Irelands Greatest Figures

Started by Shortso79, March 22, 2010, 10:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Jesus Wept,   Brian O'Driscoll, Louis Walsh, Garrett Fitzgerald, Joe Dolan etc on the list.

Only thing now left iis for the Tyrone lads to start up a "hilarious" petition to add Peter Canavan  to the list.

Btw, the likes of Fr McVerry, Willie Bermingham and WT Cosgrave should be on the list along with many others.

mouview

Quote from: Canalman on March 23, 2010, 10:14:36 AM
Jesus Wept,   Brian O'Driscoll, Louis Walsh, Garrett Fitzgerald, Joe Dolan etc on the list.

Only thing now left iis for the Tyrone lads to start up a "hilarious" petition to add Peter Canavan  to the list.

Btw, the likes of Fr McVerry, Willie Bermingham and WT Cosgrave should be on the list along with many others.

Willie Bermingham - absolutely correct.

They've mainly gone for celebs, minor sports stars, public figures etc. instead of true selfless people who gave of themselves to make their world just a little bit better for others.

rossie mad

i thought this was a big joke first.

None of the great poets like o casey,cavanagh,shaw or behan.

None of the 1916 proclamation signatories WTF?

Robert boyle was probably one of the best scientists of his time on the planet.

Adi Roche ahead of Countess Markivicz WTF?
One of the first women politicians in the world and the first women to be made a minister as far as i know.

Even the likes of carson could be put ahead of some of the muppets on there
The boyzone brigade for christ sake.

Rte asked 1000 people.What qualifications had they?
By the sounds of it they were d4 hello reading late teen/early twenty females.

muppet

Quote from: screenexile on March 22, 2010, 11:48:46 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 22, 2010, 11:20:55 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 22, 2010, 11:14:28 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 22, 2010, 11:09:54 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 22, 2010, 11:07:55 PM
Great figures?

Gately, Haughey, Farrell and Michael O'Leary?????????????

I'm surprised Dustin the Turkey isn't on it.

Roy Keane?? A great Irishman?? Somebody is taking the complete piss here!!

I've just went to the site and it's true enough... gobsmacked isn't the word for it! The man walked out on his Country how can he now be proclaimed 'Great'?? It beggars belief really. The poll had potential but this has made an absolute farce of it and thats before you go into Steven Gately, Louis Walsh, Ronan Keating and Michael O'Leary!

You are of course right. You will also want Paul McGrath removed as he walked out on his country a number of times as did Sonia O'Sullivan if your mind is small enough. Come to this of it there will be those who say Michael Collins & James Joyce did so as well.

Keane, McCarthy & Quinn's version of events agree and all differ from yours. Give it up.

Sorry so you want to compare McGrath's going AWOL a number of times due to alcoholism ( a recognised disease), with Roy Keane taking a notion he couldn't be arsed anymore in Saipan. McGrath played in 2 World Cups for Ireland in varying degrees of pain, he deserves his place on that list!

I really don't know about Sonia walking out on Ireland you will have to refresh my memory on that one!

McGrath's problem wan't alcoholism, that was just a tiny part of it. Try reading his book, it is by far the best (and worst) of it's type around.
MWWSI 2017

Feckitt

Denn Forever

The term Figure implies the Iconic status of the person. 

So its a case of recognisability of the person not whether they did a lot or you like/agree with what they did.

Dr Noel Browne
James Connolly (was he not a signatory of the proclamation?)
Michael O'Leary

Can't remember anybody else who are memorable from the list who I have anything but Celebrity
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 23, 2010, 10:59:51 AM
The term Figure implies the Iconic status of the person. 

So its a case of recognisability of the person not whether they did a lot or you like/agree with what they did.

Dr Noel Browne
James Connolly (was he not a signatory of the proclamation?)
Michael O'Leary

Can't remember anybody else who are memorable from the list who I have anything but Celebrity

What does Michael O'Leary have over other richer more successful Irish businessmen except celebrity?
MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

Quote from: ludermor on March 23, 2010, 09:44:51 AM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 22, 2010, 11:40:45 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 22, 2010, 11:31:47 PM
No Ronnie O'Brien either.

:D :D Had a look at Ronnie on wikipedia there - seems he ended up carving out a decent career for himself in America.

What was the name of the economist from the north who was a top civil servant in the south and won Irish person of the century?
TK Whitaker? Still alive as far as i know.

He'd be getting my vote.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ONeill

Quote from: Canalman on March 23, 2010, 10:14:36 AM

Well, he already won the Blackpool one so why not?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Celt_Man

That list is embarassing, some of these people are meant to be the most iconic of all that Ireland has ever produced in our hundreds (maybe thousands) of years of history....   Some of those names are actually shameful....

Joe Dolan, Ronnie Drew, Colin Farrell, Stephen Gately, Charles Haughey, Ronan Keating, Christy Moore, Daniel O'Donnell, Michael O'Leary, Adi Roche, Louis Walsh

For jaysus sake, sure why isn't Big Tom in there, Richie Kavanagh, Brush Shields??  When you think of all the famous and noteworthy Irishmen?  John Holland inventor of the submarine, wasn't the founder of the Argentine Navy Irish?  None of the famous men "Saints and Scholars" Age are listed???

As someone said earlier - Robert Boyle?  Any child at school doing the most basic science will have come across Boyle's law...

I know that these type of lists and competitions always provoke great discussion about who makes it but those names above are plain stupid, almost insulting...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Franko

Stephen Gateley.  Did they go the local jobcentre on hairdressers day to do their canvassing?

Estimator

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 23, 2010, 12:21:06 PM
That list is embarassing, some of these people are meant to be the most iconic of all that Ireland has ever produced in our hundreds (maybe thousands) of years of history....   Some of those names are actually shameful....

Joe Dolan, Ronnie Drew, Colin Farrell, Stephen Gately, Charles Haughey, Ronan Keating, Christy Moore, Daniel O'Donnell, Michael O'Leary, Adi Roche, Louis Walsh

For jaysus sake, sure why isn't Big Tom in there, Richie Kavanagh, Brush Shields??  When you think of all the famous and noteworthy Irishmen?  John Holland inventor of the submarine, wasn't the founder of the Argentine Navy Irish?  None of the famous men "Saints and Scholars" Age are listed???

As someone said earlier - Robert Boyle?  Any child at school doing the most basic science will have come across Boyle's law...

I know that these type of lists and competitions always provoke great discussion about who makes it but those names above are plain stupid, almost insulting...

Admiral William Brown - Born in Mayo i think - National hero in Argentina
Ulster League Champions 2009

fearbrags

WHAT  ABOUT  the  great          Willie  Joe  Padden

Celt_Man

Quote from: Estimator on March 23, 2010, 01:23:36 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on March 23, 2010, 12:21:06 PM

Admiral William Brown - Born in Mayo i think - National hero in Argentina

Aye that's the boyo... surely he would be worthy of mention before Ronan Keating and Stephen Gately, O'Leary and Walsh- no harm to any of them
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Denn Forever

We has a lot of scientists whose names are in everyday use e.g. Beaufort Boole as in Boolean for the computer whiz kids, Kelvin and didn't know this but the guy who eplained why the sky is Blue was Irish John Tyndall.

For others look at

http://understandingscience.ucc.ie/pages/irishscientists.htm
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...