NFL Div 2 2020

Started by Laoiseabu, October 18, 2019, 12:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

les Antiques

Quote from: The PRO on November 15, 2019, 12:00:57 PM
I see where Gary Brennan and Jamie Malone aren't playing with Clare next year. Should improve our chances of two points a bit in that game anyway. Brennan in particular is a brilliant footballer.

Also Kieran Martin will be not be part of the Westmeath set up this year .

Saying that it looks increasinnly likely Donie Kingston won't be part of the Laois set up in 2020.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Neutralobserver

Quote from: les Antiques on November 17, 2019, 10:39:03 AM
Quote from: The PRO on November 15, 2019, 12:00:57 PM
I see where Gary Brennan and Jamie Malone aren't playing with Clare next year. Should improve our chances of two points a bit in that game anyway. Brennan in particular is a brilliant footballer.

Also Kieran Martin will be not be part of the Westmeath set up this year .

Saying that it looks increasinnly likely Donie Kingston won't be part of the Laois set up in 2020.

whats up with donie? is it just he not committing or has he an injury. big loss if he does not commit

Blow-in

He has a condition called laziness

Laois Rising

Extremely unfair comment to make regarding Donie Kingston. If Kingston wants to take a break from intercounty football then he deserves to do so without comments such as Batman's being thrown at him. He has played almost every year for the county since 2008. That's 11 out of 12 years of service to Laois football.

I think this article sums up why footballer with the talent of Donie Kingston might feel some disillusionment plodding along year after year with little or no chance of success. Hard to continually motivate yourself and give the time and dedication required to play at intercounty level with no meaningful end rewards.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/talented-peers-polarised-by-place-of-birth-37042692.html

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Laois Rising on December 04, 2019, 01:08:43 PM
Extremely unfair comment to make regarding Donie Kingston. If Kingston wants to take a break from intercounty football then he deserves to do so without comments such as Batman's being thrown at him. He has played almost every year for the county since 2008. That's 11 out of 12 years of service to Laois football.

I think this article sums up why footballer with the talent of Donie Kingston might feel some disillusionment plodding along year after year with little or no chance of success. Hard to continually motivate yourself and give the time and dedication required to play at intercounty level with no meaningful end rewards.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/talented-peers-polarised-by-place-of-birth-37042692.html

Agreed Donie and Paul two great servants of Laois,  we were blessed to have them.  There is going to be more deflections soon.

Mad Mentor

Quote from: Laois Rising on December 04, 2019, 01:08:43 PM

Great article.

Silkyskillssunshinee

The two Kingston brothers confirmed gone from Laois panel for upcoming season. I expected Donie to go but I was surprised that Paul isn't there either. For me, Donie gone from the panel means that Laois are in huge relegation trouble for the league. Not sure we have the scores up front to stay up. Evan O'Carroll will need to step up in a big way this season.

I see on the positive side that Niall Corbet and Garry Comerford are on the panel. Corbet could easily find himself starting as well because Laois desperately need a free taker. Comerford was a player who I was very impressed with when Stradbally won championship in 2016. I imagine he'll have no problems getting up to speed fitness wise due to his last few years playing soccer at a high level.

ollie12

Is Gary Walsh back on the panel?

Neutralobserver

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on December 05, 2019, 09:05:33 AM
The two Kingston brothers confirmed gone from Laois panel for upcoming season. I expected Donie to go but I was surprised that Paul isn't there either. For me, Donie gone from the panel means that Laois are in huge relegation trouble for the league. Not sure we have the scores up front to stay up. Evan O'Carroll will need to step up in a big way this season.

I see on the positive side that Niall Corbet and Garry Comerford are on the panel. Corbet could easily find himself starting as well because Laois desperately need a free taker. Comerford was a player who I was very impressed with when Stradbally won championship in 2016. I imagine he'll have no problems getting up to speed fitness wise due to his last few years playing soccer at a high level.

Serious loss them two to a small county and will Evan stay injury free

Chrimtain

Donie's commitment has been in doubt for the last few years. I think it's time to move on with lads who really want to wear the Jersey.

High Fielder

It's a big commitment and I don't and won't disrespect any lad who wants a break from it. I'd love to see Donie involved because he's out on his own in my opinion. But he's made his choice and he has to do what's right for him. It's nice to see different names coming in. There are opportunities there for those who are capable of stepping up

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Chrimtain on December 05, 2019, 10:17:35 PM
Donie's commitment has been in doubt for the last few years. I think it's time to move on with lads who really want to wear the Jersey.

I think this is a pretty serious insult to a man that has carried Laois for years. He is playing senior for Laois since he was 17 years of age up and down the divisions. His appetite to continue might be in doubt which is natural but to suggest that he hasn't been committed or didn't 'really want to wear the Jersey' is a pretty low and unfair blow.

Giovanni

I would agree that it's not right that, having spent a lot of time and effort representing Laois at different levels, that his commitment is called into question now.

On the other hand, I think that to suggest that he has "carried Laois" is also a serious over-representation of his contribution and is very unfair on the other good players that he has played with in the colours of Laois.

Speaking of good players that he played with, does anyone know if Brendan Quigley is finished with the county? If so, I think he deserves great thanks and credit from Laois supporters for his contribution over the years.

The Boy Wonder

I agree wholeheartedly that we should be very grateful to players that give magnificent service to the county.
Brendan Quigley, Donie Kingston, John O'Loughlin and Mark Timmons suffered heartbreak in the All-Ireland U-21 final of 2007. Ever since they have brought nothing but honour on themselves and their county when they wore the Laois jersey. And not forgetting Ross Munnelly - he surely is the pride of the County Laois.