GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 08, 2020, 06:42:45 PM
But Larry the government in the south have said games can be held in phase 3 behind closed doors. Small gatherings also. No laws being broke.
What's your point

I give up .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

imtommygunn

It was also said that Gaa wasn't a full contact sport smurfy.

larryin89

I'm aware the both the GAA & govt officials have said games could go ahead and indeed it's in the phased plan for July 20th

But for the last time I'll try to explain what I don't understand about the above , social distancing will be in place , there's no doubt about that anywhere in any guidelines and how do you social distance playing a game of football .

Surely now you understand my point , I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing about anything just baffled by it .

rodney trotter

It's medical experts opinion that matters. The government were only giving a guideline for what they hope to happen, doesn't mean it will happen. Pubs opening in August will be unlikely too, no matter what way pubs try and convince them to open.

Gaa as a amateur sport won't be happening.

larryin89

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 08, 2020, 08:50:53 PM
It's medical experts opinion that matters. The government were only giving a guideline for what they hope to happen, doesn't mean it will happen. Pubs opening in August will be unlikely too, no matter what way pubs try and convince them to open.

And again that's my point the "medical experts " agree too that contact sports should be back with us by July 20th whilst social distancing is still in place .

Smurfy123

So Rodney are you saying rugby will return as it is professional?

rodney trotter

Yes It's more likely as a Professional Sport. Though the IRFU are screwed, with the summer tour called off and the fixtures will likely be beind closed doors until a Vaccine.

Smurfy123

So what's the difference in rugby and GAA starting up?
Don't say professional

rodney trotter

Rugby Players can self isolate as they are not working Professional players that is. GAA players like Jack McCaffrey is a doctor, so how could he go from that to playing? Putting his teammates and opponents at risk. Then there is the cost of testing players, 2 or 3 times a week.. An ordinary GAA club team isn't going avail of those services.

imtommygunn

Smurfy it may start up but would you not agree it makes no sense to socially distance society except when they play sports whether that be rugby or not?

People are told everyone could be a carrier of this virus and that is why you socially distance. Also you could be yourself.

Irrespective of whether you believe this or not that makes one rule for Gaa or sports in general and one rule for society. This is hipocrisy and not fair on players.

Professional very different. You remove yourself from social distancing then you shouldn't be near vulnerable people. You are professional they should put you up for your quarantine period plus more money to source testing. Amateur doesn't have that.

As I say it Gaa may well come back but it makes no sense. Workplaces much more important. It all depends on timelines of society in general. If some form of normality back then by all means bring Gaa back but until then it is not fair on players to do so.

sid waddell

There's a hierarchy here about which type of sports should be able to return and when.

First is non-contact open air sport like golf. Snooker and darts might be able to return reasonably quickly as well but they are indoors so that's a complicating factor.

Second is top level professonal contact sport, where the players can coccoon and clubs can afford to pay for their own testing.

Then there's top level amateur team contact sports, such as inter-county GAA, where wide scale testing for the participants might in time be able to be provided.

Last of all is grass roots amateur team contact sport. In a normal weekend, thousands of GAA club matches take place in Ireland. Add in soccer and rugby and it's many thousands. And there's no way you can provide frequent, wide scale testing for participants. As long as this virus is around, every one of those matches would be a tinderbox for the virus.

supersub

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 08, 2020, 08:50:53 PM

I would like to think before publishing such a detailed document into the public domain, that medical experts had already been consulted. Just as they would have been on every aspect of the process to date.

Square Ball

So, just hypothetical scenario.
Paddy and Joe work with eachother and play for 2 different GAA teams. They are playing eachother. So in work they are distancing, they leave work together distancing and walk to the bus, and of course observe the correct rules. On the bus they also observe the distancing rules and the same when the get off the bus and go to the pitch. At the game they mark eachother, game played and social distancing starts again. Why the difference?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

armaghniac

Quote from: Square Ball on May 09, 2020, 01:43:42 AM
So, just hypothetical scenario.
Paddy and Joe work with eachother and play for 2 different GAA teams. They are playing eachother. So in work they are distancing, they leave work together distancing and walk to the bus, and of course observe the correct rules. On the bus they also observe the distancing rules and the same when the get off the bus and go to the pitch. At the game they mark eachother, game played and social distancing starts again. Why the difference?

A game is a  particular event, one hour a week. Everyone takes showers and change their gear immediately afterwards. It is a call, but if the incidence is substantially reduced then some measured activity will be allowed, as it is now in Hong Kong for instance. If nobody is allowed close to you then hairdressers dentists etc are banjaxed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B