GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

Quote from: larryin89 on May 01, 2020, 05:51:42 PM
Unless there is a vaccine or a cure there will never be a return to GAA . It's an amateur sport , you can't have social distancing applied to society and then let all hell loose on a Sunday for thousands of players who have to return to society after the game , some of these players are teachers ffs. 

It's over for the foreseeable , lock up the pitches , put away the o neills.

Your first line is simply not true. As has been outlined this evening.

I also stand by my other point that comparing the Olympics to the GAA is not the same.

larryin89

I'm losing my mind over this , I wish someone would answer , how can you social distance and play a game of football ffs
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

larryin89

Quote from: supersub on May 01, 2020, 09:56:53 PM
Unless there is a vaccine or a cure there will never be a return to GAA . It's an amateur sport , you can't have social distancing applied to society and then let all hell loose on a Sunday for thousands of players who have to return to society after the game , some of these players are teachers ffs. 

I also stand by my other point that comparing the Olympics to the GAA is not the same.

But my point has been the same all along, if social distancing is a rule , how can you play Gaelic football .

"From 20 July, the government says GAA and soccer teams will be allowed resume activities, but only where limitations are placed on the numbers of spectators and where social distancing can be maintained"

This is a contradiction surely

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Square Ball

Agree L89, said it a few times. But heres one.

so say it's allowed in the 26 but not in the 6, so what does Ulster do? Do the GAA just play in jurisdiction?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Captain Obvious

Leo Varadkar said tonight there is a 'possibility' of an All-Ireland championship played behind closed doors this year, saying this would be a matter for the GAA. Hmm..

Downtothewire

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 01, 2020, 10:37:41 PM
Leo Varadkar said tonight there is a 'possibility' of an All-Ireland championship played behind closed doors this year, saying this would be a matter for the GAA. Hmm..

It's a wonder he knew what the GAA was!!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Downtothewire on May 01, 2020, 10:58:06 PM

He thinks or was told the GAA is a partial contact sport.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 01, 2020, 11:32:48 PM
Quote from: Downtothewire on May 01, 2020, 10:58:06 PM

He thinks or was told the GAA is a partial contact sport.
How could any Dublin FG politician tell the GAA there would be no AIFs. He'd be crucified   

imtommygunn

Quote from: larryin89 on May 01, 2020, 10:30:04 PM

But my point has been the same all along, if social distancing is a rule , how can you play Gaelic football .

"From 20 July, the government says GAA and soccer teams will be allowed resume activities, but only where limitations are placed on the numbers of spectators and where social distancing can be maintained"

I would be in full agreement here. So everyone in society social distances except when you are on a pitch? Where is a) the sense or b) the fairness in this.(to the players)

Are they meant to self isolate after?

Angelo

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 02, 2020, 07:44:02 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 01, 2020, 10:30:04 PM

I would be in full agreement here. So everyone in society social distances except when you are on a pitch? Where is a) the sense or b) the fairness in this.(to the players)

Are they meant to self isolate after?

It's not black and white. It will be impossible to social distance in certain scenarios, you look at the way we've lived our lives up until now.

We are in the grips of the pandemic, there will be peaks and valleys with it. At the minute the measures are in place to stop hospitals being overwhelmed by it, when the virus is suppressed to certain degrees, restrictions will gradually be lifted and probably brought back in again if it starts to spread again. Science is having a nightmare with this, they still don't really know a lot about it with regards immunity, vaccines, successful treatments, anitbodies etc. so its all speculation.

We don't know a lot about it but the measures are not there to prevent people getting sick or dying, that's inevitable and it will happen - it's to contain its spread so that hospitals can cope with the level of infections. We all saw the graphs months back about how this virus could nearly have been at an end in the next few months if nothing was done but that would have led to huge losses of life and the health service being ran into the ground.

I'd imagine the club season will go ahead at some point this season barring a second wave. There will have to be some sort of return to normality, spectator sports is a different thing as having the likes of 50k in confined spaces is a no go until you really topple this virus but as far as people going back and playing team sports, it's going to happen - you will see it across Europe in the coming months. Apart from association football though, it's hard to see how other pro sports will survive financially without spectators present.

Can the likes of a tennis slam be viable behind closed doors? I really don't think so. Pro rugby is hugely reliant on spectators as it's a niche sport with little global appeal and does not have the huge financial revenue association football gets globally from broadcasting rights.

But amateur team sports and contact sports will return in some guise this year I'd say as long as the virus is being managed. The people are going to demand some of their liberties as long as the virus is not overwhelming them.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

imtommygunn

I don't doubt sport will come back but it is not consistent application of standards for a player to social distance in all of his life then drop out of it for the duration of a match on the pitch and then go back to it.

Yes anything being done is about containment I agree it just seems a bit inconsistent that is all. Not necessarily about the Gaa but sports in general.

armaghniac

One of the things they wish to avoid is people giving the virus to randomers. If team x play team y and someone proves to have the virus then it is 14 days in isolation for all concerned. If you have pubs etc then you don't know who you met, this is where the apps come in
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Angelo

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 02, 2020, 08:45:36 AM
I don't doubt sport will come back but it is not consistent application of standards for a player to social distance in all of his life then drop out of it for the duration of a match on the pitch and then go back to it.

Yes anything being done is about containment I agree it just seems a bit inconsistent that is all. Not necessarily about the Gaa but sports in general.

But certain things are going to be exempted with regards to people's liberties and wellbeing. They will be done when legislators and medics feel the risk is acceptable and if things go bad again, they'll be restricted again. Living as we are now is merely a stop gap situation where they fear the consequences of the virus. The next few weeks and months will be crucial and there will be a close eye kept on the European countries easing back on the restrictions.

How viable are businesses like cinemas, restaurants, pubs, gyms etc with social distancing in place? The virus is there and is not going to disappear without a vaccine, it's all about managing and controlling its spread and some avenues are going to be eased even if there are some contraventions in best standards so long as risk is minimised.

The days of 50k packed stadiums and arenas for live events ,crowded pubs and restaurants etc won't return until the virus has been dealt with in such a way that hospitals can cope with the numbers.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

If you are back at work after being off for over 6 weeks so far, and more to come, how is it fair for someone to then catch it and be off work again, be sick and lose much needed earnings? Madness
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Smokin Joe

It's worth pointing out that in the UK, and hence in Arlene's 6 counties work can still happen even we it is not possible to socially distance.  They suggest that mitigation measures are needed, such as working back to back or wearing PPE which I accept can't be done on a pitch. But just want to state that social distancing is not a definite requirement, even today, in the UK.