GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Can it work legally?

Let's play out a scenario, Dublin v Meath behind closed doors , live TV game . Match is full of scuffles , mentors , subs etc involved in a big ding dong .

The whole country sees it as we've been deprived of sport for months .  tommo the hill16 regular has a load of his mates round , Garda are called later that night to tommos house cause of noise complaints. Garda arrive and say lads , ye are breaking the law here for a start there is about thirty of you in a house , social distancing is impossible in this situation, I will have to arrest you unless ye  go home .

Tommo says you'll have to arrest all the Dublin and Meath players too then . No social distancing there today and I have it recorded for ye as video eveidence if you need it .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Milltown Row2

Quote from: larryin89 on May 02, 2020, 03:15:37 PM
Can it work legally?

Let's play out a scenario, Dublin v Meath behind closed doors , live TV game . Match is full of scuffles , mentors , subs etc involved in a big ding dong .

The whole country sees it as we've been deprived of sport for months .  tommo the hill16 regular has a load of his mates round , Garda are called later that night to tommos house cause of noise complaints. Garda arrive and say lads , ye are breaking the law here for a start there is about thirty of you in a house , social distancing is impossible in this situation, I will have to arrest you unless ye  go home .

Tommo says you'll have to arrest all the Dublin and Meath players too then . No social distancing there today and I have it recorded for ye as video eveidence if you need it .

Meath wouldn't get close to Dublin the judge would say
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

No real official clarification from the GAA yet but I suppose it's a target.

From my own point of view as an underage coach there's every chance football resumes at the end of July but parents won't let 10 lads back because they don't believe it's safe yet so where does that leave teams?

A lot of work to do before this is sorted!

Cunny Funt

Under normal circumstances the 2020 GAA football championship would be commencing in Ruislip right now.

Rossfan

Wed be about 8 points to 2 up at this stage ;D without playing particularly well.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

Quote from: hardstation on May 01, 2020, 10:25:14 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 01, 2020, 10:24:07 PM
I'm losing my mind over this , I wish someone would answer , how can you social distance and play a game of football ffs
Have you ever seen Antrim's backs?

;D

LCohen

Quote from: Square Ball on May 01, 2020, 10:37:20 PM
Agree L89, said it a few times. But heres one.

so say it's allowed in the 26 but not in the 6, so what does Ulster do? Do the GAA just play in jurisdiction?

This is a good point. Nobody is going to set the UK as an example to follow but it's been on a different course that RoI since it's initial delay. The numbers are still way to high in UK including NI. Whatever relaxations are announced in UK/NI need to reflect this. Subsequent decisions  around the acceleration, deferral or reversal of relaxation phases have to be on that basis. It's going to be exceptionally difficult to organise inter county GAA given these real and potential differences.

Club activity might be slightly different where NI/RoI differences could be accommodated. Same would apply to underage.

larryin89

How many players in total play Gaelic games in the whole country ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Eire90

Should they cancel the championship now and let clubs take centre stage in the autumn,Seems like gaa are insistent of not changing format to a knock out that can be done in 5 or 6 weeks seems like they are scared of an open draw knockout.

screenexile

Quote from: Eire90 on May 04, 2020, 06:07:55 AM
Should they cancel the championship now and let clubs take centre stage in the autumn,Seems like gaa are insistent of not changing format to a knock out that can be done in 5 or 6 weeks seems like they are scared of an open draw knockout.

What if straight knockout is a success and public opinion goes in that direction??

Losing all that revenue from qualifiers and Super 8s wouldn't sit well with the suits!

Smokin Joe

I was wondering when we were going to see the detail of the proposed plan (following the news from govt last week).

From reading the guidance, even if we don't get any setbacks as we move through the relaxation phases, I still wasn't really any the wiser when club teams could expect to be back doing "normal" training.  And presumably games couldn't start until approx 4 weeks after clubs begin training again.

Rossfan

How will a game work with social distancing?
Will coming closer than 2m be a yellow, black or red card offence?
Will players have to wear masks or visors?

smelmoth

Quote from: Rossfan on May 04, 2020, 10:47:47 AM
How will a game work with social distancing?
Will coming closer than 2m be a yellow, black or red card offence?
Will players have to wear masks or visors?

Something like that. Anybody receiving the ball from a hand pass will have 5 seconds to wipe the ball and players going down needing attention will be dispatched by a Garda marksman. Local militias will undertake this role in the north.