GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Quote from: Zulu on April 30, 2020, 03:43:25 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 30, 2020, 03:02:29 PM
I understand the differences. They're both f**ked is my point. For the foreseeable future it doesn't matter if you are coming from half a mile up the road or 10,000 miles across the ocean.

Yes it does. You could be bringing the virus in from countries far less successful at containing it and/or bringing it back into countries that had it well contained after the Olympics. The Olympics carries a risk of spreading the virus worldwide again, the championship does not.

If the championship is not possible in some capacity, limit crowd size, not allow over 65's (or some age restriction) or people with underlining conditions (that would be self-regulated), use only certain grounds, like Thurles, Clones, Croke Park etc. where people could only sit in designated seats etc. by 2021 then what can we allow back? How are schools and universities any less risky? What about businesses? Governments can't afford to pay hundreds of thousands of people to not work indefinitely.

I think we'll be back playing sport before the end of this year just not with the same structure as previously.
So it's OK to socially distance supporters but  not the players?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

imtommygunn

Yeah that is a thing that stands out to me. I don't know how they're getting away with it in any sport in any country to be honest.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 30, 2020, 04:50:50 PM
Yeah that is a thing that stands out to me. I don't know how they're getting away with it in any sport in any country to be honest.

Some individual sports, e.g. javelin throwing, perhaps golf, or things like horse racing might be possible. But not team contact sports.
However, in New Zealand they'll eliminate the virus and the All Blacks will be even better after an additional years training.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zulu

Quote from: Square Ball on April 30, 2020, 04:18:11 PM
Quote from: Zulu on April 30, 2020, 03:43:25 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 30, 2020, 03:02:29 PM
I understand the differences. They're both f**ked is my point. For the foreseeable future it doesn't matter if you are coming from half a mile up the road or 10,000 miles across the ocean.

Yes it does. You could be bringing the virus in from countries far less successful at containing it and/or bringing it back into countries that had it well contained after the Olympics. The Olympics carries a risk of spreading the virus worldwide again, the championship does not.

If the championship is not possible in some capacity, limit crowd size, not allow over 65's (or some age restriction) or people with underlining conditions (that would be self-regulated), use only certain grounds, like Thurles, Clones, Croke Park etc. where people could only sit in designated seats etc. by 2021 then what can we allow back? How are schools and universities any less risky? What about businesses? Governments can't afford to pay hundreds of thousands of people to not work indefinitely.

I think we'll be back playing sport before the end of this year just not with the same structure as previously.
So it's OK to socially distance supporters but  not the players?

The point I'm making though is if schools and universities are back and not completely online, if a number of businesses are back open like construction, shops, smaller coffee shops and restaurants are open by September/October how would a modified championship be a significantly greater risk of spreading the virus? If the above isn't happening by September/October how do people survive anyway? I just think at some point society will have to balance the risk of the virus with the risk of keeping society totally shut down.

Sport may not be economically essential but it is essential to a functioning society.

MayoBuck

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 30, 2020, 11:47:28 AM
Quote from: supersub on April 30, 2020, 11:33:26 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 28, 2020, 04:27:26 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 28, 2020, 04:02:13 PM
Pete McGrath basically saying write the year off and work towards getting everything possible in place for next year. . . if the Olympics are doing it on the scale they have then why should a vastly smaller organisation be taking a bigger risk?

I'd love football and hurling to be back but there's a fair chance that the infection will spread again if we do. It's tough but probably the best option!

The Olympics today are saying that next year might not be possible either and that they would just have to cancel.

The Olympics involves 1000s of Athletes and 100,000s spectators travelling from all over the world.

The GAA is confined largely within one country. Different animal.

Gaa is only Amatuer. Professional Leagues like the Dutch and French have cancelled their season, with more likely to follow like Seria A.

I saw a guideline for how they plan to play Bundesliga behind closeds doors, and it wouldn't be possible in GAA.

I was reading about the premier league's plans to return. They reckon to test all players/staff involved twice a week until the season is finished would cost £2 million. I hadn't thought about the cost of testing but that immediately makes it unviable in the GAA.

five points

Quote from: Zulu on April 30, 2020, 07:13:21 PM
The point I'm making though is if schools and universities are back and not completely online, if a number of businesses are back open like construction, shops, smaller coffee shops and restaurants are open by September/October how would a modified championship be a significantly greater risk of spreading the virus? If the above isn't happening by September/October how do people survive anyway? I just think at some point society will have to balance the risk of the virus with the risk of keeping society totally shut down.

Sport may not be economically essential but it is essential to a functioning society.

Agree 100%. If we don't adapt as a society to the virus, it will destroy us anyway as all the cocooning and social distancing will inevitably lower our natural defences.

larryin89

Unless there is a vaccine or a cure there will never be a return to GAA . It's an amateur sport , you can't have social distancing applied to society and then let all hell loose on a Sunday for thousands of players who have to return to society after the game , some of these players are teachers ffs. 

It's over for the foreseeable , lock up the pitches , put away the o neills.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

armaghniac

Quote from: larryin89 on May 01, 2020, 05:51:42 PM
Unless there is a vaccine or a cure there will never be a return to GAA . It's an amateur sport , you can't have social distancing applied to society and then let all hell loose on a Sunday for thousands of players who have to return to society after the game , some of these players are teachers ffs. 

we can have some free taking competitions.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile

Quote from: larryin89 on May 01, 2020, 05:51:42 PM

Government have said GAA can return from July 20th... I'm presuming for Clubs.

Will be interesting to see if the GAA go with that as well although I'd imagine they've been consulted!

Goals_Will_Come

Behind-closed-doors sports listed to resume in Phase 3 (June 29), but only where participants can resume social distancing

Team sports like Soccer and GAA projected to resume under Phase 4 (July 20), subject to limits on attendance and social distancing

Taylor

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on May 01, 2020, 08:06:24 PM
Behind-closed-doors sports listed to resume in Phase 3 (June 29), but only where participants can resume social distancing

Team sports like Soccer and GAA projected to resume under Phase 4 (July 20), subject to limits on attendance and social distancing

This might be a stupid question but how can you follow the limit on social distancing in training or games?

screenexile

Quote from: Taylor on May 01, 2020, 08:11:01 PM

This might be a stupid question but how can you follow the limit on social distancing in training or games?

Also what about transport to games for underage etc??

Lots to still work out!!

imtommygunn

The key thing here though is the game and the players. It doesn't work if you have social distancing.

All other logistics questions are peripheral. You can't have everyone in the world social distancing except sports players on a field or wherever they are playing!

Rossfan

Quote from: Taylor on May 01, 2020, 08:11:01 PM

It'll put an end to blanket defending anyway.
Will the outfield pitch have 28 squares with only 1 player allowed in each?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM