FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: ballinaman on November 13, 2012, 12:46:42 PM
Do they change the groups around each year?
Same groups for the 3rd year running & when they change it they usually just swap the college teams.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

I'm fine with the groups, especially since the choice game for us is always nearby for me in Ballinlough or Ballyhaunis. The Mayo/Roscommon game is a big deal for both clubs.

Rossfan

Talk of a Final of some competition - probably the NFL going to NY in 2014.
I'd say the GAA will be praying Mayowr don't make the Final  ;D
I would suggest the All Ireland Junior final would be the most suitable- at least the crowd wouldn't be any lower than at present.
Playing the NFL final there would mean a loss of maybe €400k to the NFL pool for distribution to the Counties.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

All set for the start of the Inter County Senior season ?
With 9 or 10 St Brigids and maybe 15 students on the panel will John Evans have enough players available to field a team at all? :o

ross4life

Quote from: Rossfan on January 01, 2013, 10:15:58 AM
With 9 or 10 St Brigids and maybe 15 students on the panel will John Evans have enough players available to field a team at all? :o
Was only 4 Brigids players on the panel last year & as far as i know all of 2006 minors plus Enda Kenny,Cathal Cregg have finished their studies now. Our lack of interest in competition was shown last year when only 18 players turned up/togged out v Leitrim.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Would love to see Fintan Cregg get a run out, the same for David O'Gara if he's returned from NYC (he will be at some point this season, anyways). Paddy Brogan is still in Carlow IT but he's overage now so he may feature depending on scheduling and it'd be great to see as he was the captain in every sense of the word for the u21 team, hard as nails and no shortage of talent.

Rossfan

Quote from: ross4life on January 01, 2013, 06:11:11 PM
Was only 4 Brigids players on the panel last year & as far as i know all of 2006 minors plus Enda Kenny,Cathal Cregg have finished their studies now. Our lack of interest in competition was shown last year when only 18 players turned up/togged out v Leitrim.
Not that many 2006 Minors on the panel any more even with Kevin Higgins, Devaney, Fintan and O'Gara back. Domo will be sticking with Brigids I expect so after that there will be Carty, Shine and Keenan.
Word is there are 9 Brigids on the panel.
Hopefully it is a big panel at present to enable us partake in this silly tournament.

ross4life

Quote from: Rossfan on January 01, 2013, 06:48:48 PM
Quote from: ross4life on January 01, 2013, 06:11:11 PM
Not that many 2006 Minors on the panel any more even with Kevin Higgins, Devaney, Fintan and O'Gara back. Domo will be sticking with Brigids I expect so after that there will be Carty, Shine and Keenan.
Word is there are 9 Brigids on the panel.
Hopefully it is a big panel at present to enable us partake in this silly tournament.

Getting 8 out of any minor panel is plentiful don't you think? Brigids the best club side in Connacht (one of the top five sides in Ireland) should have at least 8 players on the Roscommon panel. John Evans has a track record of giving youth a chance and he's got plenty of underage talent in Roscommon to choose from.

Syferus

I can't fathom this idea I've heard out of a few people that we 'don't have many of the 2006 minors left'. Besides Cregg's taking a year off last season to focus on getting healthy and on his title-chasing club the only time the eight minors have be absent from the panel has been holidays.

We have had an incredible retention rate from a single minor team and despite any misgivings I had about the holiday exodus because of their disallusionment with Newton and the Galway defeat I'm very grateful for the years upon years they've given to the cause.

Most are yet to reach their peak and a fit David O'Gara can not be underestimated in his value to the panel, even half-fit against Tyrone in 2011 he was impressive and in half a game against Galway last year he was our best player outside Cregger.

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on January 01, 2013, 08:42:29 PM
I can't fathom this idea I've heard out of a few people that we 'don't have many of the 2006 minors left'.

I think you'll find it was because only 3 of them were left on the panel for the 2012 qualifiers and one of them was quite inactive to say the least - a kind of non playing player if you like.
Anyway it's good to have 8 there still and I'm sure they, like all the panel will have to prove themselves to Mr Evans who I believe is a no nonsense manager.

However without the St Brigids lads and the students you have to question the value of this tournament to us this year.

Syferus

Given how late Evans was appointed I'm sure he'll be happy any games he can get to form a better idea of the players that are available. It's the same as always with the FBD, make the players believe league starting places are up for grabs and the intensity of the players will rise. The Mayo game last year was a January game in every sense, both teams threw up big holes in their performances, but the fact it was a close rivalry game stood us in good stead going to our first NFL game against a then-fancied Tipp team.

Evans himself knows the rest of that story very well.

ck

Sligo IT will be severely under strength for opener against Sligo. I'm hearing Eamon O'Hara is making a return. At 38 he has to be the oldest county player in the country

magpie seanie

Quote from: ck on January 02, 2013, 01:40:10 PM
Sligo IT will be severely under strength for opener against Sligo. I'm hearing Eamon O'Hara is making a return. At 38 he has to be the oldest county player in the country

Pretty sure he's 37 and will turn 38 in 2013 but the point still stands - amazing longevity especially when you consider his injury back catalogue.

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 03, 2013, 06:32:11 PM

Pretty sure he's 37 and will turn 38 in 2013 but the point still stands - amazing longevity especially when you consider his injury back catalogue.

Tough to see David Kelly out for another league campaign. Though Sligo's season - indeed Walsh's entire tenure, honestly - will be defined by the likely Connacht final in July so although it makes the potential for a promotion push less likely it doesn't move the goalposts too much. Kelly's one of the finest forwards in the country when he's fit.

ck

Quote from: Syferus on January 03, 2013, 07:44:21 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 03, 2013, 06:32:11 PM

Tough to see David Kelly out for another league campaign. Though Sligo's season - indeed Walsh's entire tenure, honestly - will be defined by the likely Connacht final in July so although it makes the potential for a promotion push less likely it doesn't move the goalposts too much. Kelly's one of the finest forwards in the country when he's fit.

David Kelly still out? What's his injury. God he's had shocking bad luck with injuries. Sligo have been robbed of his best years