GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Would rossfan risk his life by going back to work if you were not 100% sure you wouldn't get the Covid virus?

lenny

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 07, 2020, 02:52:47 AM
The bundesliga is going to kick off on the 15th of May but we have  to wait until October for a  behind closed doors game of hurling. It doesn't seem right. Surely GAA can return sooner.

Hurling should probably be able to return earlier. Just adapt the helmets so that they work like a visor and all players to wear light gloves.

Itchy

Who is going to tell a player, he shoudl play and risk getting saliva from an oponent into his system and then bring it homw where is parent, perhaps a partner with Asthma or Diabetes lives. And this man is an amateur, has to work with other people who could have people at home with those same issues.

I see no way GAA sport starts up again in 2020 bar one of these things happens...

1- An effective treatment is found by using a drug currently on the market and readily available - ie if you catch it, you can be cured.
2- Somehow a vaccine is fast tracked (very low possibility)
3- A mass nationwide screening takes place showing that a huge proportion of the population already have had covid 19 unknown to themselves and as a result there is a type of herd immunity already in place. This would need an effective Antibody test which is not yet available.

Without one of those I just cannot see any way back.

Rossfan

Spot on Itchy.
And some think Club gaelic games and grassroots/amateur soccer, rugby etc. will be ok from July!

I see some County managers not happy....I presume their "expenses" are stopped after yesterday's decision to officially stand down Co panels.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

MayoBuck

Quote from: lenny on May 07, 2020, 10:13:53 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on May 07, 2020, 02:52:47 AM
The bundesliga is going to kick off on the 15th of May but we have  to wait until October for a  behind closed doors game of hurling. It doesn't seem right. Surely GAA can return sooner.

Hurling should probably be able to return earlier. Just adapt the helmets so that they work like a visor and all players to wear light gloves.

It would be impossible to play any field sport with a cover on your mouth/nose.

five points

Quote from: Itchy on May 07, 2020, 11:13:17 AM
Who is going to tell a player, he shoudl play and risk getting saliva from an oponent into his system and then bring it homw where is parent, perhaps a partner with Asthma or Diabetes lives. And this man is an amateur, has to work with other people who could have people at home with those same issues.

I see no way GAA sport starts up again in 2020 bar one of these things happens...

1- An effective treatment is found by using a drug currently on the market and readily available - ie if you catch it, you can be cured.
3- A mass nationwide screening takes place showing that a huge proportion of the population already have had covid 19 unknown to themselves and as a result there is a type of herd immunity already in place. This would need an effective Antibody test which is not yet available.

If you're correct (and you may well be) there is no way back and the GAA as we know it is finished.  What a mess.

Smurfy123

Itchy and Ross I take it you will not go outside until a vaccine is found?
Can you guarantee you will not catch Covid 19 when you step outside?

Taylor

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 07, 2020, 09:51:44 AM
Would rossfan risk his life by going back to work if you were not 100% sure you wouldn't get the Covid virus?

Smurfy - you do realise the GAA is a hobby - players are not paid.

People work to support their family and be able to live - when the money starts drying up people will take risks in order to make a living..........the only people making money from the GAA will be the managers/physios etc

larryin89

Like I have been saying for the last week or two when realising this is way more serious than some are making out , amateur sport could be killed completely for the foreseeable at least . Next Championship could be as late as 2024.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

JoG2

Quote from: larryin89 on May 07, 2020, 01:19:04 PM
Next Championship could be as late as 2024.

Quote from: five points on May 07, 2020, 12:07:18 PM

If you're correct (and you may well be) there is no way back and the GAA as we know it is finished.  What a mess.

Jesus ! Be more positive men !

five points

Quote from: JoG2 on May 07, 2020, 01:25:52 PM

It wasn't me who asserted that GAA sports can't restart until a number of major hurdles are crossed.

Itchy

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 07, 2020, 12:07:23 PM
Itchy and Ross I take it you will not go outside until a vaccine is found?
Can you guarantee you will not catch Covid 19 when you step outside?

I have to go outside and when I do I avoid close contact with people. I spend a lot of time in my garden. Doing that I am 99% safe. Running around on a pitch, smashing into people makes me a lot less than 99% safe and I dont need to do it either. I find it very difficult to understand how you cant grasp the difference.

Itchy

Quote from: Itchy on May 07, 2020, 11:13:17 AM

I wouldnt say that, its a waiting game. I dont think we will be up and running again this year. But I am confident science will overcome this eventually.

JoG2

Quote from: five points on May 07, 2020, 01:33:18 PM

It wasn't me who asserted that GAA sports can't restart until a number of major hurdles are crossed.

fair enough, but the bit in bold is still a bit on the heavy side !

five points

Quote from: JoG2 on May 07, 2020, 01:37:56 PM
Quote from: five points on May 07, 2020, 01:33:18 PM

fair enough, but the bit in bold is still a bit on the heavy side !

It is prefaced by an "if". And if we have to shut down til 2024, it won't be the same as it is now.