Narrow Water Bridge - Yes or No

Started by amallon, January 26, 2007, 05:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of a Bridge being built across the border at Narrow Water?

Yes
83 (66.9%)
No
15 (12.1%)
Don't care
26 (21%)

Total Members Voted: 121

amallon

I'm all for it but think it could be 5 years before we see anything happen on this. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Carmen Stateside

Orior

Great idea, but would the traffic volume make it economical?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ziggysego

The reason the Irish Government want the build, is to open up tourist on that side of the island. That can only be a good thing.
Testing Accessibility

Dubh driocht

Danny Kennedy is usually reasonable as Unionists go ( he was excellent in 94 welcoming Sam number 5) but I cannot see his problem here. It would be a tremendous boost to everyone in North Louth/South Down and take a lot of pressure off Newry traffic. Bring it on Bertie!

Cloc Mor

QuoteDanny Kennedy is usually reasonable as Unionists go ( he was excellent in 94 welcoming Sam number 5) but I cannot see his problem here. It would be a tremendous boost to everyone in North Louth/South Down and take a lot of pressure off Newry traffic. Bring it on Bertie!

All in favour of it.  Nothing worse that being in the Point and wanting to go to Omeath and have to go all the way to Newry and out.  If it were to go ahead would it then be called the 'Bertie Bridge'?

stew

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Build the fecker, looked at wedding venues round that area last year and a bridge would have saved alot of diesel!!!  ;)
Tbc....

ardal

All for it, but ban trucks from using it. The infrastructure on the south side of the bridge couldn't (and shouldn't have to) cope with that type of increase in traffic; unless of course the roads have recently been upgraded, but it'd be a pity if they were.

amallon

I go from Mayobridge to Dundalk every week day but I'm not sure the Bridge would be much advantage to me.  Its a long run from Narrow water to the Ballymac Round about.  The road over the mountain is bad and wouldn't be an option.  It would be great for tourism and is bound to help the traffic in Newry.  People coming from the point to the Quays or Buttercran would have the option to approach from the Omeath road and not get caught in the traffic build up around the Gateway club which is brutal on a Saturday especially. 

5Times - I'm not sure why you think there would be much truck traffic between the point and Greenore? 

We will be lucky to see it in 5 years if its ever built.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

GweylTah

Danny Kennedy, while saying he felt the idea of this bridge was motivated in part by misty-eyed nationalist ideas, said his biggest concern was that the infrastructure on either side of the bridge would be incapable of handling a high volume of traffic, especially heavier commericial traffic, and that would cause problems on both sides.  In other words, this won't work if only a bridge is built.

If it aids tourism, concerns over traffic volume as mentioned above and it doesn't detract from the beauty of the area, good idea.

However, like most big ideas outside of Dublin announced by the Dublin Government, not one to hold the breath over. 

Billys Boots

QuoteHowever, like most big ideas outside of Dublin announced by the Dublin Government, not one to hold the breath over.

Get used to it Gweltah.   :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

As I said in an earlier thread, the curmudgeony of Unionist politicians, particularly so-called sensible, reasonable ones, in this whole debate is nauseating.

The Cooley-Mourne bridge proposal is one of the most needed transport links in the north - not only for economic and road safety reasons but as a forging of people in a close-knit area whose differences are miniscule. It's all a step in the right direction and, frankly, the laggards and no men are going to have to accept the truth that progress on ecomomic union is now unstoppable because it just makes plain sense.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on January 28, 2007, 12:18:27 PM
As I said in an earlier thread, the curmudgeony of Unionist politicians, particularly so-called sensible, reasonable ones, in this whole debate is nauseating.

The Cooley-Mourne bridge proposal is one of the most needed transport links in the north - not only for economic and road safety reasons but as a forging of people in a close-knit area whose differences are miniscule. It's all a step in the right direction and, frankly, the laggards and no men are going to have to accept the truth that progress on ecomomic union is now unstoppable because it just makes plain sense.

Here here old chap.  ;)
Tbc....

Dubh driocht

Here here here
My people are from Mourne, my Granny was from Cooley. They used the boat then, there are still great links between Cooley and Greencastle. Time to restore a link that recognises no border other than that between Down and Louth. See you next Sunday.