The Wire

Started by Lecale2, July 19, 2007, 03:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Have any of the lads in the states seen this TV show? It starts on Monday 23rd July on FX UK a cable channel. It looks very interesting. What did you think of it?

Mentalman

TG4 have been showing for yonks, but could never get into it.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

An Fhairche Abu

Only for the peerless "The Sopranos", "The Wire" would be greatest the TV drama ever made IMHO (I'd always have "The Sopranos" first because at it's best nothing has surpassed it in the TV medium). Indeed in terms of overall consistency of quality from season to season there's an argument to be made that it's better than "The Sopranos" in that there's never really a bad episode and after 4 seasons it's quality of writing, acting and directing remains first rate.

It's not one that you can dip in and out of, nor pick it up mid-season; you need to watch from episode 1 season 1 right through to fully appreciate the myriad characters and plot lines. It's tough to get into for those used to "quick-fix" TV but it's more than worth the perseverance.
I read a review once that likened each episode of "The Wire" as another chapter in a book and that kind of novelistic approach is a really good summation of what watching this stellar series is like. I highly recommend getting the first series on dvd to see if you like it (you will!)

Fishead_Sam

Ya its on TG4 for ages, for such a small channel Im amazed how it gets American programmes long before the other arms of RTE, other Irish Channels, British Cabel/Satelitte/Digital or British Terristeral, & it nearly seems to get British programes even before the Brits!!!, its great for the sport & the home made programmes are interesting & my Irish is seriously limited.

O ya the Wire is class, defo watch it, its got a "Saw" edge to it though.

Billys Boots

I agree with AFA, The Wire is brilliant.  Have slavishly followed the first three series and await the fourth on DVD.  Good characterisation, good plots, and really believable - some of the events are reportedly based on actual events in Baltimore's recent history.  Unmissable, especially if they're running it from the start.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Fishead_Sam

I think I am mixing it up with something else  :o