GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on May 14, 2020, 06:48:53 PM
To all the experts on here repeating verbatim that we can't do anything till we have a vaccine.....a virologist was on the tv today (so I'd suggest a little more qualified that most on here), and stated that the world has never created a vaccine for any of the coronavirus strands (sars etc..), in fact in history the only vaccine for a virus similar to this was the vaccine for smallpox. Even the much compared Spanish flu was never cured. So if you seriously think that we won't be returning to things like football before a vaccine is found then you are very much wrong. As minister Harris said weeks and weeks ago, we have to find a way to live with the virus.

Who are you to call it ? There are reports in the public domain from club managers the last 48hrs telling you some of their players are not willing to risk bringing the virus to their home if they had to play before social distancing is lifted.

There will be no football this year and it will be a case of seeing how the virus progresses by next year to see if it is possible for football in 21 .

For now and the foreseeable the world is a very different place the pre covid19. Living with the virus does not mean gung   ho  off ye go . There will always be restrictions till cure or vaccine . It's a very bleak period , there is nothing positive at all about covid19  & it's way more serious of a threat than we think .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Square Ball

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 14, 2020, 05:48:28 PM
Five points is right. We have paralysed society and the GAA for long enough. Time to open up. This flu has its dangers like almost every flu but some stuff blown away up.
No vaccine no GAA? Catch yourself on.
So just asking, are you proposing ending the lockdown altogether and letting everyone go out?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Taylor

Quote from: Square Ball on May 15, 2020, 07:20:55 AM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 14, 2020, 05:48:28 PM
Five points is right. We have paralysed society and the GAA for long enough. Time to open up. This flu has its dangers like almost every flu but some stuff blown away up.
No vaccine no GAA? Catch yourself on.
So just asking, are you proposing ending the lockdown altogether and letting everyone go out?

There are a few posters on this thread that seems to be saying anything just to get a reaction.

This could be one of them SB

Cluborcountywhynotboth

Quote from: larryin89 on May 15, 2020, 01:11:38 AM
To all the experts on here repeating verbatim that we can't do anything till we have a vaccine.....a virologist was on the tv today (so I'd suggest a little more qualified that most on here), and stated that the world has never created a vaccine for any of the coronavirus strands (sars etc..), in fact in history the only vaccine for a virus similar to this was the vaccine for smallpox. Even the much compared Spanish flu was never cured. So if you seriously think that we won't be returning to things like football before a vaccine is found then you are very much wrong. As minister Harris said weeks and weeks ago, we have to find a way to live with the virus.

Who are you to call it ? There are reports in the public domain from club managers the last 48hrs telling you some of their players are not willing to risk bringing the virus to their home if they had to play before social distancing is lifted.

There will be no football this year and it will be a case of seeing how the virus progresses by next year to see if it is possible for football in 21 .

For now and the foreseeable the world is a very different place the pre covid19. Living with the virus does not mean gung   ho  off ye go . There will always be restrictions till cure or vaccine . It's a very bleak period , there is nothing positive at all about covid19  & it's way more serious of a threat than we think .
I am no one to call it, I am giving my opinion which is what a discussion board is about, albeit it appears if you don't tow the party line on here you are attacked with ridiculous comments about wanting people to die and how it's like Nazi Germany 🤯.
It's ironic that you question who should call it yet you (And others on here) totally ignore the fact that the actual experts, those who have put us into lockdown and are advising on the government strategy have laid out a plan for resumption of normal life (and within this football) and yet because it doesn't suit your narrative you and others question it. You must know better than the CMO and the virologists.
Also with regards club managers saying players wouldn't play, the survey carried out by the Club Players Association indicated that only 22% of players said they would not play (57% would and 21% didn't know), if you factor in the likely hood of players with underlaying health issues like asthma etc... this is to be expected. However (for those talking about government spin) the spin from the CPA was headlines of 'players don't want to play', which was totally  disingenuous.

Taylor

Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on May 15, 2020, 09:00:21 AM

I am no one to call it, I am giving my opinion which is what a discussion board is about, albeit it appears if you don't tow the party line on here you are attacked with ridiculous comments about wanting people to die and how it's like Nazi Germany 🤯.
It's ironic that you question who should call it yet you (And others on here) totally ignore the fact that the actual experts, those who have put us into lockdown and are advising on the government strategy have laid out a plan for resumption of normal life (and within this football) and yet because it doesn't suit your narrative you and others question it. You must know better than the CMO and the virologists.
Also with regards club managers saying players wouldn't play, the survey carried out by the Club Players Association indicated that only 22% of players said they would not play (57% would and 21% didn't know), if you factor in the likely hood of players with underlaying health issues like asthma etc... this is to be expected. However (for those talking about government spin) the spin from the CPA was headlines of 'players don't want to play', which was totally  disingenuous.

So almost a quarter of players said they wont play with a further 1/5 undecided.

Means many many teams wouldnt have the numbers to field - simple fact of the matter

five points

Quote from: Taylor on May 15, 2020, 11:51:58 AM
So almost a quarter of players said they wont play with a further 1/5 undecided.

Means many many teams wouldnt have the numbers to field - simple fact of the matter

You seem to be hoping that the GAA will fail to get going again for the foreseeable future. Odd.

Taylor

Quote from: five points on May 15, 2020, 12:05:19 PM

You seem to be hoping that the GAA will fail to get going again for the foreseeable future. Odd.

Not sure where I have said that?

I want the GAA to get going as soon as it is SAFE to do so - I dont want it going back if it could cause the death of the elderly & vulnerable in our own community

five points

Quote from: Taylor on May 15, 2020, 12:08:09 PM

I want the GAA to get going as soon as it is SAFE to do so - I dont want it going back if it could cause the death of the elderly & vulnerable in our own community

You seem glad to point out that clubs won't have enough players to field teams. If John Horan announces a restart plan next week or next month on the basis of medical advice, please tell me you won't object on such phony grounds.

Taylor

Quote from: five points on May 15, 2020, 12:11:28 PM
Quote from: Taylor on May 15, 2020, 12:08:09 PM

You seem glad to point out that clubs won't have enough players to field teams. If John Horan announces a restart plan next week or next month on the basis of medical advice, please tell me you won't object on such phony grounds.

Glad to point it out? Its a fact - almost a quarter of players wont play with 1/5 undecided.

How many clubs could field with that many players missing??

Not really phony is it unless players change their mind based on medical evidence.

If the medical advice comes that players families arent are risk of dying do you think the players wont play?

::)

five points

Quote from: Taylor on May 15, 2020, 12:27:09 PM

Glad to point it out? Its a fact - almost a quarter of players wont play with 1/5 undecided.

In my county, all apart from 2 or 3 of the weaker junior clubs.

Smurfy123

If the GAA give the go ahead to go back and someone doesn't want to I would respect that totally but to say teams won't field? Where you getting that out off?
Slovenia have now officially ended the pandemic and have been out of lockdown from April 20.
No I don't expect things to go back to normal just yet
In terms of the GAA
No indoor changing or half time etc
If sick stay at home
Limit supporters
Training to start but no contact for a month
Hand sanitizer entering the grounds and everywhere around the club
Bring your own water bottle

Taylor

Quote from: five points on May 15, 2020, 12:42:21 PM

Nice problem to have - in addition to 'forget' about 2 or 3 clubs because they are worried about members of their family dying isnt really in our ethos is it?

Cluborcountywhynotboth

Or you could say almost 2/3 are prepared to play with potentially a lot more. All depends on your perspective doesn't it.
I have to say the narrative from some people on here is very worrying. Just because myself and a couple of other posters are saying that we should return when the medical professionals advising the government and the GAA say so, it is being equated to not caring about if old or sick die. Horrible ascertain to make against people.
The fact of the matter is this is not a black and white issue and, as experts have said, waiting for a vaccine to return to any semblance of normality is a non starter as there is no guarantee we ever will find one. So saying that we should let those who want to play play (when advised too by the experts) is NOT saying we don't care about our communities or we are like Germany in the 30's.

five points

Quote from: Taylor on May 15, 2020, 12:51:45 PM
Quote from: five points on May 15, 2020, 12:42:21 PM

Nice problem to have - in addition to 'forget' about 2 or 3 clubs because they are worried about members of their family dying isnt really in our ethos is it?

Again you seem hell-bent on having nobody at all playing.

Me, I'd much prefer to see 100% of clubs in action, but if this isn't possible, I'd settle for 90%. Or even 50%.

This doesn't mean that anyone is forgotten btw. The GAA has survived worse in the past including when players, officials and supporters were murdered for being GAA people. We didn't throw in the towel then. Why should we now?

Taylor

Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on May 15, 2020, 01:07:20 PM

Or you could say almost 2/3 are prepared to play with potentially a lot more. All depends on your perspective doesn't it.
I have to say the narrative from some people on here is very worrying. Just because myself and a couple of other posters are saying that we should return when the medical professionals advising the government and the GAA say so, it is being equated to not caring about if old or sick die. Horrible ascertain to make against people.
The fact of the matter is this is not a black and white issue and, as experts have said, waiting for a vaccine to return to any semblance of normality is a non starter as there is no guarantee we ever will find one. So saying that we should let those who want to play play (when advised too by the experts) is NOT saying we don't care about our communities or we are like Germany in the 30's.

Who has said we should not return when medical professionals say it is safe?