The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: APM on June 01, 2020, 04:18:06 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 01, 2020, 03:47:46 PM
America is right on the edge. I mean a real breakdown of society is quite possible.

Don't know about others, but I see serious parallels between this and 1969 here. 
Nothing united about the United States.

You've also got an ongoing pandemic and a president who it seems would sacrifice a million citizens if it meant he got reelected.
i usse an speelchekor

Gmac

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on June 01, 2020, 04:19:28 PM
America is right on the edge. I mean a real breakdown of society is quite possible.

Don't know about others, but I see serious parallels between this and 1969 here. 

You've also got an ongoing pandemic and a president who it seems would sacrifice a million citizens if it meant he got reelected.
how would sacrificing a million people help him get re-elected? Would it not do the opposite.

sid waddell

Quote from: Gmac on June 01, 2020, 03:27:19 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 01, 2020, 09:35:24 AM
Quote from: Gmac on June 01, 2020, 01:44:34 AM
from what I'm seeing it doesn't matter it's just a looting and burning exercise now . George who ?

Translation: "pipe down, black people, and know your place".

The reason there are protests is that American police are behaving like a rabid white supremacist mob.

And the US president is an out of control racist and fascist.

If you're a Catholic from the North of Ireland, you should understand all this stuff.

If you don't understand it, you're flicking a two fingers sign at Irish history and its lessons.
just like the footage of George Floyd's death the camera doesn't lie what's on the footage is what's happening.
The camera doesn't lie. We have video after video after video of police behaving in a brutal manner towards protesters.

And that's what matters.

The anger at police and the ruling fascist regime of Trump is entirely justified, and then some.

This is the issue.

The behaviour of the police in the US is reminiscent of the Black And Tans in this country.

J70

Quote from: Gmac on June 01, 2020, 05:17:46 PM

how would sacrificing a million people help him get re-elected? Would it not do the opposite.

He exaggerates obviously.

But, this is the man who thought it was good policy to take babies and young children and drag them away from their screaming mothers at the border. Trump is completely absent of morals, empathy and general humanity.

In fairness to him and his political instincts, I'm sure the child separation played well with a certain section of his base.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 31, 2020, 09:54:28 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 30, 2020, 10:18:38 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 17, 2020, 09:59:06 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 24, 2020, 08:17:15 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 16, 2020, 04:59:46 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 13, 2020, 08:04:29 PM
Okay, sorry for the mishap with the last one, I've fixed it below, and the latest odds are at the bottom:

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 12, 2020, 07:36:24 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 11, 2020, 05:04:22 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 09, 2020, 05:45:48 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 08, 2020, 01:35:58 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 02, 2020, 06:30:02 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 28, 2020, 06:17:47 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 27, 2020, 08:43:14 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 25, 2020, 04:56:59 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 24, 2020, 01:00:17 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 22, 2020, 05:25:27 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 20, 2020, 10:40:56 PM
Delegate count:
Buttigieg 22
Sanders 21
Warren 8
Klobuchar 7
Biden 6
Bloomberg 0

Betting odds for 2020 winner:

Trump 8/13
Sanders 4/1
Bloomberg 9/1
Biden 20/1

Bloomberg took a hiding last night. He was like a duck out of water. Warren obliterated him. Will be interesting to see how that affects the polling numbers over the next few days, and if his high burn rate can take the bad look off it. I just wish he'd get out of the race and put his money into something useful like flipping the 4 senate seats we're going to need.
Odds update:
Trump: 8/13
Sanders: 7/2 (3.5/1)
Bloomberg: 8/1
Biden: 22/1

Bernie's odds moving in the right direction. Biden, not so much.

Democratic candidate:
Sanders: 1/1
Bloomberg: 4/1
Buttigieg:8/1
Biden: 9/1

Update:
Delegate count:
Sanders 31
Buttigieg 22
Warren 8
Biden 8
Klobuchar 7
Bloomberg 0

2020 winner:
Sanders: 3/1
Bloomberg: 10/1
Biden: 25/1

Democratic candidate:
Sanders: 5/6
Buttigieg:11/1
Biden: 11/1

Interesting that Chrome still thinks "Buttigieg" is a typo.

2020 winner:
Sanders: 29/10 (2.9/1)
Bloomberg: 10/1
Biden: 28/1

Democratic candidate:
Sanders: 4/5
Biden: 10/1
Buttigieg:12/1

2020 winner:
Bloomberg: 12/1
Biden: 12/1

Democratic candidate:
Sanders: 10/11
Biden: 4/1
Bloomberg: 11/2
Buttigieg:20/1

Bloomberg and Buttigeig getting it tight.

Bernie's odds are slipping slightly in the general election, but he's still the favourite to get the nomination.

2020 winner:
Sanders: 10/3 (3.3/1)
Biden: 9/1
Bloomberg: 12/1

Democratic candidate:
Sanders: 10/11
Biden: 13/4
Bloomberg: 6/1
Buttigieg:20/1

This stock market crash might throw a spanner in the works. It was this kind of October surprise that worked in Obama's favor in 2008 when "the fundamentals of our economy [were] strong" until they weren't. Trump might cruise to reelection if the economy stays strong, but the coronavirus could change all that.

Get in there Bernie!

Delegate count:
Sanders: 58
Biden: 50
Buttigeig: 26 (I wonder what happens to delegates after a candidate pulls out)
Warren: 8
Klobuchar: 7

2020 winner:
Trump: 4/6
Biden: 13/2 (6.5/1)
Bloomberg: 16/1

Democratic candidate:
Sanders: 1/1
Biden: 5/2
Bloomberg: 7/1
Hillary Clinton(!): 33/1

This is the first we've seen Trump's odds moving in a while. Could be the coronavirus effect. Damned if I know why they're showing odds for Hillary instead of the likes of Warren or Klobuchar who are actually in the race.

Delegate count:
Biden 664
Sanders 573

2020 winner:
Trump: 4/5
Biden: 13/8 (1.6/1)
Sanders: 16/1

Democratic candidate:
Biden: 1/7
Sanders: 9/1

2020 winner:
Trump: 10/11
Biden: 6/4
Sanders: 18/1

Democratic candidate:
Biden: 1/8

Trump getting it tight. Looking good for Biden if these odds keep moving the way they are. If he puts Warren on his ticket as VP, that should pick up enough Bernie supporters in November. This could be the light at the end of the tunnel.

Delegate count:
Biden 664
Sanders 573

2020 winner:
Trump: 4/5
Biden: 13/8 (1.6/1)
Sanders: 16/1

Democratic candidate:
Biden: 1/7
Delegate count:
Biden 857
Sanders 709

2020 winner:
Trump: 10/11 (1/1.1)
Biden: 13/10 (1.3/1)
Sanders: No longer in the top 4

Democratic candidate:
Biden: 1/14
Sanders: 40/1

2020 winner:
Trump: 1/1
Biden: 15/13
Sanders: 50/1
Deval Patrick: 50/1

Democratic candidate:
Biden: 1/16
Sanders: 33/1

The trend is unmistakable.

2020 winner:
Trump: 11/10
Biden: 11/10
Sanders: 33/1
Deval Patrick: 33/1

Democratic candidate:
Biden: 1/12
Sanders: 25/1

Game over for Trump, it seems. Although it's a long way to November, but I'm not sure how he can come back from this. He can't lie or spin his way out of this. Not even Fox News can help him when the dead start piling up.

From what I saw of the debate it looked like Bernie was knocking it out of the park while Joe was wandering off into the weeds.  Still, Bernie seems to be getting it tight now.

2020 winner:
Mike Pence: 33/1

Democratic candidate:
Biden: 1/12

Funny old game.

2020 winner:
Trump: 1/1

WTF is the matter with people?

2020 winner:
Trump: 10/11
Biden: 5/4

Seems like Trump's lash-out-at-the-media-and-shoot-the-messenger strategy is paying off.

But if Biden does get in somehow, I could see him serving one term and then someone like Newsom having a go.

I wouldn't write Biden off yet. It's a long way to November and a lot of dead bodies are going to be piled up between now and then thanks to Donald. A lot will depend on how successful he is in shifting blame away from himself. He'll take credit for anything that goes right and deflect blame for anything that goes wrong, which will play well with the religious crowd who are used to doing that sort of thing with God. I don't know if it'll be enough with swing voters though.
Well well well. Trump starting to get it tight again. Maybe his supporters are dropping dead with the virus.

2020 winner:
Trump 1/1
Biden 5/4

Wheisht! Trump getting it tight now.

2020 winner:
Trump: 11/10 (1.1/1)
Biden: 15/13 (1.15/1)

Well well well. Now it's even. Trump's odds of reelection are in freefall. As the covid death toll mounts and the riots spread, I expect to see him get even more desperate. Expect more scapegoating of China, Mexico, immigrants, and people of colour in the next few months. That includes you, Whitey. I assume you're an immigrant. Don't for one minute think he has your back.

2020 winner:
Biden 11/10

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Gmac on June 01, 2020, 05:17:46 PM

How many have needlessly died due to COVID because The Donald sought to chase the short-term economy for his reelection?

How many will die over the coming months as he continues to chase the short-term economy?

Now, add these riots and his ego's need to appear as the strongman.

I suppose I should amend my original statement to:

... and a president who it seems would sacrifice a million citizens if he thought it meant he got reelected.
i usse an speelchekor

Gmac

Quote from: sid waddell on June 01, 2020, 05:19:26 PM
from what I'm seeing it doesn't matter it's just a looting and burning exercise now . George who ?

The reason there are protests is that American police are behaving like a rabid white supremacist mob.

If you're a Catholic from the North of Ireland, you should understand all this stuff.

If you don't understand it, you're flicking a two fingers sign at Irish history and its lessons.
just like the footage of George Floyd's death the camera doesn't lie what's on the footage is what's happening.
The camera doesn't lie. We have video after video after video of police behaving in a brutal manner towards protesters.

And that's what matters.

The anger at police and the ruling fascist regime of Trump is entirely justified, and then some.

This is the issue.

The behaviour of the police in the US is reminiscent of the Black And Tans in this country.
what about videos of innocent people trying to protect their businesses and getting beat to an inch of their life or the homeless guy getting his stuff burnt and the crowd cheering you see any of those videos? I see both .

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Gmac on June 01, 2020, 06:19:57 PM
what about videos of innocent people trying to protect their businesses and getting beat to an inch of their life or the homeless guy getting his stuff burnt and the crowd cheering you see any of those videos? I see both .

What about them?

Are they relevant to police brutality?

Are you saying the police are brutal only to the perpetrators of such action?
i usse an speelchekor

sid waddell

Quote from: sid waddell on June 01, 2020, 05:19:26 PM

And that's what matters.

This is the issue.

Yeah but the point is this. US police are not supposed to act like a racist death squad.

The extreme anger at them doing so is righteous and just.

The issues facing the black community here are the same ones faced by oppressed peoples everywhere, throughout history, and very similar to those faced by Irish people both north and south at the hands of British state forces.

I sympathise a lot with anybody who has had a business burned down and of course that is wrong. But we don't actually know who is doing it. It is very likely the case that some protestors have overstepped the mark in certain instances. But it may well also be the case that right-wing agents provocateurs are deliberately inciting violence - and that would be a much bigger story - because it would prove that there are very sinister forces at work not just against black people in everyday life, but against their very right to even protest. Such acts would amount to outright fascist tactics. Certainly the anecdotal evidence tells us that that is indeeed happening and US intelligence also says that outside forces are intent on fomenting as much violence and chaos as possible.

If indeed some of the violence has been caused by people who are genuinely angry with police, that is very unhelpful - but at the same time it is very understandable - black people are simply fed up of the continuing endemic racism of white America - and it has been shown that peaceful protests only get you so far. Look at how Colin Kaepernick was treated, completely frozen out of the NFL for no other reason than he took a knee. It's 52 years since MLK was murdered by a white supremacist and black people are still fighting the same fights. Frustration at the lack of success of peaceful protest inevitably breeds massive resentment. And judging by the videos over the last few days, police across the US seem intent on egging on violence rather than stopping it, and engaging in their own wanton violence.

Again, the issue is police brutality, racism, and the fascist in the White House. This is the story - not property damage caused by angry people.

Violence is of course regrettable - but property damage can always be repaired. It is not the issue. Focussing on it is a deliberate deflection from the issue.

The issue is the racism, the brutality, the injustice. Black lives taken by police lynchings can't be repaired.

This is why there is anger, because the black community sees that nothing ever changes. In fact things have got worse.

Gmac

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on June 01, 2020, 06:50:22 PM

What about them?

no the police aren't doing anything to protect businesses or the owners , what does looting a target 5 miles from a protest have to do with George Floyd .

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Gmac on June 01, 2020, 06:58:05 PM
no the police aren't doing anything to protect businesses or the owners , what does looting a target 5 miles from a protest have to do with George Floyd .

f**k all to do with George Floyd.

But here is the difference - no one is excusing their actions - you are trying to excuse the police.
i usse an speelchekor

Gmac

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on June 01, 2020, 06:59:58 PM

f**k all to do with George Floyd.

But here is the difference - no one is excusing their actions - you are trying to excuse the police.
no

sid waddell

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on June 01, 2020, 06:50:22 PM

What about them?

What does it have to do with the actual issue - police brutality and endemic racism?

In January 1972 14 innocent people were massacred in Derry.

Using your narrative and the narrative of certain other posters here, the real story was not the 14 massacred by British paratroopers - but the burning down of the British embassy in Dublin a few days later.

But the burning down of the British embassy, regrettable as it was, wasn't the issue. It happened because a few people in a crowd of thousands went too far. That crowd had justified and righteous rage at the extreme injustice of the butchering of 14 innocent people on their own streets by British forces. That a few idiots went too far did not invalidate that justified and righteous rage in any way.

The cold blooded murder of those innocent people in Derry by British forces, and the barbaric injustice at the heart of it, was the issue.