GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

So basically all pubs cafes leisure centres should all be closed until a vaccine is found? 2 years at least?
Will any places survive that long.

Square Ball

Reports saying a team from Italy and Oxford may have a vaccine ready for mass production by September. Fingers crossed it passes the tests and can be produced in the millions worldwide.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

yellowcard

Quote from: five points on April 15, 2020, 11:31:01 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 15, 2020, 11:26:13 AM
As far as the county game is concerned I really don't see it resuming until a vaccination is available unless they play games behind closed doors and I don't see how that would work for an organisation like the GAA.     

Waiting for a safe tested and effective vaccine to become universally available will be like waiting for Godot. Will the GAA survive as we know it if it ends up being mothballed for 2 or 3 years? I have my doubts.

The GAA will survive this and will eventually come out of this enhanced for the way in which they dealt with the crisis. A lot of great community work is taking place due to the organised nature of the GAA at local levels. Also I don't believe it will take 2/3 years to produce a vaccine but it may not happen in 2020.

five points

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 15, 2020, 11:42:55 AM
So basically all pubs cafes leisure centres should all be closed until a vaccine is found? 2 years at least?

No.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: five points on April 15, 2020, 12:05:31 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 15, 2020, 11:42:55 AM

No.

In real terms, this won't happen lads. It cannot be allowed to happen. If the restrictions are being (gradually) lifted in Wuhan and Italy.....safe to say, Ireland (which looks to have escaped the worst of europe by virtue of island status and relatively effective lockdown) will not be long until things begin to return to what we know is normal.

That's not sticking the head in the sand, but it's also not thinking this is a 2/3 year thing. You have to be optimistic. We do not face the same issues as other countries as we only have arguably two "cities" on the whole island.

Smurfy123

A vaccine will not be ready until 2022. Needs to be right to get the go ahead and it will not be ready by September although yes I have heard that too.
Schools also will not be back until a vaccine is here.
If we stop all the aftermath of this will be a lot worse than the virus.

five points

clarshack

No chance we're doing this for another 2 years.

larryin89

Not a hope of keeping this up for another two months never mind two years . It's not possible .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

seafoid

https://mobile.twitter.com/D9BMayo/status/1249034317067628550

David Brady

@D9BMayo

Had such a lovely conversation today with GAA Tom who was out hearing Heifers..He's self isolating ,originally from Swinford now living in Wicklow..If you have a Mayo GAA mad mother ,father or heifer DM me info & I will call them for the chat over the next 3 weeks #GoodToTalkGAA

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on April 15, 2020, 01:55:37 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/D9BMayo/status/1249034317067628550

David Brady

@D9BMayo

Had such a lovely conversation today with GAA Tom who was out hearing Heifers..He's self isolating ,originally from Swinford now living in Wicklow..If you have a Mayo GAA mad mother ,father or heifer DM me info & I will call them for the chat over the next 3 weeks #GoodToTalkGAA

Fair play to him.

Eire90

Id love to see an open draw championship i think it be great for the country but i think we then get too many moaners provincial councils will moan then if some team like Tyrone or Galway gets knockout first round they be like oh we only got one game and the gaa are too scared  of  the chance of Dublin v Kerry first round.If Dublin played Kerry in the first or 2nd round in Kerry could you imagine the hyped and buzz.

imtommygunn

dublin v kerry in kerry. Now that would be something.

Tyrone v Dublin in Omagh.

(Basically any "contender" getting Dublin in their own back yard would be great for the game IMO.

tiempo

Open draw with the caveat that D1 teams are seeded, so kept apart in equal measure on opposite sides of the draw, but they have to play their first game away, all other games and rounds thereafter at neutral venue.

32 teams, all games played to a result on the day (except for final, replay if necessary), no back door, 5 games to win it, could be played off in 7 weeks, then on to the club scene rattled off in similar fashion across the country.

marty34

Quote from: tiempo on April 16, 2020, 11:17:29 AM
Open draw with the caveat that D1 teams are seeded, so kept apart in equal measure on opposite sides of the draw, but they have to play their first game away, all other games and rounds thereafter at neutral venue.

32 teams, all games played to a result on the day (except for final, replay if necessary), no back door, 5 games to win it, could be played off in 7 weeks, then on to the club scene rattled off in similar fashion across the country.

Not an open draw though - that's a fixed draw.

Put all 32 teams in 'hat' and draw them out.  First team out gets home venue.