GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

Quote from: larryin89 on May 07, 2020, 01:19:04 PM
Like I have been saying for the last week or two when realising this is way more serious than some are making out , amateur sport could be killed completely for the foreseeable at least . Next Championship could be as late as 2024.

A gross exaggeration. Things like this are why fake news exists.

larryin89

Quote from: supersub on May 07, 2020, 01:49:09 PM
Like I have been saying for the last week or two when realising this is way more serious than some are making out , amateur sport could be killed completely for the foreseeable at least . Next Championship could be as late as 2024.

Number one . Will social distancing apply till we have a vaccine or a cure for covid19?

Number two . Answer has to be yes otherwise what is point of social distancing at all ?

Number three . How can 500000 amateur players be permitted to ignore social distancing during games and training but then have to adhere to them after ?

Until there is a vaccine or a cure for covid19 you cannot expect amateur players to play contact sports . You cannot tell restaurants pubs and people who want to go to them they cannot go unless there is strict social distancing applied and then bend the rules for GAA players .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

seafoid

They should run the all Ireland in October with no prior training allowed. It would give the D3/4 teams a chance.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

Quote from: larryin89 on May 07, 2020, 01:57:43 PM
Until there is a vaccine or a cure for covid19 you cannot expect amateur players to play contact sports . You cannot tell restaurants pubs and people who want to go to them they cannot go unless there is strict social distancing applied and then bend the rules for GAA players .

You cannot expect people to play but many will want to if it is permitted, if they don't live with vulnerable people, for instance.
The problem will arise when Junior soccer is going ahead and GAA grounds are padlocked.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on May 07, 2020, 02:10:18 PM
They should run the all Ireland in October with no prior training allowed. It would give the D3/4 teams a chance.

A chance of what?

Rossfan

Quote from: Itchy on May 07, 2020, 01:35:09 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 07, 2020, 12:07:23 PM
Itchy and Ross I take it you will not go outside until a vaccine is found?
Can you guarantee you will not catch Covid 19 when you step outside?

I have to go outside and when I do I avoid close contact with people. I spend a lot of time in my garden. Doing that I am 99% safe. Running around on a pitch, smashing into people makes me a lot less than 99% safe and I dont need to do it either. I find it very difficult to understand how you cant grasp the difference.
When I go out it's to do garden work or go to the shop or a walk.
I dont go crashing and bashing into anyone I might meet at the shop or in the town. I dont go tussling with them for a ball ( real or imaginary), I dont stand on their heels for 60 or 70 minutes etc etccetc.
I'm afraid the words grasp and Smurfy dont go together.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Quote from: armaghniac on May 07, 2020, 02:11:24 PM

You cannot expect people to play but many will want to if it is permitted, if they don't live with vulnerable people, for instance.
The problem will arise when Junior soccer is going ahead and GAA grounds are padlocked.

Perhaps you're right but I predict absolute mayhem if it is permitted , I sense the youth are already beginning to get frustrated if we develop into a situation where GAA players are allowed ignore social distancing you cannot force others to do so . This is the crux of my point all along , if gaa amateur athletes who have jobs etc are given permission you open the floodgates .

It's not like professional sportsmen where there will be rigorous testing , contact with only family after football cause they don't have day jobs .

five points

Number one . Will social distancing apply till we have a vaccine or a cure for covid19?

Number two . Answer has to be yes otherwise what is point of social distancing at all ?

Number three . How can 500000 amateur players be permitted to ignore social distancing during games and training but then have to adhere to them after ?

The point of social distancing is or was to 'flatten the curve' in the short term so that an initial outbreak of Covid19 wouldn't overwhelm the health service. It is not a remedy for the virus, in fact for all we know it could cause more trouble as everyone's defences will be down when the normal flu season starts next winter.

Sooner or later we will all have to forget about social distancing if normal life is ever going to resume.

larryin89

Quote from: five points on May 07, 2020, 03:11:28 PM

The point of social distancing is or was to 'flatten the curve' in the short term so that an initial outbreak of Covid19 wouldn't overwhelm the health service. It is not a remedy for the virus, in fact for all we know it could cause more trouble as everyone's defences will be down when the normal flu season starts next winter.

Sooner or later we will all have to forget about social distancing if normal life is ever going to resume.

That's all I wanted to hear , if social distancing is abandoned obviously there's no issue .
I'm not sure I share your confidence it will be abandoned anytime soon . Was chatting to a well known publican this morning in malahide and he is not confident it will be lifted this year or next year . Seem to think the "new normal " will be with us for the foreseeable.

sid waddell

How? It's one possible scenario among many. A few months ago, even two months ago, people who foresaw a shutdown of the nature we are currrently experiencing were being derided by a lot of people as making "gross exaggerations". But they weren't. We can't predict the future with certainty and we can't predict with certainty how the virus will affect societies, how many people it will kill, how reopening society will go, whether a vaccine will emerge, whether treatments will emerge, the economic effects, the political effects.

You hope for the best, you should expect and be prepared for the worst - because the last four years should have taught us that the worst generally has a way of coming to pass. And this virus is a very serious problem.

mackers

Quote from: larryin89 on May 07, 2020, 03:20:25 PM
Quote from: five points on May 07, 2020, 03:11:28 PM

That's all I wanted to hear , if social distancing is abandoned obviously there's no issue .
I'm not sure I share your confidence it will be abandoned anytime soon . Was chatting to a well known publican this morning in malahide and he is not confident it will be lifted this year or next year . Seem to think the "new normal " will be with us for the foreseeable.
Was wondering where you got 2024 out of but if you are getting your medical advice from publicans in Malahide that explains a lot.  Why stop at 2024? Maybe 2025? 2030? Sweet Jesus.
As Itchy has said science will overcome this. May not be in 2020 but there are some gloom merchants on here.........
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

imtommygunn

Larry you speak total sense on this. How can society social distance everywhere except on a football pitch? If you break the rules on a football pitch then why not break them in socety? If you are asking for exceptions to play sports then is it fair on the sports players?

I saw a tweet from a player yesterday saying they live with elderly parents and what are they supposed to do. The parents would be at risk from him if he doesn't social distance over the course of a game / training and is in contact with someone who has it. How is that fair?

Society either socially distances or it doesn't. What's the point, and where's the fairness, on having an in between?

rodney trotter

Anthony Moyles speaking more sense then his fellow Meath man Colm O Rourke  https://t.co/CNgpvRzGKV?amp=1

Milltown Row2

So why not kill this virus by shutting down the island for 3 weeks? It doesn't last that long and over the next year or if a vaccine is found we keep everyone out!

Games can return in a matter of a month, business open up and we can all go to the pub!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

It's here. If you shut the island down it will still circulate from the people who have it. It would take a good bit longer than 3 weeks.

You would expect most cases for quite a while now have been coming from "internal" circulation as opposed to those coming off flights.