Help! Smoke alarm keeps going off.

Started by Tony Baloney, November 10, 2009, 08:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

There is no fire, no cooking or no dust but the fecking thing goes off every now and again out of the blue. A day last week it went off in the middle night which isn't great when you've 3 wanes asleep!

Any ideas? Where is the resident spark?

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 10, 2009, 08:35:37 PM
There is no fire, no cooking or no dust but the fecking thing goes off every now and again out of the blue. A day last week it went off in the middle night which isn't great when you've 3 wanes asleep!

Remove the battery?
MWWSI 2017

ziggysego

Same happened to me a few weeks ago. Turns out they have a limited lifespan and mine's had had it.
Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: muppet on November 10, 2009, 08:41:10 PM

Remove the battery?

Not a good suggestion..

Sounds like the battery is on its way out,replace it..
Don't just remove it and not replace it though
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tony Baloney

It's on a mains circuit with a battery backup. There are 5 in total on the circuit and they all relay when this one alarms so the whole house is deafened. The one in the front hall is the culprit.

Would there be crap in the sensor causing a false alarm or likely that is a faulty unit?

muppet

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 10, 2009, 08:43:59 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 10, 2009, 08:41:10 PM

Remove the battery?

Not a good suggestion..

Sounds like the battery is on its way out,replace it..
Don't just remove it and not replace it though

Geddawayoutdat. 

A rogue smoke alarm is like a rabid labrador, it might have been useful in the house before but now you just have to shoot it.
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Switched the circuit off at the board and it's still alarming so must be the unit. Will just pull the whole unit out and get a new one tomorrow.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 10, 2009, 09:06:53 PM
Switched the circuit off at the board and it's still alarming so must be the unit. Will just pull the whole unit out and get a new one tomorrow.

It will still alarm if the battery is in it even if you have the mains voltage knocked off to it.
Sounds like unit is fecked alright..
I'll change it for you...I'll give you the reduced rate  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 10, 2009, 09:11:17 PM

It will still alarm if the battery is in it even if you have the mains voltage knocked off to it.
I pulled the whole thing out and fired it onto the kitchen table. Of course I forgot about the battery and the fecker started again on its own! Permanently silenced now - mains is back on to the others so hopefully get a replacement tomorrow.

What's the reduced rate? €60 per unit?! Doll in work was getting charged £50 a socket for each additional socket over the advertised spec. Bandits yis are!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 10, 2009, 09:17:02 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 10, 2009, 09:11:17 PM

I pulled the whole thing out and fired it onto the kitchen table. Of course I forgot about the battery and the fecker started again on its own! Permanently silenced now - mains is back on to the others so hopefully get a replacement tomorrow.

What's the reduced rate? €60 per unit?! Doll in work was getting charged £50 a socket for each additional socket over the advertised spec. Bandits yis are!

I said a "reduced" rate...not half price!!  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Donagh

You need to change the battery and then reset the unit when you plug it back into the ceiling. Even alarms on the mains have a battery backup. When this starts to die, it sounds the alarm. There should be instructions on a sticker inside the unit or on the bit on the ceiling telling you what to do. Same thing happened me the other week.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Donagh on November 10, 2009, 11:13:24 PM
You need to change the battery and then reset the unit when you plug it back into the ceiling. Even alarms on the mains have a battery backup. When this starts to die, it sounds the alarm. There should be instructions on a sticker inside the unit or on the bit on the ceiling telling you what to do. Same thing happened me the other week.
Cheers will give a new battery a rattle tomorrow. The sticker says that it will chirp every minute if the battery is out which wasn't the case here but it's worth checking.

Donagh

under the bar

I have 5 mains wired alarms and had the same prob.  Goin off in middle of night scarin the bejaysus out of ye when you wake up!

Eventually isolated the offending one by disconnecting one at a time for a couple of weeks.   Just left that one disconnected.