The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full moon

Every Ulster game was shown last year. Not showing Cavan Donegal is one thing but to not televise Monaghan Tyrone is criminal, its also basically destroys BBC NIs Gaa coverage entirely 

Im sure though we'll get to see the Dubs hammer Wiclow or Offaly in some farce "match" for the greater good

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on April 24, 2018, 05:41:29 PM
Quote from: full moon on April 24, 2018, 05:38:28 PM
Quote from: SCFC on April 24, 2018, 05:34:10 PM
Who wants to look at Ulster football?😉
Who wants to watch some hurling round robin match
Lots of people I would think.

Depends. If the top 2 places are known early on in both championships, which could happen then round 5 mightn't be appealing.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

So we won't get to see Carlow v Louth!?

Seriously I would have expected a revision of the TV deals following the change of Championship formats.

Farr -Round 5 would be a virtual  knock out round as the 3rd team goes through.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

full moon

Nah
The current hurling format is a mess thrown together to rival super 8s

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Rossfan on April 24, 2018, 05:59:06 PM
So we won't get to see Carlow v Louth!?

Seriously I would have expected a revision of the TV deals following the change of Championship formats.

Farr -Round 5 would be a virtual  knock out round as the 3rd team goes through.
Probably weren't going to anyway, but there may be some reasonably interesting clashes ignored because the last 8 razzle dazzle is all that matters to HQ and the media.

Rossfan

Media always concentrate on what attracts most public interest.
Poor oul Carlow v Louth won't interest more than 5% of the population of the 2 Counties themselves never mind the rest if the Country.

johnnycool

Quote from: full moon on April 24, 2018, 06:02:24 PM
Nah

Don't agree to an extent.

Yes it was probably set up to rival the Super 8's, but in all honesty I think the Munster Round Robin will be full blown, no holds barred stuff as any of the 5 can be each other on a given day.
Leinster is a bit more predictable in that regard especially with Dublin a bit off the pace.

GAA needs to offer a package with X number of lower level games and Y number of higher level games, You don't get the package unless you show both.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: johnnycool on April 25, 2018, 08:36:24 AM
Quote from: full moon on April 24, 2018, 06:02:24 PM
Nah

Don't agree to an extent.

Yes it was probably set up to rival the Super 8's, but in all honesty I think the Munster Round Robin will be full blown, no holds barred stuff as any of the 5 can be each other on a given day.
Leinster is a bit more predictable in that regard especially with Dublin a bit off the pace.

GAA needs to offer a package with X number of lower level games and Y number of higher level games, You don't get the package unless you show both.
I think the new hurling format is sensible in theory, though unfortunately it cuts out Laois (first time ever not in the SHC?), Carlow etc. And that the bottom Leinster team (Offaly) would go down but if Kerry were to go up it'd require a playoff with the bottom Munster team, if I have it right, is rather unfair but typical of the hoops that those outside the big teams are made to jump through to be allowed be at the party, but at least the round-robin element is contained within the provincial system and it builds up towards the knockout system, with everyone having had a fair go.

How the round-robin has come into football is ridiculous and motivated by the wrong reasons, if groups had to come into the SFC I'd either have used them within the provinces (kick NY out of Connacht and you'd have groups of 6 in Connacht/Munster, 6/5 Leinster and 5/4 Ulster) or to replace the first round of the qualifiers. But the way it is going to be underlines that in HQ's eyes the likes of us don't really matter and are a nuisance to be put up with for a month or so and no more.

Farrandeelin

Well said OMS. I cannot fathom how county boards were swayed so easily by Duffy's tour of the country last year when pushing it through. For those in favour of having more games to find out who the best team is, we get that all the time anyway.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

7 County Boards are only interested in Hurling
10 or 12 felt they'd  get to the last 8 regularly and get a big €€ game at home.
Others no doubt saw extra income for the GAA so more available for Co. Boards.
Maybe Messrs Duffy and Ó Fearghail are good salesmen.

As for the Hurley stuff's new system -one flaw is that the 4th and 5th teams in Munster would nearly always beat the 3rd team in Leinster, yet they won't get a shot at Liam due to the Provincial straitjacket.

johnnycool

Quote from: Rossfan on April 25, 2018, 10:53:10 AM
10 or 12 felt they'd  get to the last 8 regularly and get a big €€ game at home.

As for the Hurley stuff's new system -one flaw is that the 4th and 5th teams in Munster would nearly always beat the 3rd team in Leinster, yet they won't get a shot at Liam due to the Provincial straitjacket.

Considering a lot of CB's have spent money they don't have to develop stadiums I'd say they jumped at the change to Super 8's and the hurling round robins in the hope that it'll mean more revenue for them irrespective of the impact it will have on their clubs.

Hurling wise I can see this being a step in the direction of moving away from the Provincial championships to a more open draw type scenario as the round robin system beds in. The Provincial councils will lose control and that's not a bad thing for hurling.

Westmeath, Laois, Carlow, Kerry, Antrim are regularly screwed over by the powers that be in hurling, so it is no suprise there. Par for the course.

tippabu

Quote from: johnnycool on April 25, 2018, 11:09:00 AM

Considering a lot of CB's have spent money they don't have to develop stadiums I'd say they jumped at the change to Super 8's and the hurling round robins in the hope that it'll mean more revenue for them irrespective of the impact it will have on their clubs.

Hurling wise I can see this being a step in the direction of moving away from the Provincial championships to a more open draw type scenario as the round robin system beds in. The Provincial councils will lose control and that's not a bad thing for hurling.

Westmeath, Laois, Carlow, Kerry, Antrim are regularly screwed over by the powers that be in hurling, so it is no suprise there. Par for the course.

the hurling is an absolute joke, whoever finishes last in leinster is relegated and winner of the joe mcdonagh go up however if kerry win the joe mcdonagh there is a playoff with the last team in munster. why is one straight forward and one the need of a playoff. is it a case where super 8's and hurling format that they want the rich to get richer and the poor get poorer (not a dublin reference;))

full moon

Quote from: tippabu on April 25, 2018, 09:06:58 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 25, 2018, 11:09:00 AM

the hurling is an absolute joke, whoever finishes last in leinster is relegated and winner of the joe mcdonagh go up however if kerry win the joe mcdonagh there is a playoff with the last team in munster. why is one straight forward and one the need of a playoff. is it a case where super 8's and hurling format that they want the rich to get richer and the poor get poorer (not a dublin reference;))
Aye only 10 teams in the Liam Mccarthy  plus the 2 from McDonagh.Its a closed shop and thats the way they like it, so much for All Ireland. Its the early stages but the football HQ and Dubs will push for tiered also. Theyve already decided to stop televising smaller counties.

Rossfan

When did "they" televise smaller Counties?
When were there 32 teams competing for Liam McCarthy?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Rossfan on April 25, 2018, 11:43:47 PM
When did "they" televise smaller Counties?
When were there 32 teams competing for Liam McCarthy?

But poor old Michael Duignan's 132 year old grandad won't get to see the games....
#newbridgeornowhere