Mayo v Armagh- Round 3 Qualifier

Started by Mayo4Sam14, June 24, 2019, 11:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveballaghback

Quote from: moysider on June 26, 2019, 11:39:52 PM
Every Mayo person knows the game is up. As it turns out injuries as well as age have done us for sure.
Mayo now remind me of my old ageing Labrador dogs. They used to look sprightly enough 10/11 years of age and could do pretty much what they always did. But it's like there s a time bomb attached to their DNA.  They might make 13 but not many labs make 14.
Mayo reminds me of those old dogs. The fans/ owners want them to wind the clock back but that is impossible. The injuries to Parsons, Ruane and Diarmuid are health complications that just comes for the death in case fans/ owners are under any illusions that things might get better. Under the circumstances making the Super 8s  would be a very good year.
Jaysus moysider you are gone to the dogs.

larryin89

The game is up i agree but still doesn't stop Mayo football, the show goes on albeit our expectations are back to a more normalized position for a county that hasn't won the big prize in nearly 70 years now . The lads coming through should be setting a target of reaching super 8 regular and I think that's as far as it goes an odd semi final would be great . Point is new crop not near as good as old crop but again it's no harm to them cause that was a savage side who were just a tad shy of winning it out.

Would not be surprised if we beat Armagh well though , very poor defenders imo liable to ship a big score . It looks like we are going to set up to dominate the middle third and starve them of possession
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Captain Obvious

Quote from: larryin89 on June 28, 2019, 01:41:39 PM
The game is up i agree but still doesn't stop Mayo football, the show goes on albeit our expectations are back to a more normalized position for a county that hasn't won the big prize in nearly 70 years now . The lads coming through should be setting a target of reaching super 8 regular and I think that's as far as it goes an odd semi final would be great . Point is new crop not near as good as old crop but again it's no harm to them cause that was a savage side who were just a tad shy of winning it out.

Would not be surprised if we beat Armagh well though , very poor defenders imo liable to ship a big score . It looks like we are going to set up to dominate the middle third and starve them of possession

This much is true however I'd ask the question who on that Mayo forward line is liable to score big?

Mayo4Sam14

I'm quite worried about tomorrow, I could see a potential banana skin popping up again in the qualifiers again. However, if they make it out alive I can still see Mayo giving any team, Dublin included, a proper game in a once off. I also believe Mayo are still the best placed team to challenge the dubs. I see this year as a last roll of the dice, if not this year I think it could be a quiet decade.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

rosnarun

Quote from: larryin89 on June 28, 2019, 01:41:39 PM
The game is up i agree but still doesn’t stop Mayo football, the show goes on albeit our expectations are back to a more normalized position for a county that hasn’t won the big prize in nearly 70 years now . The lads coming through should be setting a target of reaching super 8 regular and I think that’s as far as it goes an odd semi final would be great . Point is new crop not near as good as old crop but again it’s no harm to them cause that was a savage side who were just a tad shy of winning it out.

when did mayo people become such a dour lot .
surely id were known for anything it our endless optimism and it has served us well for the last decade or so .
I all I hear now moan whinge and bitch from lads and lassies  with one foot off the bandwagon.
people seem to forget mayo won the last national title that was up for offer , there is an ongoing maybe forced rebuilding process going on but any one that been brought on so far has not been found lacking

Mayo by 5
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 28, 2019, 03:17:10 PM
I'm quite worried about tomorrow, I could see a potential banana skin popping up again in the qualifiers again. However, if they make it out alive I can still see Mayo giving any team, Dublin included, a proper game in a once off. I also believe Mayo are still the best placed team to challenge the dubs. I see this year as a last roll of the dice, if not this year I think it could be a quiet decade.

Very few people think that way anymore. I suppose there are fans like moy said that are stuck in 2016, 2017 terms still. You seem like one of them.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 28, 2019, 03:51:52 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 28, 2019, 03:17:10 PM

Very few people think that way anymore. I suppose there are fans like moy said that are stuck in 2016, 2017 terms still. You seem like one of them.

To be fair you were stuck in 2004/2006 in 2016/2017 😋
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

giveballaghback

Eamon Fitzmaurice has a nice article about Mayo and their style of play in Saturdays examiner, at last someone has the balls to say publicly what everyone knows.

MayoBuck

Any sign of an Armagh team? What's the story with injuries to Grimley and Murnin?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: giveballaghback on June 28, 2019, 11:55:16 PM
Eamon Fitzmaurice has a nice article about Mayo and their style of play in Saturdays examiner, at last someone has the balls to say publicly what everyone knows.

Physical and on the edge?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

tonto1888

Quote from: MayoBuck on June 29, 2019, 01:02:11 AM
Any sign of an Armagh team? What's the story with injuries to Grimley and Murnin?

Murnin was in the gym on Thursday night. Took the bike I was gonna use. Didn't see what else he was doing tho so have no idea if he is fit to start or not

Lar Naparka

Quote from: giveballaghback on June 28, 2019, 11:55:16 PM
Yerra, he could be right for all I know.  ;D
Telling him he's a gobshite won't change anything even if it is the truth.
It's not really relevant to what he has had to say about Mayo'd gamesmanship but people in glasshouse really shouldn't throw stones.
Under his watch, Kerry were masters of technical fouling. Cynical in the extreme and they probably still are.  If you noticed, Kerry seldom gave away frees withing scoring distance but would pull and draw away further outfield id the opposition mounted an attack that looked dangerous.
That doesn't alter the credibility or otherwise of what he has to say but his remarks about Lee Keegan is another matter.

Leeroy tried , in vain as it turned out, to distract a freetaker at a crucial stage of the most important game of his life.
That was gamesmanship without a doubt but it's hypocritical to latch onto that incident while ignoring the facts of life. Cynicism is a hallmark of modern football and it's dog eat dog out there on the field whenever a Gaelic match is played.
Alan Brogan saw nothing wrong with what Keegan did. He said he'd have done the same under the same circumstances. Philly McMahon said he'd fire his shirt at the freetaker if he thought he'd get away with it.
Crocodile tears have no place in modern day football.
And talking about hypocrisy, why has there been  no mention from Keegan's critics about the gamesmanship of Cormac Costello , just after "Keegan's transgression?"
Costello prevented David Clarke taking a kickout by running up to the tee and booting the ball into the crowd.
Leeroy did not succeed in doing what he was trying to do whereas Costello certainly did.
So why demonise one while ignoring the other?
Don't think any sensible person will pay a lot of attention of what Eamonn "Sour Grapes" Fitzmaurice has to say about anything; his credibility is shot and , btw, so is yours if you think like he does.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

whitey

Well said......it's called selective outrage

Wildweasel74

Mayo won the u20 all-ireland last year; how many them lads starting the day. Should be about 5 at least. Donegal renewed their team over a 3yr period without dropping out the top 5. No reason Mayo cant do the same.

Tubberman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 29, 2019, 12:50:49 PM
Mayo won the u20 all-ireland last year; how many them lads starting the day. Should be about 5 at least. Donegal renewed their team over a 3yr period without dropping out the top 5. No reason Mayo cant do the same.

Kildare won it.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."