GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cluborcountywhynotboth

Quote from: Rossfan on May 15, 2020, 05:12:58 PM
Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on May 14, 2020, 12:33:32 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on May 14, 2020, 12:21:10 PM
The lockdown has never been about protecting young, healthy people from the virus. Where has that idea come from? Why are people arguing against this straw man?

It's about stopping young, healthy people (and everyone else) being a conduit for virus to not so young and not so healthy people.

Inherent in the argument that young, healthy people don't die, and should therefore be allowed to play away, is the notion that old and sick people should die so that this can happen. That's reprehensible.
[/b]

. IMO the best way forward would be to shield/lockdown/cocoon whatever you want to call it, those who are vulnerable and let everyone else get on with it. So your young healthy footballer or worker or whatever will not be passing it on to someone vulnerable as they will still be isolating.
You've literally just proved my point. Nowhere in that do I say they should be 'removed from their homes'. So thank you for proving my point.

Taylor

Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on May 15, 2020, 05:20:23 PM
The lockdown has never been about protecting young, healthy people from the virus. Where has that idea come from? Why are people arguing against this straw man?

It's about stopping young, healthy people (and everyone else) being a conduit for virus to not so young and not so healthy people.

Inherent in the argument that young, healthy people don't die, and should therefore be allowed to play away, is the notion that old and sick people should die so that this can happen. That's reprehensible.
[/b]

. IMO the best way forward would be to shield/lockdown/cocoon whatever you want to call it, those who are vulnerable and let everyone else get on with it. So your young healthy footballer or worker or whatever will not be passing it on to someone vulnerable as they will still be isolating.
You've literally just proved my point. Nowhere in that do I say they should be 'removed from their homes'. So thank you for proving my point.

So is your advice to shield/lockdown/cocoon whatever you want to call it, those who are vulnerable and let everyone else get on with it or is it to follow medical advice?

Two massively differing opinions.

Its ok to change your mind

Cluborcountywhynotboth

Quote from: Taylor on May 15, 2020, 05:26:04 PM

[/b]

So is your advice to shield/lockdown/cocoon whatever you want to call it, those who are vulnerable and let everyone else get on with it or is it to follow medical advice?

Two massively differing opinions.

Its ok to change your mind

Not massively different at all. I said this was the way forward, meaning once we get to the stage we can safely play football, not right now. For those of you who want to twist what I say or put words in mouth....I want footballers to have the choice to ply football when the medical advice says it is safe to do so (at present this is July). Along side this, and to limit infection, if it is still necessary, I think that those in the vulnerable categories should continue to cocoon as the have been. If you actually read the government time table this is pretty much what they are proposing. The vulnerable will not be in line with everyone else, in terms of the restrictions.

Rossfan

[/b]

A 25 year old living in a household wants to play football.
Oh good let him at it.
His mother who has cancer has to be kept hidden away somewhere from the selfish little bolx.
But as long as you didn't actually type "remove her from her house" .......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

Quote from: Rossfan on May 15, 2020, 06:43:20 PM

Oh good let him at it.
His mother who has cancer has to be kept hidden away somewhere from the selfish little bolx.

The first lesson of the new normal is that if you are living at home with a parent or someone else who has recently had cancer, you need either to get out of the house, or live like a hermit if you wish to stay.

This has nothing to do with football. Anyone who is prepared to selfishly put a parent's health at risk will do it anyway regardless of whether there's football to play.

Rossfan

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Captain Obvious

How about a bit of Banty?

President Horan wanted to lower expectations on GAA return says Monaghan boss.

"I think John Horan's ambition on Sunday night was to put a dampener on any possibility or any hope of playing football in 2020. If that was his ambition, to lower expectations, he succeeded," said the Corduff man.

"I would have a lot more hope than that. The Irish government and the Irish health service have done a tremendous job in flattening the curve, and deadening the curve nearly.

"I would be hopeful that the risk could be abated by the time they're talking about if we keep suppressing the numbers. You're down to very small numbers of cases every day in Ireland; it's decreasing. The trend that it's on, we could be at zero by July. If we were, then that risk is gone. I'm hoping we have a chance, and maybe the gun was pulled too early here.

"To be fair to John, his comments were in relation to if social distancing was still in place. He was very specific about that. It was maybe just a case of being cautious and careful rather than anything else."

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: five points on May 15, 2020, 06:54:53 PM

Oh good let him at it.

The first lesson of the new normal is that if you are living at home with a parent or someone else who has recently had cancer, you need either to get out of the house, or live like a hermit if you wish to stay.

There are countless elderly that are reliant on younger siblings/their children/relatives for day-to-day support... which involves more than dropping groceries at the front door.
i usse an speelchekor

five points

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 16, 2020, 09:12:39 PM
Quote from: five points on May 15, 2020, 06:54:53 PM

Oh good let him at it.

There are countless elderly that are reliant on younger siblings/their children/relatives for day-to-day support... which involves more than dropping groceries at the front door.

And...?  These people need to live like hermits at the moment and as long as this crisis persists. That doesn't stop everyone else from doing what they can as permitted by regulations.

larryin89

Does anyone think some people are in lala land about how long this is going to be with us . I see a quote from Banty above about the virus leaving us completely by July . Some scientists have said it will be with us for years . This is what is so confusing , the dramatic contrast in predictions. 

I'm interested to know what other mere mortals like myself think , I can't see how we will have a full house Croke park for years tbh , does anyone else fear that ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

I'd go with Karen's expert advice before Banty's.
I suppose like most managers he's missing th'oul "expenses".

I don't know Larry nor do most people.
If there isn't a vaccine or at least a cure the World will have to learn to live alongside the Covid. What will that entail?
And how will amateur  team sport operate?
Will players have to wear visors? Will spectators have to wear masks or be sprayed with disinfectants entering or leaving venues?
Or will the Covid read Banty's piece and feck off in early July?

seafoid

Quote from: larryin89 on May 17, 2020, 12:14:26 PM
Does anyone think some people are in lala land about how long this is going to be with us . I see a quote from Banty above about the virus leaving us completely by July . Some scientists have said it will be with us for years . This is what is so confusing , the dramatic contrast in predictions. 

I'm interested to know what other mere mortals like myself think , I can't see how we will have a full house Croke park for years tbh , does anyone else fear that ?

The Govt is managing expectations .
The next 6 weeks will tell a lot about how strong the virus is.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

The reality is Larry no one really knows. I don't think there is enough of an understanding of this from anyone anywhere experts or not.