Who will the Waterford players blame for this.

Started by Stay goalside of your man, September 07, 2008, 04:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

The game was over at half time, i would be one annoyed sub if left sitting when a run was in order and no danger of comeback.Its supposed to be a sport and a bit of fun despite all this win at all costs mentality.
Waterford could dissappear again for an eternity.

orangeman

Kerry DO have a hurling team - Kilkenny has a football team -

Money has NOTHING at all to do with the consistent, top class hurlers that Kilkenny and Cork produce.

I suppose Cork don't have a footballing team either ?  ;)

orangeman

Quote from: mannix on September 08, 2008, 10:01:19 AM
The game was over at half time, i would be one annoyed sub if left sitting when a run was in order and no danger of comeback.Its supposed to be a sport and a bit of fun despite all this win at all costs mentality.
Waterford could dissappear again for an eternity.

Kilkenny have lads that are just delighted to be on the bench. They had a pile of minors that weren't allowed to tog out yesterday.

Rub-a-dub-Dub

I take my hat off to Cork, I think every county should look at their sports programs in the schools and colleges.

You have some of the best Hurling, football, soccer and rugby teams come out of there, so they are an anomoly and we should all look to how thay have managed to achieve this.

orangeman

Definitely - Cork are a great example to all counties - they can producestars in soccer, rugby, basketball, gaelic football and hurling ................ etc

AZOffaly

Back on topic for a minute, nice to see Tony Considine hasn't forgiven Davy Fitz for his spat in Clare anyway. He has a right cut off the Waterford lads, and especially the management team in the Examiner today. Classy move.  ::)

didlyi

Yes Cork are a great example but they are also 4 times more populated than most other counties. That allows them to partake in all sports. I would say offaly are the finmest example to us all. What they did in the early 80's was amazing.
Tony Consodine never lets it rest with Davy and in fairness to Davy he keeps his mouth shut.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 08, 2008, 10:28:38 AM
Back on topic for a minute, nice to see Tony Considine hasn't forgiven Davy Fitz for his spat in Clare anyway. He has a right cut off the Waterford lads, and especially the management team in the Examiner today. Classy move.  ::)
[/b]
Can you post it please AZ ? We don't get the Examiner up ere !  ;)

heffo

Quote from: Canalman on September 08, 2008, 09:49:50 AM
I was even told that it was the "City " players who planned the Palace Coup.

There were a few West Waterford lads involved too..

orangeman

theskull1

Quote from: Rub-a-dub-Dub on September 08, 2008, 09:59:55 AM
And your point to the funding of Kerry, my point is proven here too, when did you last see the Kerry huring team, they have little or no funding because in Kerry it all goes into football, kids do not want to play anything else.

Rub
Saying that it boils down to money is too simplistic. It's the interested adults in any area of the country that fires the imaginations of youngsters LONG before finance starts to play a part in the potential of those future senior players to have success at senior intercounty level. In KK there are a huge number of "hurling men", meaning that almost every kid has someone in their family who drives their youngsters out to play the game. I'm sure there are plenty across the hurling heartlands. In the weaker counties "hurling men" are few and far between and as a result have limited success at being able to convince enough kids to play the game. Most counties have a very small group of individuals keeping the game alive. In KK the exact opposite would be the case.

Take it or leave it parents (in both codes) are the scurge of all good things the GAA try to do
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Rub-a-dub-Dub

Quote from: theskull1 on September 08, 2008, 11:16:51 AM
Quote from: Rub-a-dub-Dub on September 08, 2008, 09:59:55 AM
And your point to the funding of Kerry, my point is proven here too, when did you last see the Kerry huring team, they have little or no funding because in Kerry it all goes into football, kids do not want to play anything else.

Rub
Saying that it boils down to money is too simplistic. It's the interested adults in any area of the country that fires the imaginations of youngsters LONG before finance starts to play a part in the potential of those future senior players to have success at senior intercounty level. In KK there are a huge number of "hurling men", meaning that almost every kid has someone in their family who drives their youngsters out to play the game. I'm sure there are plenty across the hurling heartlands. In the weaker counties "hurling men" are few and far between and as a result have limited success at being able to convince enough kids to play the game. Most counties have a very small group of individuals keeping the game alive. In KK the exact opposite would be the case.

Take it or leave it parents (in both codes) are the scurge of all good things the GAA try to do

Very true, very true..........

The GAA has a lot to do at grass roots level to promote the game, you can really now see the Rugby and soccer explosion from the 70s/80's now taking hold.

Canalman

Orangeman, A Palace Coup is as far as I am aware a political term for a "regime change" which emanates from within the existing political structure.........thought it was an apt description for what was done to JMcC.

orangeman

Quote from: Canalman on September 08, 2008, 11:58:47 AM
Orangeman, A Palace Coup is as far as I am aware a political term for a "regime change" which emanates from within the existing political structure.........thought it was an apt description for what was done to JMcC.

Thanks for that - you learn something new every day - and you're right - a very apt description indeed.

theskull1

Quote from: Rub-a-dub-Dub on September 08, 2008, 11:53:44 AM

Very true, very true..........

The GAA has a lot to do at grass roots level to promote the game, you can really now see the Rugby and soccer explosion from the 70s/80's now taking hold.

"The GAA" is becoming a bit of a vague cliche IMO and is a term used far too often these days

The GAA is you and me. No improvements will come if people are expecting some annoymous entity to make it all happen without "individual" members/parents/families/schools stepping up to play their part regardless of outside assistance.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera