GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I'm sure Tom Ryan would change it for you if you give him a call ;D
It might well be this year anyway if it happens at all.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Eire90 on March 31, 2020, 05:09:17 AM
are the gaa strict about having the final in august/September  because i wouldnt mind seeing the all Ireland final played at 5pm on a late october or november  saturday evening i think atmosphere be great.

Their stadium, their game, their choice.

Didn't one of the replayed Mayo/Dublin finals a few years ago run into October at that time?

dublin7

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 31, 2020, 11:15:12 AM
are the gaa strict about having the final in august/September  because i wouldnt mind seeing the all Ireland final played at 5pm on a late october or november  saturday evening i think atmosphere be great.

Didn't one of the replayed Mayo/Dublin finals a few years ago run into October at that time?

There was a replay on sat 1st October a few years ago. Worked out well as you had Sat night and all day sunday for the annual celebrations!!

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on March 31, 2020, 01:43:13 PM

There was a replay on sat 1st October a few years ago. Worked out well as you had Sat night and all day sunday for the annual celebrations!!

The good thing about knockout is that it will cut quicker to the chase of Dublin winning another Football All Ireland. The last few years have been a dragged out drag.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 31, 2020, 04:42:32 PM

The good thing about knockout is that it will cut quicker to the chase of Dublin winning another Football All Ireland. The last few years have been a dragged out drag.

Maybe not, new manager. Unprecedented prior events.

It's set up for a 'stolen' All Ireland.

I can bet you now every single manager in the top 6-8 teams will believe it's on.

imtommygunn

I don't know how they would fill croke park again. In september or any time this year would you really want to sit in a relatively confined space with ~80k people or whatever the capacity is?

In fact I think there will be some paranoia around large sporting events for a very long time now.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 31, 2020, 04:50:52 PM

I can bet you now every single manager in the top 6-8 teams will believe it's on.

Down are the best team for coming from nowhere to win Sam, and beat Kerry along the way.
Title number 6 and top-dogs from Ulster to boot.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 31, 2020, 04:53:57 PM
I don't know how they would fill croke park again. In september or any time this year would you really want to sit in a relatively confined space with ~80k people or whatever the capacity is?

In fact I think there will be some paranoia around large sporting events for a very long time now.

This will be the craic at the ticket booth (now I know that it doesn't catch everyone, but if you thought you were unwell you'd give the ticket to someone else rather than be pulled in).
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Targetman

Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 31, 2020, 05:04:22 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 31, 2020, 04:50:52 PM

Down are the best team for coming from nowhere to win Sam, and beat Kerry along the way.
Title number 6 and top-dogs from Ulster to boot.
Hope you're right, you don't have a fever and a bad cough do ya?

manfromdelmonte

I hope they've stopped paying funds to the GPA

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 31, 2020, 04:53:57 PM

The GAA will fill Croker for All Ireland Final day this year (should it be approved by the Irish Govt.) no problem. Especially if we have a major shock along the day....Dublin getting bate.

Square Ball

So, do people think there will be club leagues run this year. Hard to know even when the isolation will end, plus the a second wave is possible as well. So it could be a very small window of possibly for any football this year at all.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Square Ball on April 01, 2020, 03:07:28 PM
So, do people think there will be club leagues run this year. Hard to know even when the isolation will end, plus the a second wave is possible as well. So it could be a very small window of possibly for any football this year at all.

Might get some hurling in though, as handbags is more common in football
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Here, has the virus spread to the Aran Islands? Or Clare Island? There's a quare wee pitch on Innisturk I think it is, cut out from the rock.

You could play your knock out All Ireland championship on one of those islands. Quarantine the teams on arrival to make sure nobody is infected, then play the championship over a few weeks.

No crowds, islanders only. A feast of football over a few weeks.

themac_23

Quote from: Square Ball on April 01, 2020, 03:07:28 PM

Would doubt it, id say club championships will be run off, maybe to give extra games possibly do group stages instead of straight knock out, again all depends on how soon things start to go back to normal, the only thing being that between end of 'this season' and start of next doesn't really need to be long as most players will be looking to play as much football as possible after this down time so nothing to stop championships running into winter months this year