International rules

Started by tonto1888, September 26, 2017, 09:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 26, 2017, 09:51:09 PM
https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwipkrfm3MPWAhXLCMAKHb5PB64QFgg2MAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gaa.ie%2Ffootball%2Fnews%2Fdates-and-venues-confirmed-for-2017-international-rules-series%2F&usg=AFQjCNEX9E6ly2TLJD_cpodkSEbKVPVjcA

QuoteThe opening game will take place on Sunday, November 12 at the Adelaide Oval.
The deciding test will take place the following Saturday night, November 18, at the Domain Stadium in Perth

Provincial club championships will be in full flow during November who was daft enough to schedule those dates?

Aaron Boone

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 27, 2017, 06:52:42 PM
‏ @depboyle 
Oz based Conor McKenna, Zach Tuohy and Pearse Hanley set to be included in International Rules squad leaving 20 spots for the rest.

Conor McKenna obviously doing well to be the player at the official launch today.

Don Johnson

I think it's hilarious how much some people get so worked up over this.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 27, 2017, 07:11:54 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on September 26, 2017, 09:51:09 PM
https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwipkrfm3MPWAhXLCMAKHb5PB64QFgg2MAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gaa.ie%2Ffootball%2Fnews%2Fdates-and-venues-confirmed-for-2017-international-rules-series%2F&usg=AFQjCNEX9E6ly2TLJD_cpodkSEbKVPVjcA

QuoteThe opening game will take place on Sunday, November 12 at the Adelaide Oval.
The deciding test will take place the following Saturday night, November 18, at the Domain Stadium in Perth

Provincial club championships will be in full flow during November who was daft enough to schedule those dates?

What the frig does that have to do with anything in Australia? Do you think they're worrying their heads over ties like Melvin Gaels v Tourestrane?

The Aussie Rules have always clashed with club championships, and if anything being in mid November means more players will have their club championships over by the time these ties come around.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Don Johnson on September 27, 2017, 08:36:47 PM

+ 1
It's fair enough not liking something, each to their own etc., but for me, the annual cavalcade of embittered detractors getting their knickers in a twist and trying to hound everyone into their worldview by practically flash-mobbing every thread on the subject in their rush to let us all know how much more sportingly sophisticated they are than the rest of us because they hate it, that's possibly more entertaining than the game itself. It's almost evangelical in its zealousness.

I seldom watch it these days as it's kinda like sanitised choreography with a modicum of aggression and a football, but I don't spend my time picketing threads like an anti-abortion protester either.

Orchard park

It's a blazer and journalist gig.

Let them off

trileacman

Quote from: cavanmaniac on September 29, 2017, 12:12:22 AM
Quote from: Don Johnson on September 27, 2017, 08:36:47 PM

+ 1
It's fair enough not liking something, each to their own etc., but for me, the annual cavalcade of embittered detractors getting their knickers in a twist and trying to hound everyone into their worldview by practically flash-mobbing every thread on the subject in their rush to let us all know how much more sportingly sophisticated they are than the rest of us because they hate it, that's possibly more entertaining than the game itself. It's almost evangelical in its zealousness.

I seldom watch it these days as it's kinda like sanitised choreography with a modicum of aggression and a football, but I don't spend my time picketing threads like an anti-abortion protester either.

Happens all the time. See the lions thread.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

DuffleKing

Quote from: Redhand Santa on September 27, 2017, 09:52:18 AM
The last two tests have had some of the top players for each of the countries playing good close games in front of nearly 40,000 on both sides of the world. Gives a bit of exposure to our top players at a time of the year when the press usually focus on other sports. If you don't like it it's very easy to ignore.

The best Australians do not play in this farce

TabClear

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 29, 2017, 08:40:55 AM
The last two tests have had some of the top players for each of the countries playing good close games in front of nearly 40,000 on both sides of the world. Gives a bit of exposure to our top players at a time of the year when the press usually focus on other sports. If you don't like it it's very easy to ignore.

Dont know about that. Australian 2015 squad below

Luke Hodge (c)   4 time premiership with 3 as captain, 2 time Norman Smith.
Dustin Fletcher (gk)   3rd most games all time
Hayden Ballantyne   Fremantle
Eddie Betts   Adelaide Best small forward in the game
Grant Birchall   Hawthorn Triple premiership winner
Luke Breust   Hawthorn Triple premiership winner
Patrick Dangerfield   Geelong Brownlow winner and runner up
Andrew Gaff   West Coast
Brendon Goddard   Essendon
Robbie Gray   Port Adelaide One of the best midfielders in the game
Dyson Heppell   Essendon Former Rising Star winner
Sam Mitchell   Hawthorn Brownlow medalist and four time premiership
Leigh Montagna   St Kilda
David Mundy   Fremantle
Robert Murphy   Western Bulldogs
Nick Riewoldt   St Kilda Recognised as one of the best every CHF  all-time record for most marks in VFL/AFL history
Tom Rockliff   Brisbane Lions
Jarryd Roughead   Hawthorn 4 time premiership
Nick Smith   Sydney
Jake Stringer   Western Bulldogs
Harry Taylor   Geelong Double Premiership winner an
Easton Wood   Western Bulldogs Reigning premiership

Yes, certain players choose not to play but you would have a hard time arguing that the players above are not among the best in 2015. About half were named in  All Australian Team (equivalent of All Star)and the majority of the rest were at least nominated for AA.

Redhand Santa

The last two tests had some of Australia's top players playing and were close good games. People who are against the international rules quickly forget the positives. Australia had previously committed to playing players who had won the equivalent of an all star, I assume that is still the case this year.

In the past when Australia put out their best players they were too quick and strong for the Irish. But both games have changed since then. The gap in size of the top players has narrowed and the Irish players have got fitter. They still cant quite match the Australians but have other advantages. Hoping for a good series as their is plenty of benefits of this at a quiet time of year for gaa coverage. Hopefully another Gary Brennan emerges, he was excellent last time.

Rossfan

It's great when a player from one of the "little" Counties gets recognised seeing as the All Stars farce seldom goes beyond the AI semi finalists.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sligoman2

I certainly will be watching it.  It's better than some championship games.. ;) ;) ;)

If you don't like it don't watch it, very simple.  Don't complain about lads getting a trip to Australia to represent their country.  With a top Australian team this should be good, who won in 2015? 

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 29, 2017, 08:40:55 AM

You really plastered your ignorance on your forehead there.

longballin

It's for GAA fans who don't follow club football which is why the hierarchy put in on during club championships. Should be in March though be better it wasnt on at all. Serves no purpose whatsoever... junket for travelling team and their entourage

Rossfan

I know plenty if club followers  who go to these Internationals.
Also great to see loads of kids getting to cheer on an Irish team in Croker.
I have no interest in rubby or soccer but don't log into their threads to tell them that.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM