Connacht Gaa Centre

Started by rodney trotter, December 07, 2012, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

New Centre of excellence being open tomorrow in Mayo. Does Leinster and Munster have something similar? Meath have a great training base, think that is just their County training grounds and nothng else.

Tyrone are developing one at the minute ,not sure if that is being used for both Tyone and the rest of Ulster. Great idea for under - age development Squads etc.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=182194

Rossfan

Prenty will have a fine office to run Connacht from  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

screenexile

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 07, 2012, 04:57:45 PM
New Centre of excellence being open tomorrow in Mayo. Does Leinster and Munster have something similar? Meath have a great training base, think that is just their County training grounds and nothng else.

Tyrone are developing one at the minute ,not sure if that is being used for both Tyone and the rest of Ulster. Great idea for under - age development Squads etc.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=182194

Derry have had one for 20 odd years. Think even Fermanagh have one at this stage.

mouview

Vanity project for Prenty by and large. Who's going to use it, bar the odd schools for matches?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mouview on December 07, 2012, 08:55:48 PM
Vanity project for Prenty by and large. Who's going to use it, bar the odd schools for matches?

Clubs from all over Mayo probably. Knockmore U-21s were due to play Castlebar U-21s in a relatively neutral venue. Next thing they dragged the two teams up to the Centre of Excellence. I can see this happening a lot from now on.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

These opening ceremony things are just a junket for the back-slappers, Bekan has been open for a year. This is even the second opening for the same complex, were the lads not able to pry the door open the first time around?

rodney trotter

Quote from: Syferus on December 07, 2012, 09:48:10 PM
These opening ceremony things are just a junket for the back-slappers, Balekan has been open for a year.

C'est la vie.

cogito

Quote from: mouview on December 07, 2012, 08:55:48 PM

I think that is a ridiculous statement. How can having a centre like this not be good for promotion of Gaelic Games.

You can invite underage teams in and play blitz competitions from clubs or schools or whatever on a one day event for starters. A few quality pitches around a quality clubhouse. What parents going along wouldnt be impressed with that and getting to see their good run around in such good facilities.

I would imaging development squads from the counties in Connacht will also be keen to use it.

If County teams are stuck for somewhere to train or play a game I would imaging they can use the facilities as well.

Seriously don't understand why anyone from Connacht wouldn't be delighted with the creation of such a fine facility.

GalwayBayBoy

Can't imagine it will be used much from a Galway perspective. The footballers already have their own very similiar centre of excellence (no jokes please) in Loughgeorge. The hurlers wouldn't go near the place to be honest. It's way out of their jurisdiction.

Will north Galway clubs use it who knows? I doubt it considering it's still out of their way no matter what. Might be used more at underage level maybe. For the odd match. Not sure that warrants the expense.

Hard to disagree with the thesis that this is a Prenty led Disneyland. I mean why not split the funds between the counties and let them do their own thing?

neilthemac

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 08, 2012, 03:24:30 AM
Can't imagine it will be used much from a Galway perspective. The footballers already have their own very similiar centre of excellence (no jokes please) in Loughgeorge. The hurlers wouldn't go near the place to be honest. It's way out of their jurisdiction.

Will north Galway clubs use it who knows? I doubt it considering it's still out of their way no matter what. Might be used more at underage level maybe. For the odd match. Not sure that warrants the expense.

Hard to disagree with the thesis that this is a Prenty led Disneyland. I mean why not split the funds between the counties and let them do their own thing?
exactly
the centre will be used for underage county blitzes, college games, third level games

if there was a smaller centre in each county, they could cater for all of these.

rodney trotter

Quote from: neilthemac on December 08, 2012, 10:16:17 AM

exactly
the centre will be used for underage county blitzes, college games, third level games

if there was a smaller centre in each county, they could cater for all of these.

Maybe not every County can afford to spend "big" or any sort of figure with the way the economy is. Hence having one in each Province so it can cater for all Counties. Obviously it would be more beneficial if each County had one.

neilthemac

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 08, 2012, 10:23:51 AM

exactly

Maybe not every County can afford to spend "big" or any sort of figure with the way the economy is. Hence having one in each Province so it can cater for all Counties. Obviously it would be more beneficial if each County had one.

Sligo are half way through developing theirs
Roscommon have already bought the land for one, but nothing else done.
Galway have one for football, the hurling one was abandoned due to the financial constraints (they have the land though)
Leitrim have built theirs in Annaduff

So, the only county that had no plans or land bought were...... Mayo
And where was the Connacht Centre built??? MAYO!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: neilthemac on December 08, 2012, 10:36:43 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on December 08, 2012, 10:23:51 AM

exactly

Sligo are half way through developing theirs
Roscommon have already bought the land for one, but nothing else done.
Galway have one for football, the hurling one was abandoned due to the financial constraints (they have the land though)
Leitrim have built theirs in Annaduff

So, the only county that had no plans or land bought were...... Mayo
And where was the Connacht Centre built??? MAYO!

Before you go off on your conspiracy story, if Mayo wanted one for Mayo surely somewhere like Castlebar, Breaffy, Islandeady, Ballintubber, Mayo Abbey, Balla, Ballyheane etc. would be a more central location for the whole county.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Rossfan

This thing won''t be of much use to an awful lot of Galway, Sligo, Laythrum, Roscommon or indeed many parts of Mayo.
If each County had been given 20% of what was spent on this to develop their own then they'd all be happy.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Rossfan on December 08, 2012, 01:37:51 PM
This thing won''t be of much use to an awful lot of Galway, Sligo, Laythrum, Roscommon or indeed many parts of Mayo.
If each County had been given 20% of what was spent on this to develop their own then they'd all be happy.

True, much of Mayo are hours away from East Mayo.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.