GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

"The return of team sports will not be recommended by the National Public Health Emergency Team before a vaccine for the coronavirus or anti-viral medicine is discovered."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/cillian-de-gascun-team-sports-are-going-to-be-in-a-very-difficult-position-1.4243847?mode=amp

There is so much contradiction in reports day to day .

Someone said there were 500k gaa players , now I'll ask again how can you say it's ok to park social distancing for these guys and girls for a few hours every week but anyone else will be arrested ?

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

seafoid

Quote from: larryin89 on May 04, 2020, 12:49:25 PM
"The return of team sports will not be recommended by the National Public Health Emergency Team before a vaccine for the coronavirus or anti-viral medicine is discovered."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/cillian-de-gascun-team-sports-are-going-to-be-in-a-very-difficult-position-1.4243847?mode=amp

There is so much contradiction in reports day to day .

Someone said there were 500k gaa players , now I'll ask again how can you say it's ok to park social distancing for these guys and girls for a few hours every week but anyone else will be arrested ?

The virus can leave people with damaged organs. Even if someone survives they could die of the flu next Christmas.  It isn't worth it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

I don't even think of games getting back this year. I have already written it all off in my head! I never listen to sport news reports and their constant whining for a return. As an underage coach I see this as downtime and time to re-charge. I have learned that I and many of my compatriots have lost the run of ourselves with Sport. Sport is all about participation rather than the elite and hopefully that is what it returns to after this.

Enjoy the break - Do the things you never get to do because of sports commitments.

joemamas

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 04, 2020, 01:03:05 PM
I don't even think of games getting back this year. I have already written it all off in my head! I never listen to sport news reports and their constant whining for a return. As an underage coach I see this as downtime and time to re-charge. I have learned that I and many of my compatriots have lost the run of ourselves with Sport. Sport is all about participation rather than the elite and hopefully that is what it returns to after this.

Enjoy the break - Do the things you never get to do because of sports commitments.

Unfortunately, an accurate and very realistic comment.
I also have pretty much given up on it, have also stopped reading the shite articles that are being produced by a host of former footballers on various media outlets, it is apparently all about the clicks and advertising revenue associated with same. IMO I truly wish the same media outlets would just say lads, no more articles or polls for the time being, we will reassess where we stand in August.

magpie seanie

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 04, 2020, 01:03:05 PM

Well said. Couldn't have put it better myself. The sooner we knock 2020 on the head the better.....pure fantasyland to think contact team sports could be viable this year.

Square Ball

I think most people were ready to forget about this season until Leo came out with his road map. Gave people hope, may have been false hope, I do believe that we can't play without a vaccine, way too risky.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

five points

Quote from: Square Ball on May 05, 2020, 02:44:15 PM
I think most people were ready to forget about this season until Leo came out with his road map. Gave people hope, may have been false hope, I do believe that we can't play without a vaccine, way too risky.

If that's the case, we might never play again, at least this decade. The 1957/58 Asian flu pandemic went away after a vaccine was circulated only to mutate and return eleven years later in 1968 to kill another million people worldwide. Normal life did not grind to a halt either time.

Square Ball

Quote from: five points on May 05, 2020, 02:55:01 PM

If that's the case, we might never play again, at least this decade. The 1957/58 Asian flu pandemic went away after a vaccine was circulated only to mutate and return eleven years later in 1968 to kill another million people worldwide. Normal life did not grind to a halt either time.
how can you compare them to now, so are saying we do nothing, no social distancing, bring everyone back to work, risk lives?

five points

Quote from: Square Ball on May 05, 2020, 03:11:30 PM

how can you compare them to now, so are saying we do nothing, no social distancing, bring everyone back to work, risk lives?

You're saying we should ignore the lessons of the last global pandemic while dealing with this one? Wow.

If you're waiting for a vaccine that eliminates all risk, you'll be waiting forever.

Smurfy123

What would you suggest we do square ball if a vaccine is never found?

Square Ball

Quote from: five points on May 05, 2020, 03:18:24 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on May 05, 2020, 03:11:30 PM

You're saying we should ignore the lessons of the last global pandemic while dealing with this one? Wow.

If you're waiting for a vaccine that eliminates all risk, you'll be waiting forever.

Where did I say we should ignore the lessons of the past? I certainly don't know enough to compare the different strains of the virus, how virulent they were, I don't know what they did and diddnt do then. Science has moved on, I am sure that others have learned, was one of the lessons we were locked down and thousand and thousands of lives were saved?
So what should we have done?

Smurfy123.
If no vaccine is found then it will have to be risk based and to do with the R number and be up to individuals to say If they want to play or not. But at this point in time a vaccine is the way forward. I do believe that one will be found.

Smurfy123

But you have no idea in the slightest if a Vaccine may be found or not?
Nobody knows
Why not look at the r number now and also ask the players if they want to play?
Saying no play without a vaccine is lazy work

five points

Quote from: Square Ball on May 05, 2020, 03:53:37 PM

Where did I say we should ignore the lessons of the past?
Where you said "how can you compare them to now"

So what should we have done?

We're not discussing what should have been done, but what should be done now.

If no vaccine is found then it will have to be risk based and to do with the R number and be up to individuals to say If they want to play or not. But at this point in time a vaccine is the way forward. I do believe that one will be found.
You're forgetting that the October 1957 vaccine only worked for 11 years.

Square Ball

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 05, 2020, 04:09:09 PM
But you have no idea in the slightest if a Vaccine may be found or not?
Nobody knows
Why not look at the r number now and also ask the players if they want to play?
Saying no play without a vaccine is lazy work
I do indeed believe a vaccine will be found. The R number isn't low enought at the minute, It's sitting around 0.6-0.7, each easement of the lockdown could cause this to increase so we have to wait until each phase is reached to consider if it low enough. it's not lazy work, I looked at different facts, it's my opinion and that's what I believe. Whether or not people agree with it so be it. So what's your opinion on it.

Smurfy123

But you said you don't think we can play without a vaccine? So what if a vaccine is never got for this virus? Now you do say you believe we will get a vaccine but we can't be sure so what do you suggest that we do if no vaccine is found?
I suggest we move on with things but with extra measures in place that we had not got before.

Handwashing zones at all pitches
Temperatures taking before entering the pitches
Come changed and ready to play(all levels, no ideal but has to be done)

Either something like that or like you say no more sport until a vaccine is found which could be 5-10-15 years or never