Keaney retires

Started by Declan, April 08, 2016, 08:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

See Conal confirmed that he's retired from the hurlers. Great servant to the Dubs and the best hurler we've produced.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: Declan on April 08, 2016, 08:54:07 AM
See Conal confirmed that he's retired from the hurlers. Great servant to the Dubs and the best hurler we've produced.

Great dual player too.

johnneycool

Quote from: Declan on April 08, 2016, 08:54:07 AM

A brave few miles on the clock all in, but what age of a lad would he be?

orangeman

Great player. To play after after the accident was remarkable in itself.

AZOffaly

Best wishes to him. A very powerful hurler for the Dubs, always a threat in the air and well able to take a score. Fair play to him.

imtommygunn

I would have preferred to see Castlebar win the AI club but I was glad for him to win that AI medal. I'm sure being a Dub he may not be short of them but I thought he'd retired before the dubs won any in the football??

Very good hurler - particularly strong fielder. Was never sure if he was forward or CHB but he was very versatile.

Declan

QuoteA brave few miles on the clock all in, but what age of a lad would he be?

imtommygunn

Did he ever get a football AI Declan?

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 08, 2016, 10:22:49 AM

Don't think so.

Best of luck to him. He was around with Bud when we did the Pieta House thing, nice fella.
MWWSI 2017

Roashter

Don't think he got one which was a big pity.
He left the footballers in 2010 and they won in 2011

imtommygunn

Thought that. I was glad to see him get the club as I thought he hadn't got one.

Bud Wiser

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 08, 2016, 10:22:49 AM
All-Ireland U21 in 2005
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Bud Wiser

From our Community Council FB Page.

Know this will be covered on other media sources but.....our own little tribute !
Conal Keaney has announced his retirement from inter-county hurling and football and that is one hell of a sad announcement to everyone who enjoyed watching him play, especially all the younger players who will continue to look up to him. Conal won his first All-Ireland medal in 2003 when Dublin won U21 All-Ireland championship.

He was selected for the Dublin senior football team in 2005 when he won his first Leinster Championship medal against Laois. (which as a Laois man he constantly reminds me) He went on to win four more Leinster Football titles and while doing so he was nominated for Vodafone player of the month, highest scorer, man of the match and other awards and was selected for Ireland's International Rules team.

Along with the U21 All-Ireland medal he has 5 Leinster Senior Football medals, 1 Leinster Senior Hurling medal and 1 National League senior hurling medal. He represented Leinster in the Railway Cup (2006) when he was nominated for an All-Star. The "Dublin Hurling Resurgance" was due in no small way to the leadership of Conal and when Dublin defeated Kilkenny in the Walsh Cup there was a great buzz around Ballyboden and Firhouse. Conal played a key role in Dublin's hurling resurgence, scoring 14 points, and winning 'Man of the Match' in Dublin's defeat of the reigning All-Ireland hurling champions, Tipperary, in February 2011.

Few of us will ever forget the 22nd July 2011 when news filtered through to where we worked that Conal had been in a motorbike accident. Would Dublin have won an All-Ireland in 2011 had that accident not happened? They had beaten Limerick and their next game was against Tipp and he was raring to go so, whether they would have won the All-Ireland or not, the loss of Conal was a huge factor. When someone like Henry Shefflin gives him a special mention in his autobiography, that loss through injury is put in perspective.

At club level for Ballyboden he won 2 county senior football titles and five senior hurling titles. There are a lot of children on green spaces around Firhouse swinging hurls today who will always and forever look up to him. The winning of the All-Ireland Club Senior Football Championship on Patrick's Day was surely the icing on the cake and the perfect pedestal from which to announce his retirement from his Inter-County career.

Thank you Conal for all the enjoyment you gave. Thank you for being the gentleman that you are. Best of luck with your company, Park Bikes and of course the good news is that some golf club is going to gain a scratch golfer!
http://phoenixparkbikes.com/
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Bud Wiser

correct 2003 and then 2005 to the seniors.