Gaillimh v Maigh Eo, Staid na Gaoithe, 1400, 10-Fea-2018

Started by macdanger2, February 05, 2018, 10:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 06, 2018, 02:59:06 PM
Comer will play against Mayo! If Galway win, I can see Galway using him more sparingly after that as the pressure to stay in the Division will be off. The fixtures so far have suited Galway and I think this fixture is coming at a good time for them.

Care to explain how you think the fixtures suited them? Tyrone is not a fixture you would hand pick to start your league campaign and trying to beat Donegal away in round 2 is tough or be it they have a very poor record in Letterkenny. Mayo hard to know where they are at yet but could beat Monaghan away so should be capable of beating Galway.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: seafoid on February 06, 2018, 02:46:00 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 06, 2018, 02:32:10 PM
Comer at the moment is in flying form however if he doesn't slow down he'll be burnt out by May. The talk pre-league about Galway missing players seems to be parked now maybe a sudden realisation that the replacements that have come in are as good if not better than those players that are missing in action?
It's only the league

Quite. Donegal could have easily drawn or won the match last Sunday and the narrative would be very different heading into this Sunday.
Galway only won a third of all kickouts and lost a majority of their own restarts against Donegal. This is not a habit that will lead to the winning of football matches on a regular basis and if similar is replicated on Sunday then it's going to be very tough.

Given that Mayo will have targeted this match as two points that are very attainable, Galway can't afford to rest Comer in Salthill, that's the reality of the situation.

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 06, 2018, 03:01:09 PM
I still think the likes of Ian Burke, Daly, Silke and Power are likely to get back on the team once they are available. Cummins possibly but he's been injured a lot over the past 12 months. FOC might struggle to get his place back ahead of Cooke or Flynn. Not sure he's really mobile enough in midfield for the modern game. Young Molloy's chances probably not helped by missing all the league due to Corofin's run. Farragher hard to tell.

Daly and Burke will definitely come into the starting 15 if fit unless their playing form falls off a cliff. Silke depends on who you are going to replace for him and in what position. Power and Lavelle is all much of a muchness.

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Maroon Manc

Those kickout stats are worse than I thought, technically Galway won 9 out of 20 of their own kickouts but the reality it was 7 out of 20 as a free was given against Cooke within seconds of catching the ball and a hop ball was given seconds after Bradshaw caught the ball which Donegal subsequently won.

Thats absolutely diabolical, winning 35% of your own kickouts against Div 1 opposition and winning is some sort of miracle. Galway did exceptionally well to come away with the win.

Cooke gave the ball away than anymore else although, he played well overall but just needs to be more careful with his kick passing. He's looking to make things happen when in possession which I like rather than the safe option FOC & Flynn tend to use.

Syferus

From the Bunker

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 06, 2018, 03:11:42 PM
Comer will play against Mayo! If Galway win, I can see Galway using him more sparingly after that as the pressure to stay in the Division will be off. The fixtures so far have suited Galway and I think this fixture is coming at a good time for them.

Care to explain how you think the fixtures suited them? Tyrone is not a fixture you would hand pick to start your league campaign and trying to beat Donegal away in round 2 is tough or be it they have a very poor record in Letterkenny. Mayo hard to know where they are at yet but could beat Monaghan away so should be capable of beating Galway.

You avoided Kerry and Dublin. You played Donegal in Letterkenny, a place they never do well in! You meet a Mayo team who never start well in the League. Tyrone at the moment look to be still shook from last years semi-final.  If Galway were playing Mayo in Castlebar, I'd be less confident.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 06, 2018, 07:01:32 PM

You avoided Kerry and Dublin. You played Donegal in Letterkenny, a place they never do well in! You meet a Mayo team who never start well in the League. Tyrone at the moment look to be still shook from last years semi-final.  If Galway were playing Mayo in Castlebar, I'd be less confident.

In fairness Kerry and Dublin will have near full strength sides in the latter rounds and will be more fitter. Mayo i read elsewhere have won 3 of their last 4 round 3 games in NFL.

mayoman dan

With Regan out for a while and Cillian very out of form id like to see something like this start in the forwards

Gibbons    Aido

Diarmuid    Mc Loughlin     Boland

Freeman     Doherty       Loftus

We need to be looking at options and if not now then when.This is a strong albeit experimental forward line.Freeman could be swapped with Naughton or Treacy.Im not convinced by Douglas and we know what Andy and Cillian can do its time to give others a chance

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 06, 2018, 07:01:32 PM

Maybe Tyrone are just not good enough
Monaghan could only just beat Kildare

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

cornetto

Galway to start with the same 15, league is the league Walsh would have targeted this game as it is a home match,in fairness mayo travel well and after a defeat always seem determined to bounce back.i expect it to be the usual tight game with Galway that bit ahead fitness wise to shade it.

slippery dodger

What kind of crowd are ye expecting in Salthill on Sunday?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: slippery dodger on February 07, 2018, 05:09:32 AM

I'd say there could be between 8 and 10k at it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 07, 2018, 07:56:56 AM

Plus another thousand walking the Prom
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 07, 2018, 07:56:56 AM

That's a big disparity Farr..between 8 people and 10 thousand people ?

Maroon Manc

Mayo will be well up for this game especially given last weeks antics by Kerry. The mayoblog has made for entertaining reading this week, perhaps I'm harsh but the main man has a high opinion of himself.

I'd expect COC to start this week as there's no better man at guiding the ref through a game these days. Comer could certainly learn a thing or two from his rival captain in terms of his craftiness, his temperament has been exceptional since his sending off in Limerick a few years 3 years ago.