Started by johnneycool, June 20, 2016, 12:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

All-Ireland Hurling Championship Qualifiers Round 1:

Wexford v Offaly

Westmeath v Limerick

Clare v Laois

Cork v Dublin

Two toughies to call in there. Will the home venue swing it the way of Wexford and Cork?

Hard not to see Clare and Limerick not continuing.

AZOffaly

Offaly did beat Wexford by 8 points down there in the league, but it's not a ground we ever loved going to. Limerick would want to be careful in Mullingar. That's exactly the sort of draw Westmeath would have wanted. Can't see Laois getting anything other than a scutching and a cup of tea in Ennis. Dublin and Cork could be very interesting. I'm not impressed with Dublin's hurling this year, it's very sloppy, but Cork's was even worse in any of the games I saw them. Where will this game be? They'll hardly have it in Pairc Ui Rinn will they?

waterfordlad

It'll have to be Pairc Ui Rinn. It's home ties for this stage of qualifiers and Pairc Ui Rinn can probably hold 15000 or so which should be adequate for this game. Dublin fans don't travel in big numbers for hurling anyway and with Cork's form this year won't be huge demand from them either.

johnneycool

Cork v Wexford
Clare v Limerick

Cork getting a pretty favourable draw to get a bit of confidence under their belt, I can see them beat Wexford, but that's their summer over unless Lehane and Harnedy can somehow propel them to greater feats after this. Wexford aren't progressing as they were two years ago, a bit of a lull it seems..

Limerick forwards were non existent in the last Munster championship outing, they'll need to turn up on Saturday to stand a chance but there's quite a lot of pressure on their neighbours to go a lot further than this considering the dream team along the line meaning to have them pushing for honours and after 2013 anything other than a run out in Croke Park will be considered a poor season, still think Clare will have enough, but hopefully Limerick will give it a right rattle. This could possibly be the best game of the weekend.

Dubhaltach

Does anybody know if repeat pairings are prevented in the quarter finals? e.g. Is it possible for Waterford and Clare to meet again in the quarters. I know repeat pairings were prevented for round 2 of the qualifiers but not sure after that.

johnneycool

Well done the strawberry pickers, had bigger set of swingers to fight to the end and get the result.

Wex were winning most of the physical exchanges at both ends of the park and that gave them the platform for victory and even after the Cork goal they went straight up the field and tacked on two points. Big game from McDonald who at 22 could be something else if the support is there. He can win his own ball, high or low and was probably the difference in the two teams.

Where now for Cork? Their defence is way too feeble and doesn't put the fear of god into anyone and it's not that some are good, wristy hurlers either who can, hook, block or flick the ball away. Serious overhaul needed there. Forwards need, low fast ball and with the defence under pressure aren't getting it. Harnedy can win his own ball, but has had a terrible year, Horgan, Cadogan and Lehane aren't winning any ball and need someone up with them to do the spade work
It'd be harsh on Kingston to get rid as these barren years were foreseen years ago.
Staying in Div1A may now be a poison chalice as 1B is really where this team is at.

imtommygunn

I was surprised cork beat dublin as cork have dropped off a lot. Mcdonald has serious potential though for wexford and apparently chin playing great stuff.

I think dublin have a bit of unrest in the camp. I noticed keaney on twitter giving off which probably calls into question his retirement.

Didn't see the games but by the sound of it clare continue to flatter to deceive a bit. Limerick were awful against tipp and i don't think they 're going well under ryan at all. They are betterthan they're showing.

I could see clare playing waterford again now.  Clare have serious players if they fire and imo are the only team with the players who MIGHT beat kilkenny.

On a sidenote is it not time for loughnane to shut up. He just comes across as a bit of a bitter idiot with the galway stuff and no call for personal digs at the cannings.

seafoid

Wex vs Wat so must be gy v
Vs ce

Easy enough semi for KK
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Roashter

Kilkenny will play winners of Waterford v Wexford
Tipperary will play winners of Clare v Galway

The Wedger

Can we just fast forward the next 2 months and have the inevitable Kilkenny versus Tipperary final.  :(

Canalman

Quote from: The Wedger on July 11, 2016, 10:58:52 AM
Can we just fast forward the next 2 months and have the inevitable Kilkenny versus Tipperary final.  :(

Think Clare will have a say still in this championship. Galway with a sting in the tail ???? They certainly can take anybody out on a given day but cannot seem to be able to string together the 3 game streak to win it out.

Would love to see a Clare v Tipp semi final.

The Ws are both just making up the numbers Imo of course.

seafoid

Very bad summer for Cork , Limerick and the Dubs
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Canalman on July 11, 2016, 11:16:43 AM
Quote from: The Wedger on July 11, 2016, 10:58:52 AM

Think Clare will have a say still in this championship. Galway with a sting in the tail ???? They certainly can take anybody out on a given day but cannot seem to be able to string together the 3 game streak to win it out.

Would love to see a Clare v Tipp semi final.

The Ws are both just making up the numbers Imo of course.
If Waterford win then they have to play Kilkenny

Zulu

Poor game so far and Wexford are absolutely woeful. I thought they were poor against both Offaly and Cork but thought that momentum might give them a bit of a boost but it appears they are simply a poor team who are where they are on the basis of playing in a competition with a shallow pool. This game would be well over if Waterford were a bit smarter with their shot selection.

Milltown Row2

Next game should be a cracker, think Galway may steal it here... really hard to call
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea