyjohn

Quote from: Saffrongael on March 06, 2022, 05:23:30 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on March 06, 2022, 05:08:35 PM
Do we have only 1 free taker?

You would be doing well to get McManus off the frees no matter how he is going on them

Surely the call should of come from the sideline

Kidder81

The lack of composure and decision making was worrying. Think that has to be the end of the Nugent experiment at #11, it's edge of the square maybe last 15 mins for him at best. Doesent have the mobility or stickwork for that level. Very disappointing day, Laois nothing special and we played them for about 50 mins a man down.

As few poster have said there should be someone there to take the frees when McManus isn't at it, and missing a 65 at Div 1 level is fairly rare I would have thought.

A reality check and no bad thing, outside the confines of Corrigan I had a feeling it would be more difficult.

Jonkunlon

All that's been said today is hard to argue with. Yet a few seasons back if someone told us we'd be competitive in division one we'd have scoffed.

McManus and others had an off day.

James McNaughton made a significant impact upon arrival and Eoghan Campbell was super throughout. This style of player is what we should be trying to develop from underage. Fast, agile and well rounded. Eoghan is looking a little rounded in another way. Is he carrying weight or is he simply beefed up?

NAG1

Some baffling selections on yesterdays team and subs.

Some baffling decisions in terms of game itself by players on the pitch and the management.

How we havent changed the free taker is unbelievable, this should have been one of the priorities after the Waterford game and it came back to bite us yesterday.

Kidder81

Quote from: NAG1 on March 07, 2022, 09:43:14 AM

Some baffling decisions in terms of game itself by players on the pitch and the management.

How we havent changed the free taker is unbelievable, this should have been one of the priorities after the Waterford game and it came back to bite us yesterday.

It was also an issue in the Dublin game, 2 or 3 fairly straightforward ones missed

NAG1

Quote from: Kidder81 on March 07, 2022, 09:54:54 AM

It was also an issue in the Dublin game, 2 or 3 fairly straightforward ones missed

We cant be giving up 3/4 points in any game to any of this opposition, point being there is 95% + free taker on the starting 15 yesterday and probably 99% one on the bench.

Kidder81

Quote from: NAG1 on March 07, 2022, 10:11:36 AM
Quote from: Kidder81 on March 07, 2022, 09:54:54 AM

We cant be giving up 3/4 points in any game to any of this opposition, point being there is 95% + free taker on the starting 15 yesterday and probably 99% one on the bench.

James McNaughton? Regardless of frees he should be starting anyway, how Gleeson can't see that is bewildering. One of the few we have with genuine pace

imtommygunn

Any time we play Laois he really bothers them with his pace. Even when he was very young and light he did - I mind games from probably 4 or 5 years ago where he did.

Every time we seem to be making progress we seem to get that dunt back down to earth  :(

NAG1

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 07, 2022, 10:42:51 AM
Any time we play Laois he really bothers them with his pace. Even when he was very young and light he did - I mind games from probably 4 or 5 years ago where he did.

Every time we seem to be making progress we seem to get that dunt back down to earth  :(

Yeah but this one seems worse because it is mostly self inflicted, Laois were decent yesterday but outside of that they were not special. The error count just let the game slip from us at a crucial stage. Similar to a spell in the Waterford game when we got turned over from two short puck outs for scores.

imtommygunn

Yeah even the winning score came from an error - and more or less unforced  :(

It's a big setback really. Disappointing but hopefully we use it in the Joe McDonagh. It'll not be easy won.

Down flying again yesterday. I see someone on twitter saying the ulster championship should be brought back. It'd definitely be more interesting these days I think.

north_antrim_hound

That was a long drive home yesterday and hard to get over. Lots of valid points made and can't argue with any of it. Didn't hurl in the first half and I couldn't figure out what way we where set up. Players who could hold their heads up, Campbell was outstanding, mc Keirnan was the smallest player on the pitch but had the biggest heart for the ball, Walsh was steady but the rest where very poor
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Milltown Row2

A few points to take from the game and season so far, it was always going to be a battle, considering the teams we would be meeting, we have put in great displays against teams that have been battle harden in Div 1 for a while. Bar the second half against Dublin we have matched a lot of the bigger teams.

Chedder had penciled in this game from the start, this is your season defining game, they were pumped up so much that they had a man sent off and we still couldn't match the fight, we panicked and played hail Mary balls into the forwards which is meat and drink to defenders, our body language at halftime walking off the pitch was poor, or looked poor from watching on TV others at the game could probably have a better view on that.

This is all before we go on about free takers, Neil has stepped up and nailed hundred of frees over the years, there is a different type of temperament required to do that for the club and county and he has in most cases gets the big scores, whether the weather or pressure was different yesterday I don't know, but I rather have him on the pitch.

In the second half we had 3 other top notch free takers, Clarkey has been brilliant last season, I'm not sure why he hasn't been involved as much this year, James had an arm  injury so that's why he hasn't been involved as much, so that was a factor also possibly. Cunning generally dead eye too.  That aside I was more concerned with our approach play and accuracy from open play never mind frees.

We lost the match over the 73 minutes we played, hopefully that game will give them a kick up the hole
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea