Club Hurling

Started by BallyroanAbbey, April 16, 2017, 11:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laois Rising

I agree- the standard of the last few county championships has been deplorable. I felt that when Cheddar was manager that our championship witnessed an improvement as well at the time. The energy and interest created at county level seemed to filter into the club scene. Sadly, it appears things have regressed.

HURLING1

Abbeyleix will probably be the most disappointed this year.
2 years ago I really enjoyed the fast and exhilarating hurling they brought to the championship.
B/K will also be very disappointed.
Huge amounts of underage championships but a lot have not progressed but most are young yet.
Ballinakills work rate was a joy to watch. Very little more would have got them to a final.
Portlaoise have some lovely young hurlers so hoping they remain at the top table next year.

Helix

Quote from: HURLING1 on October 09, 2018, 07:12:43 PM
Abbeyleix will probably be the most disappointed this year.
2 years ago I really enjoyed the fast and exhilarating hurling they brought to the championship.
B/K will also be very disappointed.
Huge amounts of underage championships but a lot have not progressed but most are young yet.
Ballinakills work rate was a joy to watch. Very little more would have got them to a final.
Portlaoise have some lovely young hurlers so hoping they remain at the top table next year.

It was good to see the likes of Tommy Fitz getting to lift a trophy as captain for Portlaoise. A real leader in the town who hopefully will be brilliant addition in Laois senior hurling set up aswell in 2019 as is Cahir Healy. Good to see him recovered from the knee injury from last years relegation final. They peaked at the right time in the championship. Will be a huge task for them to maintain senior status next year but definitely possible. You feel for the likes of Conor Dunne and John Brophy soldiering with Harps and county for years. They have good young lads coming through and just getting them up to physicality if senior hurling which I felt was where the Harps lost out on those 50/50 balls. You'd imagine they'll come again and will be exposed to senior league hurling at least for now.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

BallyroanAbbey

seen footage of the incident from sunday and its assault pure and simple but in the last few years we have seen james young (a guard btw) attack a castletown player with a hurl on the ground after scoring a goal, and castletown themselves go out and break a lads arm and smash his head in when he took his helmet off in a junior match because he was cleaning up, and thats just 2 examples of many. A different breed of animal entirely, maybe its the lack of air up there that effects them, but its not normal

LOVEGAA

Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on October 09, 2018, 09:07:49 PM
seen footage of the incident from sunday and its assault pure and simple but in the last few years we have seen james young (a guard btw) attack a castletown player with a hurl on the ground after scoring a goal, and castletown themselves go out and break a lads arm and smash his head in when he took his helmet off in a junior match because he was cleaning up, and thats just 2 examples of many. A different breed of animal entirely, maybe its the lack of air up there that effects them, but its not normal
[/quote

there should have been more than 1 red card from that incident Sunday but as long as our county board stay cowardly this will stay happening.

I would be ashamed of my club if they conducted themselves like that but as you say ..A different breed]

Spillane

First off I'm not from Camross or a hurling club at all. Secondly I wasn't at the county final, but this incident has grown legs. I (like most) have seen the video of the incident by now and thankfully it didn't match the reports I got from people at the game.
The player in question does warrant a red card for 2 very wild pulls around knee height but the incident that results in King's unfortunate and serious injury I believe not to be premeditated or to be on purpose.
From viewing the video again, Ross comes in to hit the Camross player a shoulder, (rightfully so in defence of his teammate who is on the receiving end of two shocking belts) but as he moves in the Camross player rises his hurl to protect himself from the shoulder but connects with the face of King.
Now I'm not saying that the player shouldn't have been sent off, he should have been. But I think the stories going around are a bit extreme. People have called Camross thugs and this was done on purpose, I genuinely don't believe that to be the case. They are a well known dogged and physical team who play to the edge but some of the comments made I find to be unfair. A bit like Arles Kilcruise or Crettyard, they're style of play is always hard and brings you into a battle, which usually these clubs come on top of.

I do agree that the referee has a lot to answer for. To only award a yellow card is insane. He acknowledges the "foul play" but doesn't punish it with what it deserves. Personally I would have sent him off for the first two swipes he made on the players legs,(No intention of playing the ball in either pull), and definitely would have for the action that resulted in King's injury. May have been an accident but still warrants a red.
Have to agree with posters, I was at the semi final where camross mentor ripped the helmet from a player and was shocked to see no action taken. That was my first time to see this referee. I was even more surprised to hear he was awarded the final. By all accounts he lost control of both matches.

Also the video I have seen was in super slow motion and not in real time. I can imagine it would look worse live from the stand. Just want to get my defence in before I might get bombarded with abuse.

LOVEGAA

Won't abuse you but you can see kings helmet being held and hurl up into face. Would agree the wild swings before that were where the ref should have sstepped in in the first place.
be under no illusion they were going to do someone once they went 3 point down. Shane dollard had also received butt of hurl and nothing either

if they got away with this in semi final of course they were going the same route in final

HURLING1

I'm not from Camross either but 1 of their best  players was on the receiving of a late pull in the semi final which resulted in a broken leg/foot.
A bit of fairness in the dialogue would be no harm .
Ref should have dealt with it at the time .
Wishing Ross a speedy recovery. Always a pleasure to watch him play.

LOVEGAA

burdizzo

That had the foot broke? Who the hell do you think? If you ask me, he was the instigator of the row in the semi-final.

finbar o tool

SPILLANE, have no doubt about it, that butt of the hurl to the face of Ross King WAS on purpose!! Absolute rubbish talk! The whistle should have been blown after the first pull on purcell from Delaney!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

LOVEGAA

Quote from: burdizzo on October 09, 2018, 11:04:05 PM
That had the foot broke? Who the hell do you think? If you ask me, he was the instigator of the row in the semi-final.

Was just checking I didn't miss a second break!!
Mind you this is from the same poster who said what happened Sunday was handbag stuff,

merman

Quote from: finbar o tool on October 09, 2018, 11:37:01 PM
SPILLANE, have no doubt about it, that butt of the hurl to the face of Ross King WAS on purpose!! Absolute rubbish talk! The whistle should have been blown after the first pull on purcell from Delaney!

I'm afraid I agree Spillane.
The slow-mo video doing the rounds perhaps makes it look more reactionary but that's not my feeling having seen it. The reaction of the RE players was telling. They knew straight sway.

SpeculativeEffort

For those saying that it was accidental...Camross are masters of the filthy stroke that almost looks accidental. Even that people are suggesting it might have been accidental is a victory for them. Dont believe it.

redsetanta

Where did you see the video of the incident? Certainly not Laois GAA highlights of the game cause there isn't a mention of it. Any links?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi