GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: Itchy on March 15, 2020, 10:54:19 PM
Whatever about the response of HQ, the response of local grassroots gaa has been tremendous. Cancelled training before the order, meetings cancelled, lottos cancelled. Offers to the communities vulnerable to help get shopping etc. The grassroots are the glue that holds society together.
Absolutely great to see. Makes you proud to be part of the GAA. One big family at the end of the day.

screenexile

Great to see the GAA getting out and leading after being behind for a few weeks.

It's what the organisation is about and I have no doubt the GAA's role will have been huge when this is all over in terms of looking after the vulnerable and assisting the authorities with communication and offering club grounds and property to help.

Rossfan

Cork Co Board making Páirc Uí Chaoimh available to the HSE for a test centre.
Several Counties have postponed all proposed April Championship fixtures en bloc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

New York and Galway, scheduled to take place in Gaelic Park, New York on May 3rd, has been postponed.

The future for this fixture will be considered at a later date and in the context of the anticipated overall re-drawing of the national fixtures calendar for 2020 as necessitated by the ongoing disruption to the GAA games programme.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

I expect that won't be played till May 2021.
Any Connacht Championship that might get played this year will not have NY in it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eamonnca1

North American Continental Youth Championship, to be held in San Francisco this year, is canceled.

Eamonnca1

I wonder if more GAA facilities around the country could be pressed into service, whether for testing or treatment. So many community halls in so many locations, it's a massive network when you think about it. Combined with the likes of the civil defense and armed forces, it might be possible to get enough manpower together to fight this thing.

Angelo

Quote from: Rossfan on March 18, 2020, 05:05:27 PM
I expect that won't be played till May 2021.
Any Connacht Championship that might get played this year will not have NY in it.

As in the New York Galway game as the opener of the 2021 Championship or as in there will be no Championship this year?

I'm beginning to think with the latter, the window is shortening and I think this virus will only begin to peak in Ireland in April/May time and every precaution has to be taken.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Eamonnca1

I'd say all sport is done for the year. They're still claiming the Olympics are going ahead but I'll be very surprised if they happen.

Australian GP is off, and I'll be surprised if there's any F1 racing this season at all.

Taylor

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 18, 2020, 10:42:25 PM
I'd say all sport is done for the year. They're still claiming the Olympics are going ahead but I'll be very surprised if they happen.

Australian GP is off, and I'll be surprised if there's any F1 racing this season at all.

Not sure about the full year but I would expect nothing to be on before August.

A lot will depend on what happens in China over the next few weeks

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Taylor on March 19, 2020, 08:44:50 AM

China has reported no new local infections for the first time today, hopefully that continues.

Mid July at the earliest for the start of the championship I'd reckon with no games out in London, New York this summer as the UK, USA haven't taken this virus as serious as the ROI have.  With no back door and 2nd tier in the championship it can be completed in a 8 week window.

WT4E

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 19, 2020, 09:41:57 AM
Quote from: Taylor on March 19, 2020, 08:44:50 AM

China has reported no new local infections for the first time today, hopefully that continues.

Mid July at the earliest for the start of the championship I'd reckon with no games out in London, New York this summer as the UK, USA haven't taken this virus as serious as the ROI have.  With no back door and 2nd tier in the championship it can be completed in a 8 week window.

Do you believe that though?