The vaccine rollout

Started by Smurfy123, December 30, 2020, 09:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on January 12, 2021, 11:43:00 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 12, 2021, 11:07:48 AM
Got vaccinated myself, well the 1st jab. So far so good in the 6 counties as regards over 80s, underlying, care homes, front line workers and hitting targets.

What vaccine did you get, I have to take my mum tomorrow ( she is 81 ) and some family members are apprehensive. Talk of some illness for two days etc. I'm the oldest and told them its her decision not ours. She has her wits about her and I have no problem with her decision. I thinks the not the phizer but the other one.

Was in one of the big centres so Pfizer. I'm assuming your mammy is going to her GP? In that case I'm assuming it's the Oxford vaccine NAH. I know a few over 80s who've now been vaccinated. A slightly sore arm seems to have been the height of it. Zero pain or any feelings of illness with myself of any colleagues.

trailer

Got vaccinated myself, well the 1st jab. So far so good in the 6 counties as regards over 80s, underlying, care homes, front line workers and hitting targets.

What vaccine did you get, I have to take my mum tomorrow ( she is 81 ) and some family members are apprehensive. Talk of some illness for two days etc. I'm the oldest and told them its her decision not ours. She has her wits about her and I have no problem with her decision. I thinks the not the phizer but the other one.

It's a no brainer. It's a choice between Covid and an approved regulated Vaccine...

Andrew Wakefield has a lot to answer for. He should be imprisoned.

Milltown Row2

Staff in my place have sent an email off to HR as some essential workers who are working with the elderly are getting the vaccine..

I think if you can show you work in essential key work area you can get the vaccine...

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 12, 2021, 09:09:12 AM
Quote from: God14 on January 12, 2021, 05:58:49 AM
The pace should actually pick up considerably from today. Because the roll out of Oxford vaccine by local GP practices starts today.
Is there any fundamental difference in the vacines in the way they work or are they all just variants of the same technology?

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines work in much the same way and are a new technology. The Oxford and the Russian one are similar as is the Johnson & Johnson one which will likely be the next one to be approved. One of the Chinese jabs is a traditional deactivated vaccine.
The NYTimes describes them https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/health/how-covid-19-vaccines-work.html
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

God14

They say the pfizer one is harder to take, ie potential sickness afterwards for a day or two. Although the trials show its more efficient.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: JoG2 on January 12, 2021, 11:48:57 AM

Was in one of the big centres so Pfizer. I'm assuming your mammy is going to her GP? In that case I'm assuming it's the Oxford vaccine NAH. I know a few over 80s who've now been vaccinated. A slightly sore arm seems to have been the height of it. Zero pain or any feelings of illness with myself of any colleagues.

Yeah it's the GP car park, apparently you don't get out of the car so likely the other one (can't even pronounce it never mind spell it). I have had another chat with her and she definitely wants it. I have a couple of sibling and their spouses a bit on the " earth is flat" spectrum so it's hard to know.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

JoG2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on January 12, 2021, 12:18:52 PM

Yeah it's the GP car park, apparently you don't get out of the car so likely the other one (can't even pronounce it never mind spell it). I have had another chat with her and she definitely wants it. I have a couple of sibling and their spouses a bit on the " earth is flat" spectrum so it's hard to know.

Hope all goes well Hound. We've 1 flat earther in our wider family. Craic can be good at get togethers :)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JoG2 on January 12, 2021, 12:46:25 PM

Hope all goes well Hound. We've 1 flat earther in our wider family. Craic can be good at get togethers :)

He'll not be allowed at the get togethers from now on if everyone else gets the jab  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 12, 2021, 01:02:35 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 12, 2021, 12:46:25 PM

He'll She'll not be allowed at the get togethers from now on if everyone else gets the jab  ;)

:). Another positive MR2!

north_antrim_hound

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

imtommygunn

My da surprisingly got it last week. I wouldn't say he's a flat earther but he is not a fan of the flu jab at all.

armaghniac

First (small) delivery of Moderna vaccine arrives in Dublin.
AstraZeneca apply to EMA for approval.
Things are on the move. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RedHand88

Elderly don't suffer as bad after it as their immune response isn't firing in all cylinders the same way a younger person's is.
I got the Oxford one last week, im 32, and had sore head/tired/general illness for about 24hours after. Its very manageable.

imtommygunn

My dad got it at 84. He had no ill effects whatsoever.

Smurfy123

The north Could hit 300000 by mid February
I hold my hands up
They are doing a lot better than I thought
A slow start but moving very well now