GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: BennyCake on March 12, 2020, 06:12:23 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2020, 06:09:25 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 12, 2020, 06:06:17 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2020, 06:01:28 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/abandoned-gaa-leagues-and-restructured-championships-on-the-cards-1.4201358

There is a desire to finish the All-Irelands by the scheduled dates, as not to do so would compromise club fixtures up and down the country. If maintaining that schedule requires the re-introduction of a knock-out format, last exclusively seen 24 years ago, that may well be considered.

There won't be a championship in 2020. This thing will last (at least) 6 months.

[at least, you better f**king pray it does, 'cos otherwise the health services will utterly collapse]
I doubt it will last 6 months

You think shorter or longer?
Shorter.
Lots of people saying viruses are less effective in summer
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cunny Funt

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/abandoned-gaa-leagues-and-restructured-championships-on-the-cards-1.4201358

There is a desire to finish the All-Irelands by the scheduled dates, as not to do so would compromise club fixtures up and down the country. If maintaining that schedule requires the re-introduction of a knock-out format, last exclusively seen 24 years ago, that may well be considered.
Can someone post that article up as its behind a pay wall for me.

Main Street

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 12, 2020, 07:00:41 PM

Can someone post that article up as its behind a pay wall for me.
I am not an IT subscriber but I could access it through a special portal

Abandoned GAA leagues and restructured championships on the cards

There may be no option but to defer the introduction of the Taliteann Cup until 2021

A major revamp of the GAA season will have to be considered with abandoned leagues and restructured championships on the cards.

These possibilities arise as the association reviews its position after Thursday's announcement that the country would be subject to nationwide restrictions until the end of March.

The outlining of emergency measures came as an inevitable conclusion to a week of intensifying concerns about the spread of coronoavirus.

Sports organisations have all along been following the policy of being guided by public health authorities and up and down the country, organising committees for the various national league fixtures were planning contingencies for matches going ahead or being played behind closed doors.

The latter solution wasn't considered desirable for a couple of reasons: control of those seeking to attend, concern for players, who would be in close proximity for well over an hour of physical contact and the necessity to act and be seen to act decisively.

The decision, announced later in the day, that all Gaelic games activities would be halted provides a clean break in schedules and will allow time for the relevant GAA officials to plan what to do with the remainder of the season.

"In all of this, public health is the first priority," said one source, "and then second, business and people's livelihoods. Sport comes third. We'll be sitting down between now and 29th March to work out where we go from here."

That will be no small detail. Despite the ravages of the weather, the leagues were within a couple of weeks of being concluded. Allowing for what even at this stage looks the benign interpretation that things will be significantly improved by the end of March, there is simply no room to find those weeks for the league.

It might be possible to defer the various divisional finals until later in the year but Division 1 of the hurling league is only at the quarter-final stage. Mobilising April, the month advanced as an inter-county-free zone in the past two years, does not appear to be an option.

First, it was created to benefit clubs and their players and there is no appetite to infringe on that except for maybe a couple of fixtures that might give clarity to next year's league. Secondly, it would only arise as a possibility if there was a lifting or partial lifting of restrictions by the end of March - a prospect not viewed as a likelihood by any of the stakeholders.

There is, counter-intuitively, less interest in the destination of the prizes at stake in the league than in the orderly resolution of the competition's composition for 2021 - essentially, relegation and promotion issues.

As for championship, it wouldn't be hugely affected were the 29th March to prove the end of restrictions but in the more likely event that the public health situation still isn't resolved more radical measures will be required.

One of the more contentious aspects of the championship has been the establishment of the Tailteann Cup, a graded football championship for counties in Divisions Three and Four of next year's league.

Immediately there is the problem that as the league has not been concluded, the composition of those divisions is as yet unknown. Again, this will come down to how soon the season can re-start. Were it possible in the event of even slightly eased restrictions, a couple of relevant fixtures could be staged behind closed doors to give definition to the situation.

Realistically, though there may be no option but to abandon this year's leagues and defer the introduction of the Taliteann Cup until 2021.

five points

Quote from: thewobbler on March 12, 2020, 04:50:10 PM
Quote from: five points on March 12, 2020, 04:03:08 PM
Nobody died because the GAA waited til the afternoon today rather than rushing an announcement ahead of the government.

Didn't you hear? Two juggernauts are currently on a road not big enough for both, and look like meeting each other head at some indiscernible time in the future. Had the GAA been bothered to put a few "slow down" signs on the road last week, this surely would have helped.

An odd analogy, and a weak one. There weren't even that many games played in the past week.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2020, 06:54:34 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on March 12, 2020, 06:12:23 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2020, 06:09:25 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 12, 2020, 06:06:17 PM

There won't be a championship in 2020. This thing will last (at least) 6 months.

[at least, you better f**king pray it does, 'cos otherwise the health services will utterly collapse]
I doubt it will last 6 months

You think shorter or longer?
Shorter.
Lots of people saying viruses are less effective in summer

Well lots of people probably need to have a look at the weather in Tehran and then draw their conclusions.
i usse an speelchekor

rodney trotter

A knockout Championship for the year would be interesting, if it came to that

Eire90

If it goes to knockout make it open draw 32 teams forget provincials

Eamonnca1

Quote from: screenexile on March 12, 2020, 02:24:19 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 12, 2020, 01:54:42 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 12, 2020, 01:48:33 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 12, 2020, 01:40:59 PM
Quote from: ck on March 12, 2020, 01:33:21 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 12, 2020, 01:20:45 PM
Why on earth would the GAA have ordered a full shutdown when all its members are still mingling daily at school and work?

The GAA can now follow up appropriately and will do today.

Some of you are demanding. Some of you are just twisty and nasty. Most of you are just unrealistic.

It's called leadership! The GAA has a responsibility to look after the best interest of its members and players. Regardless of what other activities its members get up to there is an onus on the GAA hierarchy to give a clear direction for matches and club activity. I'm sure they will get their act together soon following the Gov announcement but I'd have expected it to be sooner.

Again, unrealistic, demanding, maybe even twisty.

As of this morning, every u7, u9 and u11 rural Gael in Ireland was sitting in a confined space with all other children their age.

Even the under 7s would have been able to point out the flaw in telling them the GAA club had stopped their training.

But things changed this morning... why were Dublin Antrim and Meath able to make the call and the GAA weren't?

Also their silence on the whole issue for the past few weeks isn't on as the largest community organisation in the country it had a duty to communicate much more with its members and it didn't!!

Why were Dublin, Antrim and Meath able to make the call?

1. Because the government did it for them.
2. Most likely dictated by the chair/Secretary CEO, and agreed (ironically) on WhatsApp this morning. It's a no brainer once schools are closed.
3. The GAA has a wider remit than any county board, including cross-jurisdiction.

——

Why the silence the past fortnight?

You seem to be confusing the GAA with government. When the latter is being covert, sensitive, wary, unsure, it's not the role of a sporting association to ride in with guns firing.

The Government at least released guidelines the GAA didn't even have so much as a video on how to wash your hands properly . . . they have a far greater reach than the news or traditional media would. They have a health and wellbeing unit in Croke Park surely this falls into their remit!

I also don't buy the County boards shutting down before the GAA presumably they had to do this in conjunction with the GAA in which case should the organisation as a whole not have taken the lead??

Why were basketball Ireland able to call a full shutdown last night while they GAA had to wait until after it's individual units had gone ahead with it?

At the end of the day the right decision was made but the GAA should learn lessons for the next time we have a situation like this and going forward as there will be more hard choices to make before this situation abates.

They're called the leadership for a reason... they need to lead!!

And when they do lead they're called dictators. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Rossfan

Quote from: Eire90 on March 13, 2020, 04:05:34 AM
If it goes to knockout make it open draw 32 teams forget provincials
No thanks.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

screenexile

Quote from: thewobbler on March 12, 2020, 05:31:00 PM
Quote from: ck on March 12, 2020, 05:21:12 PM
Why on earth would the GAA have ordered a full shutdown when all its members are still mingling daily at school and work?

Some of you are demanding. Some of you are just twisty and nasty. Most of you are just unrealistic.

It's called leadership! The GAA has a responsibility to look after the best interest of its members and players. Regardless of what other activities its members get up to there is an onus on the GAA hierarchy to give a clear direction for matches and club activity. I'm sure they will get their act together soon following the Gov announcement but I'd have expected it to be sooner.

As of this morning, every u7, u9 and u11 rural Gael in Ireland was sitting in a confined space with all other children their age.

Even the under 7s would have been able to point out the flaw in telling them the GAA club had stopped their training.

Twisty?! Get over yourself!

I have an 85 year old mother, I'm at my club 3 evenings per week training teams. The last thing I want to do is carry something back to my Mum.
As a governing body the GAA has a responsibility and therefore needed to give some direction, not to sit on their hands.

I too have pensioner parents.

And I object as is strongly as possible to you claiming that the "GAA has a responsibility" in the subsequent sentence.

Just what does it take for people like you start assuming personal responsibility?

Can't we have both???

ck

Quote from: screenexile on March 13, 2020, 11:09:29 AM

I have an 85 year old mother, I'm at my club 3 evenings per week training teams. The last thing I want to do is carry something back to my Mum.
As a governing body the GAA has a responsibility and therefore needed to give some direction, not to sit on their hands.

And I object as is strongly as possible to you claiming that the "GAA has a responsibility" in the subsequent sentence.

Just what does it take for people like you start assuming personal responsibility?

Can't we have both???

Of course we should have both!

Everyone needs to make the right decision for themselves first and foremost. As a coach of 2 teams in my club I have a responsibility to my players to provide direction and leadership in their best interest. I asked the club for a directive on it (as we have a match on Saturday which had not been cancelled) who in turn asked the county board. The county board said they were awaiting advice and direction from Croke Park. It came eventually, thankfully, but it was slow and was behind other sports. Had it not come we had made a club decision that we were not going to field.

Thewobblers assertion that the GAA didnt need to to anything in this instance is just nonsense.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 12, 2020, 09:06:26 PM
A knockout Championship for the year would be interesting, if it came to that

Would be although unlike the soccer we've time on our side.

Eire90

Club county championships can be played off in 3 or  4 weeks like in tyrone 16 teams play every weekend no replays also can do it quicker if bring in mid week games  dublin can go to a 16 team knockout instead of groups

Main Street

Quote from: ck on March 13, 2020, 11:57:23 AM
Quote from: screenexile on March 13, 2020, 11:09:29 AM

Can't we have both???

Of course we should have both!

Everyone needs to make the right decision for themselves first and foremost. As a coach of 2 teams in my club I have a responsibility to my players to provide direction and leadership in their best interest. I asked the club for a directive on it (as we have a match on Saturday which had not been cancelled) who in turn asked the county board. The county board said they were awaiting advice and direction from Croke Park. It came eventually, thankfully, but it was slow and was behind other sports. Had it not come we had made a club decision that we were not going to field.

Thewobblers assertion that the GAA didnt need to to anything in this instance is just nonsense.
Where did Wobbler assert that the GAA didn't need to do anything in this instance?
Now we have chinese whispers.

Personal responsibility overides, how one interacts in their home and outside with elderly people, smokers etc, and vice versa.

magpie seanie

https://www.gaa.ie/news-archive/news/watch-gaa-president-john-horan-encourages-gaa-clubs-to-look-after-the-most-vulne/

Transcript below if you can't play the video. You've another person to object to as strongly as possible here.