NFL Division 1 - 2020

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2020, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CK_Redhand

Conroy looks a great player for Mayo. For his goal he took 8 steps... Twice. I suppose it's an overlooked rule but really hard to defend against with such a quick player. Should the official rules be changed to reflect what referees are actually enforcing?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 04:57:29 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 25, 2020, 04:25:42 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 03:51:45 PM
We will be well under strength for Donegal next week.

Hampsey, Brennan, McShane, M O'Neill, R Donnelly, M Bradley and Cassidy probably all out at this stage.

Get the excuses in early!!

My excuses have been in since we lost McShane.

I've been looking to 2021 in any case.

When we get our full contingent there we will have a team to rival anyone but I don't see us being contenders this season with those names missing.

Would you get rid of the manager if Donegal do a number on Tyrone?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Blowitupref

Quote from: dublin7 on October 25, 2020, 05:08:08 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on October 25, 2020, 04:43:02 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on October 25, 2020, 03:57:57 PM
Dublin strolled past Galway in Salthill who offered very little. Game was played a challenge match pace. Paddy Small looked good up front for Dublin. Galway pulled players back into a blanket defect but Dublin still cut them open several times for goal chances

Galway with a gale force breeze in their backs in the 1st half played very defensively and 2 points was never going to be a big enough lead at half time. Crazy tactics
Galway 4 points ahead on 50 mins and Galway 0-15 Dublin 1-14 after 72 mins is hardly classed as a stroll. After last week with the way Galway performed many expected Dublin to have todays game won by half time and certainly not needing a 2nd goal in the 74th minute to seal the win.

Dublin sat back in the first half and were happy to go in only 2 points down knowing they had a gale in their backs in the 2nd half. Once the goal went on to put them 1 point in front Galway were never level again. Dubs were able to keep a 3/4 point gap without ever getting anywhere near top gear. Galway never got a sniff of a goal chance in the game.

The 2nd goal came after a brilliant flick from Fenton off a Cluxton kick out and King Con playing a one-two with the goalpost to score.

Still not classed as a stroll.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 25, 2020, 05:19:14 PM

Hampsey, Brennan, McShane, M O'Neill, R Donnelly, M Bradley and Cassidy probably all out at this stage.

When we get our full contingent there we will have a team to rival anyone but I don't see us being contenders this season with those names missing.

Would you get rid of the manager if Donegal do a number on Tyrone?

I'd be tempted to, I think we are coming to the stage where a fresh voice is needed.

But I don't really see any standout candidates within the county at present.  Malachy O'Rourke would probably have been the obvious choice but he has taken the Glen job.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Blowitupref on October 25, 2020, 04:43:02 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on October 25, 2020, 03:57:57 PM
Dublin strolled past Galway in Salthill who offered very little. Game was played a challenge match pace. Paddy Small looked good up front for Dublin. Galway pulled players back into a blanket defect but Dublin still cut them open several times for goal chances

Galway with a gale force breeze in their backs in the 1st half played very defensively and 2 points was never going to be a big enough lead at half time. Crazy tactics
Galway 4 points ahead on 50 mins and Galway 0-15 Dublin 1-14 after 72 mins is hardly classed as a stroll. After last week with the way Galway performed many expected Dublin to have todays game won by half time and certainly not needing a 2nd goal in the 74th minute to seal the win.

We were actually on top the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half into the wind and got 4 points up but then got sloppy with a couple of bad turnovers inside our own half which Dublin scored a quick 1-2 from against the run of play. First turnover I think O'Donnell actually ran into the back of his own team mate and lost possession. For the Dublin goal Paul Kelly won the breaking ball in midfield but fumbled it under no pressure and Dublin were clean through on goal. We never really looked like getting back level. Think we got within 2 but that was it.

On the plus side the full-back line looked better with Mulkerrin and Sean Kelly probably winning their individual duels overall. Con was well marshalled until injury time. James Foley had a very tough time on debut though against Paddy Small who was on fire for the Dubs.

Conroy was excellent to be fair. One of the few real leaders we have. I think we need to get more pace and athleticism into the side although easier said than done. I think it's very hard to win without having enough pace, dynamism and athleticism in your side these days. Especially at the very top. That's why someone like Comer is invaluable (when he's fit) as he has that raw power and dynamism that can bother top sides like the Dubs.

Looks like Flynn is carrying an injury as well the way he had to go off today. That's a number of players now with worrying knocks and not much time to shake them off before championship.

John Daly a huge loss to this side. Was probably Galway's best player after Shane Walsh pre Covid. Really controlled games from number 6.

nrico2006

What's the latest with Hampsey, Bradley and Cassidy?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Angelo

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 25, 2020, 06:00:11 PM

Not sure. I'd imagine Hampsey has no chance, doesn't take a genius to work out he's the Covid case and he was named in the team so presumably there's little chance of him being involved against Galway if there's a 2 week isolation criteria.

Cassidy, R Donnelly and Bradley have not been involved in the 2 league games after the resumption so hard to see any of them being involved next week.

From the Bunker

Quote from: CK_Redhand on October 25, 2020, 05:13:13 PM
Conroy looks a great player for Mayo. For his goal he took 8 steps... Twice. I suppose it's an overlooked rule but really hard to defend against with such a quick player. Should the official rules be changed to reflect what referees are actually enforcing?

When is the last time a goal was disallowed for steps? I can't remember. Referees seem to get caught up in the moment. If a player hesitates, he will be spotted.

CK_Redhand

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 25, 2020, 06:08:50 PM

When is the last time a goal was disallowed for steps? I can't remember. Referees seem to get caught up in the moment. If a player hesitates, he will be spotted.
Yeah I can't remember. If a player changes direction he's allowed another four steps. A shimmy or dummy... another four steps. Defender attempts a tackle... another four steps. I don't mind if that's the interpretation, but the rules should be updated to reflect it.

Donnelly got a point in second half after a lot of steps. Attempted tackle and big strides with basketball style bounce

galwayman

Outside of being quite loose defensively the other striking thing is how hard we still find it to win our own kick outs at ease.
Anything we win tends to be won in a 50-50 contest.
Watching all the other top teams - they seem to be able to win the majority of their own kick outs.
We simply have to sort that out.
Barrett and Darcy is the middle are being exposed badly

nrico2006

Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 06:03:53 PM

Not sure. I'd imagine Hampsey has no chance, doesn't take a genius to work out he's the Covid case and he was named in the team so presumably there's little chance of him being involved against Galway if there's a 2 week isolation criteria.

Cassidy, R Donnelly and Bradley have not been involved in the 2 league games after the resumption so hard to see any of them being involved next week.

Are Cassidy and Bradley injured?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

redzone

How many times did aidan oshea get away with standing inside the semi circle waving his hands on our kickouts today. Dreadful from the ref

Dubhaltach

From a Mayo point of view, that game was lost on the line.Tactics and team selection. James Horan's 'push everyone forward' tactics do not work against a strong wind, I had hoped that the lesson was learned after the Galway league game in McHale park last year but obviously not. We needed to sit back in that first half and not concede any goals, like the Dubs did against the wind today but we only seem to know one way.

It was obvious before the game today that Aidan in Full Forward was not going to work. Wet day, blanket defence, he was predictably surrounded any time he got his hands on the ball. Yet he somehow was still in there after 70 minutes.

While Conor Loftus and Kevin McLoughlin are very skillful players, neither have the physicality to be be holding central positions like midfield and centre back on a day like today. Ryan O Donoghue was the standout forward from the early stages of the league and most promising underage forward in Mayo over the last few years, he proved today that he should have been in from the start. James Durcan has had plenty of chances at this stage and outside of a good cameo performance against Donegal, hasn't taken them.

On the plus side, Cillian's injury doesn't seem to be too bad and forward line containing him, Tommy Conroy and ROD should be dangerous. If we bounce straight back out of division 2 next year, relegation mighn't be too much of a big deal. It's a big if though.

Rossfan

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 25, 2020, 06:08:50 PM

Once you keep the head down and move at speed you'll never be pulled for it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 25, 2020, 06:25:15 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 25, 2020, 06:03:53 PM

Are Cassidy and Bradley injured?

Presumably but I don't know.