GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

I find it hard that counties will want to play in anything unless they have ample time to train and prepare which wouldnt make it viable this year

Rossfan

Will any team sports happen while Social distancing is in force??

In the unlikely event of any Inter County Championship happening you can take it the Provincials will be played. What type of AI Championship will follow will depend on the time of year.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rosnarun

Quote from: tiempo on April 16, 2020, 11:17:29 AM
Open draw with the caveat that D1 teams are seeded, so kept apart in equal measure on opposite sides of the draw, but they have to play their first game away, all other games and rounds thereafter at neutral venue.

32 teams, all games played to a result on the day (except for final, replay if necessary), no back door, 5 games to win it, could be played off in 7 weeks, then on to the club scene rattled off in similar fashion across the country.
what is the logic of seeding Div1 teams?with less training than normal done it could even our the field a bit and some real schocks could be in store esp if the Div1 teams cannibalized each other in the early rounds .
cpu;d be the best champion ship in ages .
or if time were to run really tight .
have the Sam Maguire played off in a Div 1 knock out tournament with double headers all in croke park could be played off in a 3 weeks ,  play the hurling in the new Pairc í chaoimh
each Division have its own Competition Div1 and 4 played as a double header and 2 and 3 played together
pmouth watering stuff look from now
eg
week 1
Dublin V Meath
Donegal v Mayo
tyrone v kerry
Galway v monaghan

week 2
Dublin v Mayo
kerry V Galway

WEEK 3
mAYO  v Galway fINAL

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

Captain Obvious

Quote from: rosnarun on April 16, 2020, 04:05:20 PM
Open draw with the caveat that D1 teams are seeded, so kept apart in equal measure on opposite sides of the draw, but they have to play their first game away, all other games and rounds thereafter at neutral venue.

32 teams, all games played to a result on the day (except for final, replay if necessary), no back door, 5 games to win it, could be played off in 7 weeks, then on to the club scene rattled off in similar fashion across the country.
what is the logic of seeding Div1 teams?with less training than normal done it could even our the field a bit and some real schocks could be in store esp if the Div1 teams cannibalized each other in the early rounds .
cpu;d be the best champion ship in ages .
or if time were to run really tight .
have the Sam Maguire played off in a Div 1 knock out tournament with double headers all in croke park could be played off in a 3 weeks ,  play the hurling in the new Pairc í chaoimh
each Division have its own Competition Div1 and 4 played as a double header and 2 and 3 played together
pmouth watering stuff look from now
eg
week 1
Dublin V Meath
Donegal v Mayo
tyrone v kerry
Galway v monaghan

week 2
Dublin v Mayo
kerry V Galway

WEEK 3
mAYO  v Galway fINAL

Be grand for Mayo to play in a division 1 championship tournament when it looked like they were join Meath in division 2.

Cluborcountywhynotboth

In my opinion it's very unlikely we will see any football this year but if we do, it will be club football as it's likely anything with the attendances you would get at an inter county championship game will not be allowed till next year.

ballinaman

Quote from: Taylor on April 16, 2020, 11:53:58 AM
I find it hard that counties will want to play in anything unless they have ample time to train and prepare which wouldnt make it viable this year
Absolutely , you're talking at least 4-6 weeks of collective training for it to be even an option ...especially if games are played off quickly , players won't have the capacity to play and recover.

As mentioned earlier , social distancing is not viable in a dressing room...all it takes is for one player, management , medic etc to test positive and whole group have to isolate for 14 days....you can't have that and hope to play games on a regular basis.

Better is GAA stopped with the kite flying and forget about games for the foreseeable .

marty34

Quote from: ballinaman on April 18, 2020, 07:22:03 AM
Absolutely , you're talking at least 4-6 weeks of collective training for it to be even an option ...especially if games are played off quickly , players won't have the capacity to play and recover.

As mentioned earlier , social distancing is not viable in a dressing room...all it takes is for one player, management , medic etc to test positive and whole group have to isolate for 14 days....you can't have that and hope to play games on a regular basis.

Better is GAA stopped with the kite flying and forget about games for the foreseeable .

I agree.

Best thing for GAA - club and county to do is say no games/action at all this year.  Start afresh in 2021.

That way is the only way to have certainty about it.

Angelo

Yeah, the intercounty season is not viable without crowds and that and I don't think you can play a season when the threat still looms as you said as when on person picks it up it could conceivably infect a whole squad and potentially an opposition team.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Square Ball

Games should resume behind closed doors - Derry boss Gallagher - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gaelic-games/52325394

Tally says, "The priority first though has got to be people being safe."

Paddy Tally agrees that the games can only return when it is right from a public health perspective

So when will it be safe? July, August? Just takes one player to have it and pass it. Then what happens when one player shows symptoms and they have all been in a dressing room together? Do the entire squad isolate? Any risk no games, it's as simple as that.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

the goal was on

So the whole island will have to stick to social distancing/restrictions but sports team and players will be allowed to crack on. Not sure this can happen as it would promote a mixed message and many would see it as a signal sure why cant we all just get on with it! Hope I'm wrong but i just see too many pitfalls. 1 player contracts and then an outbreak develops and one person gets seriously ill. Golf/tennis/snooker will be sports that may be a lot easier to get going but contact games a lot more difficult.

BennyCake

Quote from: marty34 on April 18, 2020, 08:57:18 AM

I agree.

Best thing for GAA - club and county to do is say no games/action at all this year.  Start afresh in 2021.

That way is the only way to have certainty about it.

Yeah I agree with both of you.

No point crowds being banned from games but players are put in danger. Doesn't make sense.

The AI championships won't be played this year. Let's forget about it and aim to go again for the McKenna/NFL in January. At this stage, that's a more realistic target.

pbat

They should move all age levels up a year in 2021 so lads get the opportunity to play there last year of minor etc.  I would if possible try and get the Mc Crory cup final played as that's a once in a lifetime for the two teams. I am not sure if the schools finals has been played in other provinces.

Scrap the league finals and if the opportunity is there in Nov/Dec play the last 2 rounds of league games off so 2021 starts with correct leagues.

seafoid

The govt won't allow mass gatherings during the summer

Why not run the 2020 football championship as sudden death for divisions 3 and 4 next spring?

Then repeat once every decade.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

You're well named Seafóidín  ::)