Pictures worth a 1000 words.

Started by Zapatista, May 31, 2008, 10:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

a very harrowing picture indeed Zap
Quote from: 5iveTimes on May 31, 2008, 12:14:09 PM

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

took me a while to figure that one out
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Hardy

MK - I agree. You misunderstand me, I think. I was commenting on the futility of searching for a better picture to tell the 1,000 words. That one tells a billion.

Zapatista - what's the full story?

Zapatista

The photographer didn't intervine to save the child. He decided that if he did the photo would lose its impact on people like us. He decided that the life of this child in this photograph would eventually save the life of many others. He was right in that sense as it triggered a huge reaction from the outside world in relation to Sudan saving many lives. The photographer eventually took his own life.

Uladh

That is the most horrific photo i've ever seen. I think i'd rather not have seen it nor heard the story so i could get on with life in my bubble and not be aware that there are despairing things all too common in the world.

some of the human rights violation images from indonesia on the same website would make you physically sick

Minder

What is the significance of the people with Bobby Sands ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Hardy

I'd forgotten that aspect of it. What a moral dilemma. I think I'd have solved it by doing something immoral, but less so. I think I'd have saved the child, but lied (if only I knew the truth) and pretended he had died, to achieve the propaganda effect, thus fulfilling both apparently conflicting objectives at the expense of my own conscience.

I didn't know he eventually killed himself. It's easy to understand why.

Zapatista

Quote from: Minder on May 31, 2008, 02:23:35 PM
What is the significance of the people with Bobby Sands ?

It includes the late British agent Dennis Donaldson with his arm around Sand's shoulder

Zapatista

Quote from: Hardy on May 31, 2008, 02:23:58 PM
I'd forgotten that aspect of it. What a moral dilemma. I think I'd have solved it by doing something immoral, but less so. I think I'd have saved the child, but lied (if only I knew the truth) and pretended he had died, to achieve the propaganda effect, thus fulfilling both apparently conflicting objectives at the expense of my own conscience.

I didn't know he eventually killed himself. It's easy to understand why.

That might have happened Hardy but we can only take his word for it.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Zapatista on May 31, 2008, 02:19:06 PM
The photographer didn't intervine to save the child. He decided that if he did the photo would lose its impact on people like us. He decided that the life of this child in this photograph would eventually save the life of many others. He was right in that sense as it triggered a huge reaction from the outside world in relation to Sudan saving many lives. The photographer eventually took his own life.
jesus that photo and story would bring a tear to a stone and we think we have problems :( On a sidenote just wondering have any of ye gone out or know anyone who had gone out on the niall mellon foundation trip to cape town in South Africa ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Hardy

On reflection, I don't really see the point of allowing the child to die for the propaganda effect anyway. The picture is powerful enough in its own right to have stood without comment. People didn't need to know whether the child died for the picture to have a point.

On the other hand, I'm sure this was one of thousands of children who died in this famine and you can't make their rescue the responsibility of the photographers.

magickingdom

if that what happened zapa the photographer was as cold as ice. who was he to make that decision.

Zapatista

Quote from: Hardy on May 31, 2008, 02:29:39 PM
On reflection, I don't really see the point of allowing the child to die for the propaganda effect anyway. The picture is powerful enough in its own right to have stood without comment. People didn't need to know whether the child died for the picture to have a point.

On the other hand, I'm sure this was one of thousands of children who died in this famine and you can't make their rescue the responsibility of the photographers.

I'd say he seen it all before and hoa little effect it had since Live Aid.

Zapatista

Quote from: magickingdom on May 31, 2008, 02:32:30 PM

if that what happened zapa the photographer was as cold as ice. who was he to make that decision.

YOu could be right I'm not judging either way. I do know that he saved more lives than I have anyway.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: the Deel Rover on May 31, 2008, 02:26:29 PM
jesus that photo and story would bring a tear to a stone and we think we have problems :( On a sidenote just wondering have any of ye gone out or know anyone who had gone out on the niall mellon foundation trip to cape town in South Africa ?

I played in a Golf Classic yesterday in aid of someone who is going in November
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Zapatista