GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Fivepoints, rather that all that quote crap. What should we do? Simple enought question
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Square Ball

Do we have breaks for hand washing? People wash after every tackle, carry of the ball? Hard one to work? Do asymptomatic have a temperature? I don't know. I still believe we will get a vaccine. All this will be irrelevant of the health people say it can't happen
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

five points

Quote from: Square Ball on May 05, 2020, 04:53:43 PM
Fivepoints, rather that all that quote crap. What should we do? Simple enought question

1. Wait for the crisis phase of Covid-19 to pass.
2. Then play games with appropriate safeguards such as the ones Smurfy listed.
3. Be prepared to abandon all plans if a second wave of the virus appears.
4. Repeat the steps 1-3 until it's finally over.

Not ideal but a hell of a lot better than the alternative of waiting for something that might never come or might never be effective.

Smurfy123

Patrick Valance throwing the British government under the bus
More testing should have happened earlier but for one reason or another it didn't
That's the start of it
Under the bus

armaghniac

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 04, 2020, 01:03:05 PM
Enjoy the break - Do the things you never get to do because of sports commitments.

Many of these are presently illegal or impossible.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rudi

I don't even think of games getting back this year. I have already written it all off in my head! I never listen to sport news reports and their constant whining for a return. As an underage coach I see this as downtime and time to re-charge. I have learned that I and many of my compatriots have lost the run of ourselves with Sport. Sport is all about participation rather than the elite and hopefully that is what it returns to after this.

Enjoy the break - Do the things you never get to do because of sports commitments.

Would have a similar opinion to yourself, I enjoyed my 8 years of coaching,  however I'm enjoying the break even more. More to life than multiple calls to organise fixtures, pitch time, refs, players etc. If I was told the whole thing was cranking up again next week, wouldn't fancy going back.

marty34

Quote from: Rudi on May 05, 2020, 10:35:06 PM
I don't even think of games getting back this year. I have already written it all off in my head! I never listen to sport news reports and their constant whining for a return. As an underage coach I see this as downtime and time to re-charge. I have learned that I and many of my compatriots have lost the run of ourselves with Sport. Sport is all about participation rather than the elite and hopefully that is what it returns to after this.

Would have a similar opinion to yourself, I enjoyed my 8 years of coaching,  however I'm enjoying the break even more. More to life than multiple calls to organise fixtures, pitch time, refs, players etc. If I was told the whole thing was cranking up again next week, wouldn't fancy going back.

I agree.

Give it up for 2020 and start afresh in 2021.

All this waffle..how can you train without social distancing...how can players travel to matches, we'll have 2 championships in 2021 etc. etc. etc.

Waffle.

Give it up for 2020 and enjoy a bit of free time to do different things.

Time for the GAA hierachy to say STOP - the GAA season is finished.  Put an end to the rumours and heresay.  Show some leadership and end it for 2020 and give us all peace!!

Smurfy123

Why would you stop it Marty and restart in 2021?
The only difference now and 2021 would be a vaccine which is highly unlikely
Curious as to your thought process
Rudi 2 things
What are you doing now that you could not when coaching?
You should give the coaching up you seem sick of it

Eire90

Gaa should scrap season now seems like they are insistent on having a super 8s  when they could have said we will have an open draw championship with the latest the final can be would be weekend before Christmas it would only take 5 weeks for an open draw  6 if you have a rest week between semi and finals.

Eire90

Games could be spread out between friday saturday and sunday id love to see dublin  v mayo prime time on a friday night first round game

screenexile

Quote from: Eire90 on May 05, 2020, 11:21:12 PM
Games could be spread out between friday saturday and sunday id love to see dublin  v mayo prime time on a friday night first round game

How are lads going to square that away with working??

screenexile

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on May 06, 2020, 03:50:25 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on May 05, 2020, 11:21:12 PM

How are lads going to square that away with working??

He's just saying he'd love it, the reality is totally different (shakes head)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cluborcountywhynotboth

How many of the guys on here saying 'just wipe out the season' are current players?? Seems to me (even in the media) it is the older volunteers or administrators who are expunging this. As a current club player I'd be 100% interested in playing as long as reasonable precautions are taken. As others have said on here there is no guarantees that a vaccine will ever be found, if we have the mantra of 'vaccine or nothing' then we could have no clubs or county boards to go back too and will lose out on a generation of players. You also have to realise that lockdown and social distancing is not to eliminate the virus (this is pretty much impossible without building up immunity or a vaccine) it is to ensure that the health services can deal with any cases that arise, that is why there is a stepped approach. Also remember no players will be forced to play, it's entirely up to them. Finally, I'd just caveat all this by saying I don't think we will see football this year, I think the timeline set out is to give people hope so that they are more compliant to the restrictions on place, and I think we will see a lot of pausing at stages for more than the 3 weeks and even going back stages. However if come July I am told that it is safe to go to stage 4 and start training/playing again, I will be happy to do so, and anyone who isn't is quite within their rights not too.