GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

What about training? What about changing rooms? What about surfaces in the changing rooms? Transport to games?

Logistical minefield.

I agree it does have to come back but there needs to be a lot of responsibility shown here in making the decision to come back.

rodney trotter

Quote from: supersub on May 09, 2020, 12:21:40 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on May 08, 2020, 08:50:53 PM
It's medical experts opinion that matters. The government were only giving a guideline for what they hope to happen, doesn't mean it will happen. Pubs opening in August will be unlikely too, no matter what way pubs try and convince them to open.

Gaa as a amateur sport won't be happening.

I would like to think before publishing such a detailed document into the public domain, that medical experts had already been consulted. Just as they would have been on every aspect of the process to date.

Plenty of medical experts have written off Amateur Sporting being played since the phased announment was made.

supersub

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 09, 2020, 07:52:36 AM
Quote from: supersub on May 09, 2020, 12:21:40 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on May 08, 2020, 08:50:53 PM
It's medical experts opinion that matters. The government were only giving a guideline for what they hope to happen, doesn't mean it will happen. Pubs opening in August will be unlikely too, no matter what way pubs try and convince them to open.

Gaa as a amateur sport won't be happening.

I would like to think before publishing such a detailed document into the public domain, that medical experts had already been consulted. Just as they would have been on every aspect of the process to date.

Plenty of medical experts have written off Amateur Sporting being played since the phased announment was made.

That's all very well. But really only one set of medical experts matters, the ones that the government have liaised with while putting together their plan.

rodney trotter

Not really. Phase 4 and 5 of the phased announcement were vague. Leo in his speech said GAA wasn't a full contact sport, and put it at stage 4 and Rugby at stage 5..
He didn't explain about it being a Amateur sport, and how would players get tested or self isolate.?  Or why he thinks GAA club teams could return in July, when professional Leagues in Europe are suspended till September at the earliest

He just didn't want to spoil the party with his announcement.

larryin89

Here's the question I'd rather answered , how long do they expect this "new normal " to last ?  So many experts and intellectuals but I've yet to hear anyone say "look we would hope to be back to a packed croker in 2021/22/23 ?? It's alarming the void in long term predictions. So depressing man
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

seafoid

The GAA will be following rugby , hoping to look for lessons about the return to playing

htpps://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/0/when-will-rugby-season-resume-start-six-nations-games/amp/

World Rugby, in their set of guidelines titled 'Safe Return to Rugby', have suggested that a total of 167 people will be required for matches to take place behind closed doors, a list that includes security guards, a PA announcer and paramedics

Professionals will require a mini pre-season to get fit again once the government lockdown is lifted, in order to build back up not just match fitness but also muscle in key areas such as the neck to ensure set-pieces can be carried out safely.

https://playerwelfare.worldrugby.org/covid-19
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

larryin89

Quote from: seafoid on May 10, 2020, 11:26:41 AM
The GAA will be following rugby , hoping to look for lessons about the return to playing

htpps://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/0/when-will-rugby-season-resume-start-six-nations-games/amp/

World Rugby, in their set of guidelines titled 'Safe Return to Rugby', have suggested that a total of 167 people will be required for matches to take place behind closed doors, a list that includes security guards, a PA announcer and paramedics

Professionals will require a mini pre-season to get fit again once the government lockdown is lifted, in order to build back up not just match fitness but also muscle in key areas such as the neck to ensure set-pieces can be carried out safely.

https://playerwelfare.worldrugby.org/covid-19

Inter county players have hinted their disinterest at behind closed doors games .

rodney trotter

Quote from: larryin89 on May 10, 2020, 11:18:42 AM
Here's the question I'd rather answered , how long do they expect this "new normal " to last ?  So many experts and intellectuals but I've yet to hear anyone say "look we would hope to be back to a packed croker in 2021/22/23 ?? It's alarming the void in long term predictions. So depressing man

The Dutch League confirmed last week they will be playing behind closed  doors until there is a Vaccine. That's a Professional league where they are losing a lot of revenue. That could be from 1 to 5 years.
The GAA can't predict when they'll have crowds or experts either. 

larryin89

Yep fair enough and not really looking for the GAA to announce or predict , obviously we follow suit / guidelines.

It's the WHO , governments , scientists etc I want to hear more off , lots of mixed messages , I thought science was exact .  My main issue is i believe they do know a lot more and have a fair idea of timeframes for coming out of new normal into the old normal , have more concrete info on drugs and vaccines but for some reason think drip feeding is the way to go in a pandemic. Perhaps there is reasons for this like risks of social unrest but personally I'd appreciate knowing when our lives can return to normal and fook your new normal talk with all these new terminologies without any proper definition, all loose shite .

Smurfy123

You could have 5000 people at a club game in September going by the governments recommendations.
What's stopping 5000 people going to McHale Park in September? Social distancing off course. And by that stage I would imagine WHO to know if it's a metre or 2. They are now coming out with word that 1 metre social distancing is more than enough.
No vaccine no work in afraid
No vaccine no retail shops open
No vaccine no pubs open
No vaccine no restaurants open
No vaccine no gyms open
No vaccine no sports
No vaccine no mass
No vaccine no schools
No vaccine no university's

Don't come out with the no vaccine can't return crap because we may never have a vaccine

sid waddell

Quote from: larryin89 on May 10, 2020, 11:58:25 AM
Yep fair enough and not really looking for the GAA to announce or predict , obviously we follow suit / guidelines.

It's the WHO , governments , scientists etc I want to hear more off , lots of mixed messages , I thought science was exact .  My main issue is i believe they do know a lot more and have a fair idea of timeframes for coming out of new normal into the old normal , have more concrete info on drugs and vaccines but for some reason think drip feeding is the way to go in a pandemic. Perhaps there is reasons for this like risks of social unrest but personally I'd appreciate knowing when our lives can return to normal and fook your new normal talk with all these new terminologies without any proper definition, all loose shite .
People are trying to develop and/or test a vaccine. That's science.

Predicting when or if a vaccine will emerge and when a sufficient amount of the world's population will be immunised by said vaccine and everybody can get back to "normal" is not science - it's the same as some lad in the pub telling you to lump on a 6/1 shot in the 3:10 at Uttoxeter.

supersub

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 10, 2020, 07:18:20 AM
Not really . Phase 4 and 5 of the phased announcement were vague. Leo in his speech said GAA wasn't a full contact sport, and put it at stage 4 and Rugby at stage 5..
He didn't explain about it being a Amateur sport, and how would players get tested or self isolate.?  Or why he thinks GAA club teams could return in July, when professional Leagues in Europe are suspended till September at the earliest

He just didn't want to spoil the party with his announcement.

Well, yes really actually. The only medical opinions that will matter are those that the government liaise with. What happens or the timescale is a different issue. The point remains that it'll only be gov medical advisers that will matter. The rest of your post has little to do with that aspect.

larryin89

Quote from: sid waddell on May 10, 2020, 02:41:51 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 10, 2020, 11:58:25 AM

People are trying to develop and/or test a vaccine. That's science.

Predicting when or if a vaccine will emerge and when a sufficient amount of the world's population will be immunised by said vaccine and everybody can get back to "normal" is not science - it's the same as some lad in the pub telling you to lump on a 6/1 shot in the 3:10 at Uttoxeter.

That's sound and I'm probably not wording my posts right through frustration .

Let me put it this way ,  most people think we will back to the way things used to be within a year .

I don't think that's possible if you listen to what they are saying but not saying it at the same time .

No vaccine for at least 18 months ok that seems to be fairly well accepted as best case scenario , so that means , no going to watch football anywhere in the world all next season ?

How will organisations survive ?

What if they never get an effective vaccine or cure ? 

armaghniac

Quote from: larryin89 on May 10, 2020, 03:53:01 PM
What if they never get an effective vaccine or cure ?

I'm going to wear one of these for Armagh games.
It will be doubly useful if sitting near slabbering Tyrone or Down supporters.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

rodney trotter

John Fogarty tweeting the GAA is to soon pull the plug on Club football taking place this year. County will likely follow.