GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Red

We talking a couple of months, possibly in the summer before club activity starts up again? Just asking because I haven't been doing the runs at the moment so need would need to get caught up before training starts again  ::)

larryin89

Will there be social distancing till they have a vaccine or a cure ?

If yes

What happens if they never discover either ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

five points

Quote from: larryin89 on April 27, 2020, 05:27:11 PM

If yes

Liquidator.

larryin89

Quote from: five points on April 27, 2020, 05:32:07 PM

If yes

Liquidator.

My point is they cannot lift social distancing for a long long time possibly three years or more , perhaps life will never be the same again . It's way more serious than most of us think I'm guessing now .

five points

Quote from: larryin89 on April 27, 2020, 05:46:56 PM

If yes

Liquidator.

My point is they cannot lift social distancing for a long long time possibly three years or more , perhaps life will never be the same again . It's way more serious than most of us think I'm guessing now .

I agree 100% and my single word reply to you was not in jest. We are much nearer the edge of a precipice than we think. If the hysteria doesn't abate soon, then literally anything is possible.

omaghjoe

Quote from: five points on April 27, 2020, 05:56:37 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on April 27, 2020, 05:46:56 PM

If yes

Liquidator.

I agree 100% and my single word reply to you was not in jest. We are much nearer the edge of a precipice than we think. If the hysteria doesn't abate soon, then literally anything is possible.

IF they never discover either we will have to rely on herd immunity, so the epidemic will have to run its "natural" (albeit with a much slower infection rate due to the mitigation) course. Once 60%+ (could be more depending on who you listen to) of the populace have been infected the virus can no longer spread in the community

five points

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 27, 2020, 06:00:20 PM
IF they never discover either we will have to rely on herd immunity, so the epidemic will have to run its "natural" (albeit with a much slower infection rate due to the mitigation) course. Once 60%+ (could be more depending on who you listen to) of the populace have been infected the virus can no longer spread in the community

If we persist indefinitely with social distancing, it will take years to achieve herd immunity. And in the meantime a new strain or some other disease could come along.

What happens a club or county board that defaults on its bank repayments for 2 or 3 years? Asking for a friend.

seafoid

Quote from: five points on April 27, 2020, 06:04:43 PM

If we persist indefinitely with social distancing, it will take years to achieve herd immunity. And in the meantime a new strain or some other disease could come along.

What happens a club or county board that defaults on its bank repayments for 2 or 3 years? Asking for a friend.
A vaccine might be developed before your scenario becomes real
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

larryin89

Quote from: seafoid on April 28, 2020, 01:22:33 PM
Quote from: five points on April 27, 2020, 06:04:43 PM

A vaccine might be developed before your scenario becomes real

But this is the point of the discussion what if there is never a vaccine which is likely imo listening to the change in tone of various scientists the last 72 hrs , the change in tone has been very evident , a lot less confident than they were in the weeks previous.

Rossfan

We'll all be rooned says Larryin
Before the year is out.
Doooooom and glooooom.
I see Horan talking about having the 2020 and 2021 Champiinships next year.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Quote from: Rossfan on April 28, 2020, 02:26:10 PM
We'll all be rooned says Larryin
Before the year is out.
Doooooom and glooooom.

I'm just trying to work out is it possible to get back to the way things were next year in the absence of a vaccine or cure . 

five points

Quote from: Rossfan on April 28, 2020, 02:26:10 PM
Before all this they didn't even have enough time to play the McKenna Cup and the Championship in a single year, let alone two separate Championships.

larryin89

Might never be another game of Gaelic football played for years . Remember larryin told ye first .

screenexile

Pete McGrath basically saying write the year off and work towards getting everything possible in place for next year. . . if the Olympics are doing it on the scale they have then why should a vastly smaller organisation be taking a bigger risk?

I'd love football and hurling to be back but there's a fair chance that the infection will spread again if we do. It's tough but probably the best option!

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: screenexile on April 28, 2020, 04:02:13 PM
Pete McGrath basically saying write the year off and work towards getting everything possible in place for next year. . . if the Olympics are doing it on the scale they have then why should a vastly smaller organisation be taking the same risk?

I'd love football and hurling to be back but there's a fair chance that the infection will spread again if we do. It's tough but probably the best option!

I agree with him.