Sat Nav

Started by Lecale2, May 10, 2007, 07:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: Orior on July 25, 2019, 07:48:00 AM
I'm heading to Spain. What's the best SatNav app?

I always find Google maps as good and handy as any. If you're worried about data you can download an area before you go

gallsman

DickyRock

Quote from: gallsman on July 25, 2019, 08:04:51 AM
Waze

I drive with Waze on all the time. It has a good community which point out road closures and hazards including cops. Can't cache maps though

gallsman

Until Boris fucks everyone, data roaming is still free in the EU. A bit of navigation isn't going to do any damage to most mobile data packages in this day and age.

NAG1

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 25, 2019, 08:02:59 AM

I always find Google maps as good and handy as any. If you're worried about data you can download an area before you go

+1 it really is hard to beat and not massively sore on the data either.

armaghniac

Always download the area in advance, apart from the cost it ensures things work if there are any blips in the data service.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Coming from the states I get a limited amount of data when I go to Europe, and only use it in a pinch if I'm off WiFi and need navigation.

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 25, 2019, 09:36:09 PM
Coming from the states I get a limited amount of data when I go to Europe, and only use it in a pinch if I'm off WiFi and need navigation.

If you had downloaded your maps you wouldn't need any, except for traffic and pedestrian navigation.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Encountered Google Maps through CarPlay for the first time over the last two weeks. Excellent.

Dougal Maguire

I'm just back from there. Like an idiot I paid extra for sat nav, did the same last year in Croatia forgetting about the maps app on the iPhone which works a treat, particularly if the car has Apple play.
Careful now

armaghniac

if you have a Garmin, you can download free maps based on Openstreetmap, or buy the relevant map. Even buying a map is likely cheaper than renting a SatNav from a rental company.