GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

And you can't shut down all hospitals, shops etc for 3 weeks.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 07, 2020, 04:23:27 PM
It's here. If you shut the island down it will still circulate from the people who have it. It would take a good bit longer than 3 weeks.

You would expect most cases for quite a while now have been coming from "internal" circulation as opposed to those coming off flights.

I forgot to add, testing, obviously once there has been the testing and tracing. But you get my drift
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

five points

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 07, 2020, 03:55:51 PM
Anthony Moyles speaking more sense then his fellow Meath man Colm O Rourke  https://t.co/CNgpvRzGKV?amp=1

Not really. Virtual reality might replace going to the cinema or watching Real Madrid on TV but it will hardly replace going to GAA club matches, or even county ones.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 07, 2020, 04:26:38 PM
It's here. If you shut the island down it will still circulate from the people who have it. It would take a good bit longer than 3 weeks.

You would expect most cases for quite a while now have been coming from "internal" circulation as opposed to those coming off flights.

I forgot to add, testing, obviously once there has been the testing and tracing. But you get my drift

You'd need to test everyone and have real time answers and not be waiting a day or two. It's too late when someone has symptoms as they could have spread it Everyone would need to be fully on board, or be forced to be onboard, with whereabouts for contact tracing.

Eradicating this entirely isn't really a possibility in current climate I would think. The horse has kind of bolted.

Disclaimer I am not an expert on the subject but eradicating this would look to be pretty much impossible.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 07, 2020, 04:39:00 PM

You'd need to test everyone and have real time answers and not be waiting a day or two. It's too late when someone has symptoms as they could have spread it Everyone would need to be fully on board, or be forced to be onboard, with whereabouts for contact tracing.

Eradicating this entirely isn't really a possibility in current climate I would think. The horse has kind of bolted.

Disclaimer I am not an expert on the subject but eradicating this would look to be pretty much impossible.

Well at least we'll know what to do next time  ::) ::)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

supersub

Quote from: larryin89 on May 07, 2020, 01:57:43 PM
Quote from: supersub on May 07, 2020, 01:49:09 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 07, 2020, 01:19:04 PM
Like I have been saying for the last week or two when realising this is way more serious than some are making out , amateur sport could be killed completely for the foreseeable at least . Next Championship could be as late as 2024.

A gross exaggeration. Things like this are why fake news exists.

Number one . Will social distancing apply till we have a vaccine or a cure for covid19?

Number two . Answer has to be yes otherwise what is point of social distancing at all ?

Number three . How can 500000 amateur players be permitted to ignore social distancing during games and training but then have to adhere to them after ?

Until there is a vaccine or a cure for covid19 you cannot expect amateur players to play contact sports . You cannot tell restaurants pubs and people who want to go to them they cannot go unless there is strict social distancing applied and then bend the rules for GAA players .

Number one - please remember why Social Distancing was brought in. It was not to get rid of the virus or be a remedy for it, it was to suppress the spread of the outbreak so the various Health Services could cope. If there is a significantly low, to no new case rate, maybe social distancing won't be needed.

Number two - unless you were backed by your own scientists while making the judgement on 2024, you have no founding to pick that date out of the sky. Hence the fake news aspect I mentioned. Some one reads that here, relays it to their mate, the mate doesn't know the content, relays it to someone else and it becomes a rumour. I am not saying it will go nationwide or anything like it, but why say something like that when there is absolutely no evidence or founding behind it?

I for one agree it was not taken seriously at the beginning, and indeed contact sport will be a very difficult hurdle to overcome. However I will not be pessimistic and throw out speculative dates or timescales.

In addition Sid said that a few weeks or two months ago some people said the potential lockdown regulations were a gross exaggeration. Not in my experience however. China, Malaysia and others experienced similar prior to this so I don't think it was the case people thought it wouldn't or couldn't happen.

larryin89

Never said it was a cure for gawds sake .

My "exaggeration " date plucked out of the sky is in line with when I believe from gathering all the bits of info I can on the timeframe needed to find , manufacture and deliver a vaccine all around the world .

But all that is just sidelined by the main point I'm trying to argue about how amateur sportsmen & women & children would be permitted to engage in contact sports whilst social distancing was still been enforced in everyday life .

When social distancing is lifted , gaa will return in its former glory until that point I can't fathom how it can return . Explain to me how you see it returning and I'll offer a reply if you wish .

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

rodney trotter

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 07, 2020, 02:52:47 AM
The bundesliga is going to kick off on the 15th of May but we have  to wait until October for a  behind closed doors game of hurling. It doesn't seem right. Surely GAA can return sooner.

German league only returning out of necessity, or some clubs will go bust, Germans have it more under control then most places in Europe,https://twitter.com/i/status/1258113061761748997
You can't compare that to GAA,

seafoid

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 07, 2020, 07:31:43 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on May 07, 2020, 02:52:47 AM
The bundesliga is going to kick off on the 15th of May but we have  to wait until October for a  behind closed doors game of hurling. It doesn't seem right. Surely GAA can return sooner.

German league only returning out of necessity, or some clubs will go bust, Germans have it more under control then most places in Europe,https://twitter.com/i/status/1258113061761748997
You can't compare that to GAA,
The GAA doesn't have to pay players which puts it under less time pressure
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

supersub

Quote from: larryin89 on May 07, 2020, 07:19:18 PM
Never said it was a cure for gawds sake .

My "exaggeration " date plucked out of the sky is in line with when I believe from gathering all the bits of info I can on the timeframe needed to find , manufacture and deliver a vaccine all around the world .

But all that is just sidelined by the main point I'm trying to argue about how amateur sportsmen & women & children would be permitted to engage in contact sports whilst social distancing was still been enforced in everyday life .

When social distancing is lifted , gaa will return in its former glory until that point I can't fathom how it can return . Explain to me how you see it returning and I'll offer a reply if you wish .

No you didn't but you asked will it have to go on until we have a cure or vaccine and then asked what the point of social distancing was. So I was merely reminding/replying to that, however this is a complete side track to my point. 2024 is a gross exaggeration in my opinion and remains my opinion. Life will go on, maybe in a different format or normality and things will return that have been put on hold. They will all take different shapes and forms. Under your pretence there will be no amateurs/professional dramatics, other arts, sports until 2024? I find that very very hard to believe.

I believe the GAA will and can return, maybe in 2020, maybe in 2021 but by then there will be some sort of medical guidance I would like to think, which allows safe return to all of the above. I am not a medic or a scientist so I will not roll out options for this, I don't have the proper knowledge to do so. I am sure however, a lot of people do and will.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 07, 2020, 05:57:08 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 07, 2020, 04:39:00 PM

Well at least we'll know what to do next time  ::) ::)

Most airlines will be bust by then so flights will cost so much there will be less travel so less opportunity to spread!!

Where we go Gaa wise should just be about where society goes. Society social distances then no play. Society doesn't social distance then play . To me as simple as that and anything else is ludicrous.

Smurfy123

As was said above social distancing was put in place to slow the curve and protect the NHS  and hospitals. Social distancing will not last forever. The curve has been well and truly buried to the extent that 95% of the new cases reported today were in carehomes. Itchy Ross you could potentially get the virus whilst out shopping. If you are that worried why not order the food in instead of putting your life at risk?

larryin89

Fuk me so we are all in agreement then, when social distancing is no longer required, then GAA sports can start up again .

This is all it boils down to , it's hard to fathom why all the speculation and back n forth media reports . Seems so straight forward to me .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

imtommygunn

Sports journalists have nothing else to write about and people love a good bit of speculation. I think that is about the height of it.

Itchy

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 07, 2020, 10:40:24 PM
As was said above social distancing was put in place to slow the curve and protect the NHS  and hospitals. Social distancing will not last forever. The curve has been well and truly buried to the extent that 95% of the new cases reported today were in carehomes. Itchy Ross you could potentially get the virus whilst out shopping. If you are that worried why not order the food in instead of putting your life at risk?

Smurfy - take a deep breath and listen. It is about risk. I could sit in the house with a window open and some fella sneezes on the street and a drop makes its way to me, unlikely but possible. Lets say I am 99.9% safe from contracting the virus in my house. When I go to the shop and take precautions like social distancing, wiping my trolley etc I am say 95% safe from contracting the virus. If I decide I am going to abandon social distancing, get close to large groups of people, get into very close contact with these people how safe am I then on this scale? For argument sake lets say I am 70% safe (I know I made this up, but I am talking orders of magnitude). Maybe as a young fit individual I am happy enough with 70%, I'm gung ho, I will get over it. However, this virus can live in me for an extended period without me knowing it is there and during that time I  can spread it to my mother and father, my neighbour, my kids. Maybe some of these people are vulnerable - recovering from cancer treatment, diabetic, asthmatic etc. Am I still willing to be gung ho? I would propose to you anyone who intentionally does this is being very wreckless.

Now finally, where does an organisation like the GAA stand if they were to facilitate a breach in social distancing to have football games. Lets say Mr Smurfy gets a call next week and is told great news the kids are back training. Lets say Mr Smurfy himself was at work and contracted Covid and unknown to himself he passed it onto his young lad. His young lad goes training and playing a match and infects some of the kids on his team, they all bring it back home and now 3 kids grandparents are very ill, perhaps they die. Where does the GAA sit ethically and even legally for facilitating this during a confirmed world wide pandemic?