Living here vs USA, 2015

Started by 50fiftyball, July 26, 2015, 08:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50fiftyball

I'm interested to hear from the Irish in America, and indeed young people (and old who may have returned from U.S.) how they would compare the way of life.
I've visited the states many times on holiday, but always wondered what it's like to live there (legally), would the current Irish say if gauntlet was laid down, it's better? They're happier and earning more? Or is it a case of that they can't come home due to VISA issues etc. and to any Irish that have returned, did they enjoy it but now that they are back home and in employment, they feel that they're better off....

I have a degree to my name and considered it a few times but never took the plunge in case all went wrong  ::)

Rois

Good question, have an open job offer in Boston but haven't pursued it. Would be interested to know what the US guys think -  what (if anything) would make you think about coming back?

Milltown Row2

Its the what if question, you'll never know till you try, one of my regrets (I thought at the time), but circumstances at the time of trying it didn't allow it to happen .

America ain't that far away anymore, if you've nothing holding you here give it a lash... There is no stigma attached to it not working out and you came home...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whitey

Quote from: Rois on July 26, 2015, 10:44:46 PM
Good question, have an open job offer in Boston but haven't pursued it. Would be interested to know what the US guys think -  what (if anything) would make you think about coming back?

No downside to giving it a lash. Immediate network of friends/drinking pRtners if you get involved with a club. If you have specific questions PM me.....I'd be happy to help you out

Eamonnca1

Got a job offer in California and pounced on it without even hesitating. Never looked back. Never regretted it. Got a great lifestyle here that I could never have before.

At the time people asked me what would happen if I didn't like it. Says I "in that case I'll just go back." I never did and probably never will.

omaghjoe

Benefits would be the money and opportunity to make it, and a good career. You can also do whatever the hell you want (if you want to!) and no one will bat an eyelid or talk about you.

I would say that the biggest difference you would notice (well it was for me at least) is the lack of community although it may be the same in any big city worldwide.

However the milk and cheese is disgusting and the bread aint great either plus its expensive. Spuds are passable, Yukon gold are a decent wet spud but you wont get to many Kerr's Pinks! Russets are the best substitute but not a proper dry spud at all. No feckin Bramley apples either, the apple tarts here are an hilarious excuse of an apple tart about good for one thing which was demonstrated in the film American Pie!

FL/MAYO

It depends on the person, three of us immigrated two will have no intention of moving back to Ireland. The biggest issue will be the lack of family and community support that exists in most parts of Ireland.

The Iceman

I think it depends on the kind of person you are. Some people are not supposed to leave home. Some people are supposed to never stay at home.
America is a great country if you want to earn a decent crust. You get paid more money the harder you work (unheard of in Ireland or anywhere else I've lived) and you can make a great life for yourself and your family. Education is great, you can live a very active and healthy lifestyle and be exposed to lots of different cultures and people and experiences. Because of the healthcare costs I would never retire here and have plans to be back in Ireland for a while after 2025 if my job works out and my plans.

There is a lack of community as has been pointed out - but I think that depends on where you live and who your friends are. I was always of the opinion that if I'm going to move to another country then I will really live there. Eat the food, listen to the music, embrace the culture (nor forgetting my own of course). I think if you need to have Irish friends, Irish food, Irish music and can't be immersed in something different - then you should live in Ireland.

The weather is great in certain parts of the country. I'm down in Florida with work at the minute and the weather is muggy but warm and sunny all the time. The West coast, especially California, is a great spot for year round good weather  -when the sun is shining it's hard not to be happy - unless you are a miserable baldy Lurgan man (ha come on Eamonn!) Seattle is a great area, good weather for the past few years. Not a place we could stay long term. Thankfully we live in a very rural area about 10 mins from any town.

Life is what you make it - wherever you land. I just find life easier here money wise.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Arthur_Friend

Is the annual holiday allowance really 2 weeks until long term service?

Walter Cronc

Slightly off topic but lived in Canada for a couple of years. Great country, decent people and earned a few quid and had a great time.

What brought me back was family and friends though. I had a great lifestyle over there but I just couldn't deal with seeing my family once (max twice) a year.

It depends to what floats your boat but I'd recommend every young person to try it. Makes you realise what's important to you!

The Iceman

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on July 27, 2015, 03:04:01 PM
I think it depends on the job. I get 20 days holiday plus 6 sick days and public holidays. I've only been with this company for 8 months and my previous company 7 years. In the other place I had 15 days plus 6 sick days and public holidays.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

JimStynes

Do they not work ridiculously long hours in the US?

gallsman

Quote from: The Iceman on July 27, 2015, 03:25:17 PM
I think it depends on the job. I get 20 days holiday plus 6 sick days and public holidays. I've only been with this company for 8 months and my previous company 7 years. In the other place I had 15 days plus 6 sick days and public holidays.

Is that an NI Civil Service view of your sick days, i.e. they're there to be taken?!

omaghjoe

Quote from: gallsman on July 27, 2015, 03:57:46 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on July 27, 2015, 03:25:17 PM

Is that an NI Civil Service view of your sick days, i.e. they're there to be taken?!

That would be the same attitude most people have here, never had it myself. IN fact they would be even more frank about it as the time off is so scant.

I get 12days plus 3day sick + public holidays, which is quite good....last place I just got the standard 10days. Iceman has it good.

Legally they dont even have to give you any time off. Also the attitude of employers is that its sort of considered part of salary rather than a right.

screenexile

Quote from: The Iceman on July 27, 2015, 02:57:05 PM
I think it depends on the kind of person you are. Some people are not supposed to leave home. Some people are supposed to never stay at home.
America is a great country if you want to earn a decent crust. You get paid more money the harder you work (unheard of in Ireland or anywhere else I've lived) and you can make a great life for yourself and your family. Education is great, you can live a very active and healthy lifestyle and be exposed to lots of different cultures and people and experiences. Because of the healthcare costs I would never retire here and have plans to be back in Ireland for a while after 2025 if my job works out and my plans.

There is a lack of community as has been pointed out - but I think that depends on where you live and who your friends are. I was always of the opinion that if I'm going to move to another country then I will really live there. Eat the food, listen to the music, embrace the culture (nor forgetting my own of course). I think if you need to have Irish friends, Irish food, Irish music and can't be immersed in something different - then you should live in Ireland.

The weather is great in certain parts of the country. I'm down in Florida with work at the minute and the weather is muggy but warm and sunny all the time. The West coast, especially California, is a great spot for year round good weather  -when the sun is shining it's hard not to be happy - unless you are a miserable baldy Lurgan man (ha come on Eamonn!) Seattle is a great area, good weather for the past few years. Not a place we could stay long term. Thankfully we live in a very rural area about 10 mins from any town.

Life is what you make it - wherever you land. I just find life easier here money wise.

Jesus I wouldn't have said that anymore. How long have you been away? I would say that attitude you talk about in the US has pierced through in the last 10-15 years in Ireland. Try speaking to anyone working for a professional private company in Ireland and they are certainly expected to work hard.

I'm very lucky where I'm at here at home I work for a local company but we operate European wide and you're expected to work for everything you get and everything these days is incentivised so you have to perform to make any decent money!!