DUP: Champions of a shared future

Started by Jeepers Creepers, June 27, 2013, 05:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Jeepers Creepers

Oraisteach

OK, Sammy, strike up thon hymn:

What a friend we have in Girvan,
Forward thinker of the year,
Explaining Loyalist traditions
Why should Papists shrink in fear?

Maguire01

The lack of leadership from MLAs is ridiculous, continually playing to the rabble. In what civilised society would it be deemed acceptable to disrespect your nearest neighbour in this way?

red hander

I'd have no problem burning him on top of a bonfire  :P

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 27, 2013, 06:06:11 PM
The lack of leadership from MLAs is ridiculous, continually playing to the rabble. In what civilised society would it be deemed acceptable to disrespect your nearest neighbour in this way?

Fellow countrymen, even.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

dec

It seems only certain traditions need to be respected.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/peter-robinson-slams-burning-of-polish-flags-on-loyalist-bonfires-28773207.html

20 July 2012
First Minister Peter Robinson has condemned the burning of Polish flags on bonfires across Belfast on July 11.

He said Northern Ireland had a responsibility for good race relations.
"I think we need to have respect and understanding and tolerance for other traditions in our country," Mr Robinson added.
Around 30,000 Polish people currently live in Northern Ireland.

In an open letter, the Polish Association made a call for politicians to take action.
Maciek Bator, of the association, said the Polish community "embrace and respect all traditions here in Northern Ireland" but find behaviour such as flag burning "totally appalling and offensive".
"The Polish flag is a symbol of freedom, independence and peace for the 30,000 Polish people living in Northern Ireland and around 80 million across the globe," he added.
"By burning the Polish flag and other symbols, some members of the local communities were able to express their strong political views and promote anti-Polish sentiments."

The flags, along with Irish tricolours, were placed on bonfires in Belfast in the build-up to the Eleventh Night.
An election poster for Polish SDLP candidate Magdalena Wolska was also burned on one of the bonfires.
Peter Robinson said the Polish community had been working to "integrate themselves into our society".
"I just don't know what this is about and why it should take place," he added.
"The one question I always put to myself in these circumstances is — how would I feel if that was my flag on top of that bonfire?"
Alliance MLA Anna Lo described those who burnt Polish flags on bonfires as "bigots" and said she was "utterly appalled" by these actions."The Polish community is now the largest ethnic minority community in Northern Ireland and they have been coming for a number of years, settled and have integrated into society," she added.
"On a so-called community festival night, they then saw their flags being burnt — it's so hurtful and insulting.
"When you are an immigrant so far from home, you hold symbols like that so close to your heart — it must make them so angry, and make them feel so unwelcome. It's so disrespectful."

orangeman

Quote from: Oraisteach on June 27, 2013, 06:05:11 PM
OK, Sammy, strike up thon hymn:

What a friend we have in Girvan,
Forward thinker of the year,
Explaining Loyalist traditions
Why should Papists shrink in fear?

Post of the week at the very least.

armaghniac

"Young people need to see that there's a difference of opinion and they have to respect differences. I think that's something that comes about through maturity."

Is this newspeak, when everything means the opposite?

And of course they are making friends in Liverpool
http://www.liverpoolconfidential.co.uk/News-and-Comment/Irish-tricolour-burning-in-Liverpool-branded-deplorable
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 27, 2013, 06:13:37 PM

Fellow countrymen, even.
Indeed, from our point of view - my comment was more about how it should be unacceptable, even from the DUP's perspective.

dec

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 27, 2013, 06:44:14 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on June 27, 2013, 06:13:37 PM

Fellow countrymen, even.
Indeed, from our point of view - my comment was more about how it should be unacceptable, even from the DUP's perspective.

As the Peter Robinson story from last year shows, they actually realise that it is unacceptable.

Unless you are talking about the Fenians.

Hardy

Quote from: armaghniac on June 27, 2013, 06:31:55 PM
And of course they are making friends in Liverpool
http://www.liverpoolconfidential.co.uk/News-and-Comment/Irish-tricolour-burning-in-Liverpool-branded-deplorable

It's a strange sort of united kingdom where an activity that in one part of it is a hate crime is celebrated as a component of a cultural festival in another part.,

Maguire01

I see he's made a feeble retraction: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-23089437
Peter must have given him a slap on the wrists.

imtommygunn

If we lived in a proper society not dictated by bigots then this clown would be made to stand down. Not here however.

It is almost like he is saying don't complain about us burning the tricolours or more will be burnt.

Farce of a party and farce that people like this get voted in.