Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpackiechestout

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0610/1054433-styles-make-fights-as-tyrone-walk-into-donegal-trap/

Aidan O'Rourke has some great analysis here IMO. We have a complete dearth of quality man markers on the panel which shows a) why we have set up the way we have in the past few years and b) why we lost when we deviated from that set-up on Saturday.

O'Rourke flags McKernan as someone who is not naturally suited to this role, he is an attacking wing-back, but is required to do a man marking job because of a lack of options elsewhere. Say what you want about Aidan McCrory but at least he is a natural corner back who plays there for his club and is trusted with marking the best forwards in the county when playing for Errigal.

Does anyone have an explanation for why we aren't producing quality players of this kind at the moment? Or are there any not on the panel or on the u20 panel who could make the step up in the next year or two?

It's often the case in Tyrone that the lads who are man markers for the county team play further out the field for their clubs, either as attaching half backs or at midfield. Does this lead to a dulling of their defensive abilities as time goes on as the player is more interested in the more glamorous role of pushing forward? I'm not so sure as I'd imagine this is also the case in other counties.

Interestingly, probably Tyrone's best marker of the past 10 years was Cathal McCarron who always played full back for Dromore.

southtyronegael

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on June 10, 2019, 12:21:27 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0610/1054433-styles-make-fights-as-tyrone-walk-into-donegal-trap/

Aidan O'Rourke has some great analysis here IMO. We have a complete dearth of quality man markers on the panel which shows a) why we have set up the way we have in the past few years and b) why we lost when we deviated from that set-up on Saturday.

O'Rourke flags McKernan as someone who is not naturally suited to this role, he is an attacking wing-back, but is required to do a man marking job because of a lack of options elsewhere. Say what you want about Aidan McCrory but at least he is a natural corner back who plays there for his club and is trusted with marking the best forwards in the county when playing for Errigal.

Does anyone have an explanation for why we aren't producing quality players of this kind at the moment? Or are there any not on the panel or on the u20 panel who could make the step up in the next year or two?

It's often the case in Tyrone that the lads who are man markers for the county team play further out the field for their clubs, either as attaching half backs or at midfield. Does this lead to a dulling of their defensive abilities as time goes on as the player is more interested in the more glamorous role of pushing forward? I'm not so sure as I'd imagine this is also the case in other counties.

Interestingly, probably Tyrone's best marker of the past 10 years was Cathal McCarron who always played full back for Dromore.
utter, f**king rubbish. Mc Kernan not a man marker? I remember him like a limpet on mark Bradley in county final few years ago. Too many defenders got a free ride under the blanket last few years and now either been found out or forgot how to man mark. Harte been shown up once again and no amount of finger pointing gonna get him away this time.

LeoMc

Quote from: southtyronegael on June 10, 2019, 12:38:37 PM

utter, f**king rubbish. Mc Kernan not a man marker? I remember him like a limpet on mark Bradley in county final few years ago. Too many defenders got a free ride under the blanket last few years and now either been found out or forgot how to man mark. Harte been shown up once again and no amount of finger pointing gonna get him away this time.
Was that the year Bradley scored 9 off him?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: LeoMc on June 10, 2019, 12:43:28 PM

Was that the year Bradley scored 9 off him?

Think there was a gouge incident that day as well  :o

southtyronegael

Mc Kernan only man to get close to marking Bradley that year. Fair enough killyclogher overrun them in Replay. Laughable how Mickey's disciple's complain that we didn't have the forwards. Now we don't have the defenders either? What have we got then? A fuckin manager who should have been shown the door years ago. Aiden Mc crory still getting game time for a team that's supposed to be all Ireland contenders? Jesus wept.

Angelo

McKernan has got a few absolute roastings man on man in the past year or so. He's not a good man marker and you can't blame Harte for that as he's only on the panel a year or two.

Harte got it badly wrong on Saturday, we neither have the defenders or the forwards. There's a serious overrating of the quality of players we have among some on here.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

southtyronegael

Brian Mc guigan on offtheball now saying he wouldn't be surprised if few Tyrone players walked from the panel and named Kyle Coney as most likely.

phpearse

I'd love 4-5 Kieran McGeary's on that team There was one instance in the second half, game was over and Donegal had another break up field, ball came to Paddy McBrearty. McGeary was behind 2-3 other Tyrone players who were jogging back and he sprinted as hard as he could to make up ground. Didn't get the block in but he gave it a good shout. Attitude is so important.

The Trap

If Brian McGuigan is correct that would be great. Only way to get change is if there is a player revolt.

Angelo

Quote from: phpearse on June 10, 2019, 02:09:57 PM
I'd love 4-5 Kieran McGeary's on that team There was one instance in the second half, game was over and Donegal had another break up field, ball came to Paddy McBrearty. McGeary was behind 2-3 other Tyrone players who were jogging back and he sprinted as hard as he could to make up ground. Didn't get the block in but he gave it a good shout. Attitude is so important.

Attitude had a massive bearing on it. Donegal were so much more hungry than us for every ball.

McGeary and McShane seemed to be the only two hungry for the battle.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Hereiam

Biggest sign that somethings is not right in the camp is young Rafferty getting a start. Unless he was showing some unreal skills at training and justified a run out i can only think there was a bit of of a player revoult and Harte being Harte was showing lads that he is the boss.

bigtogs

Serious Rumours floating about already....Hope panel sticks together for the immediate future at least!! Has the team holiday caused more problems than we care to admit?????????

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: bigtogs on June 10, 2019, 02:32:53 PM
Serious Rumours floating about already....Hope panel sticks together for the immediate future at least!! Has the team holiday caused more problems than we care to admit?????????

Whats the rumours?

bigtogs

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on June 10, 2019, 02:38:10 PM

Whats the rumours?

2/3 players have left the panel i hope not!!!

clarshack

Quote from: bigtogs on June 10, 2019, 02:40:52 PM
Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on June 10, 2019, 02:38:10 PM

Whats the rumours?

2/3 players have left the panel i hope not!!!

Who?