It's Showtime! Election in 6 Counties on 6 May.

Started by Seany, April 06, 2010, 12:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seany

Most interesting one in years.

I still predict a Labour victory and very little change here.  However, Mike Nesbitt might win Strangford and watch out for Trevor Ringland in East Belfast.

BennyHarp

Was the thread title "UK general election 2010" not clear enough?
That was never a square ball!!

Orior

Quote from: Seany on April 06, 2010, 12:24:43 PM
Most interesting one in years.

I still predict a Labour victory and very little change here.  However, Mike Nesbitt might win Strangford and watch out for Trevor Ringland in East Belfast.

Oi, less of this predication crap Seany, and tell us what is actually gonna happen, and how you will make it happen, lol.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Seany, you can change your thread title to focus on the occupied six, and leave the other thread for the UK election.

qz

Quote from: Orior on April 06, 2010, 12:28:25 PM
Seany, you can change your thread title to focus on the occupied six, and leave the other thread for the UK election.

Or alternatively, 6 counties & Britain, not 6 counties & UK.

muppet

Quote from: qz on April 06, 2010, 01:55:41 PM
Quote from: Orior on April 06, 2010, 12:28:25 PM

Or alternatively, 6 counties & Britain, not 6 counties & UK.

6 rocks near the saan?
MWWSI 2017

Seany

Thanks for that Orior.  I never noticed the other thread.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Strong possibilty republicans/nationalists will go from 8 seats to 6!

Really need some sensible thinking from our politicans on this one, SF get F/ST and SDLP get free run in S.Belfast, also if SDLP stood down in North Belfast Gerry Kelly would have a great chance of toppling that odious wee fcuk Dodds!

Wishful thinking but instead of 6 we could very slightly possibily (N Belfast) 9
Tbc....

Orior

If you were Alban Maginnis, would you back down to let Gerry Kelly in?

Cant see that happening, which is a pity.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Orior on April 08, 2010, 12:16:49 AM
If you were Alban Maginnis, would you back down to let Gerry Kelly in?

Cant see that happening, which is a pity.

I agree, but with one candidate and a higher turnout then 58% anything is possible, this constituency has been unionist for over 100 years!
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/18415

Nationalists uniting will deliver North Belfast  April7, 2010

Sinn Féin Assembly member for North Belfast Gerry Kelly was this morning on the campaign trail in his constituency. Gerry Kelly is the only candidate in the field who can win the Westminster seat for nationalism.

Speaking from the 'Cricky' pitch on the Cliftonville Road Mr Kelly said:

"The figures in the last number of elections clearly show that a nationalist candidate can win the North Belfast Westminster seat. They also clearly show that Sinn Féin is the only party who can win this seat from Nigel Dodds and the DUP.

"Of course this is most likely if nationalists unite around Sinn Féin and unite around the common goal of Sinn Fein's equality campaign. Winning this seat for nationalism for the first time in this constituency's 125 year history would break the DUP veto on equality for all. Sinn Féin have been steadily closing the gap on the DUP in the North Belfast constituency in recent years. We are now best positioned to take this seat. A vote for any other nationalist candidate is a wasted vote.

"The DUP under Nigel Dodds in North Belfast have used their status to block every aspect of equality, especially in relation to leisure provision and house building programmes aimed at tackling chronic need. We now have a huge opportunity to make an historic breakthrough for the whole community.

"The victory achieved last week at Belfast City Council when the SDLP finally joined with Sinn Féin to ensure proper changing facilities on the 'Cricky' pitch site for local GAA teams is an example of what can be achieved. It is an example of how a negative, sectarian agenda can be defeated.

"It shows us that nationalists uniting in North Belfast to defeat the old agenda is possible and it is possible again on May 6th."
Tbc....

ardmhachaabu

the_daddy, I would tend to agree with you regarding north Belfast.  That seat will remain a unionist one for many years to come unless there are geographical changes in it

I also agree wrt East Derry, it could have went to an independent nationalist if the others were to stand down because unionism is fragmenting itself in a big way in that part of the country, it has been said that there has been a noticeable shift towards more extremist parties
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Orior

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on April 08, 2010, 05:55:50 PM
the_daddy, I would tend to agree with you regarding north Belfast.  That seat will remain a unionist one for many years to come unless there are geographical changes in it

I also agree wrt East Derry, it could have went to an independent nationalist if the others were to stand down because unionism is fragmenting itself in a big way in that part of the country, it has been said that there has been a noticeable shift towards more extremist parties

Uniionists/Protestants are moving out to 'safe' areas like Rathcoole, and New Mossley. Its amazing the numbers of celtic taps seen around norf belfast compared to 20 years ago.

dodgy umpire

Recent boundary changes have raised the catholic population in the constituency and thus presumably the nationalist vote will rise; Kelly could take it. South Down will be interesting  as McGrady isn't standing. This should have allowed SF to take the seat but with Ruane's disasterous performances in the media lately it is a toss up. Is Durkan standing in Foyle?
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: dodgy umpire on April 08, 2010, 07:36:30 PM

Recent boundary changes have raised the catholic population in the constituency and thus presumably the nationalist vote will rise; Kelly could take it. South Down will be interesting  as McGrady isn't standing. This should have allowed SF to take the seat but with Ruane's disasterous performances in the media lately it is a toss up. Is Durkan standing in Foyle?

Durkin is standing, thats why he gave up leadership of the party.
The boundry changes in N Belfast were like for like, Hightown and parts of Glengloomy coming in for nationalists, parts of Rathcoole for other side, but the real fact is that the protestant population in other areas of N Belfast are dropping, while the number of Catholics looking housing in the area is at an all time high. Next years census figs wiull be very interesting.
A combined republican/nationalist vote would take this seat quite handy.

I see that  the UUP/Cons have election posters up in Sandy Row/ S Belfast so no combined candidate there then?!
Tbc....