The good old days...

Started by Denn Forever, January 24, 2021, 11:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

What about the world book man, hoover sales man and the man that would sell aerial photographs of your house!
We have about 4 different aerial photos of our place taken over a period of maybe 20 years. It's funny when you look back at the changes.

I remember us all heading to the moss (we didn't call it the bog) to take home one load of turf. That's all we were doing....so you'd work flat out as you knew it was only one load. Then your da would say, I think we've time for another load that didnt take long at all! lol.
Some craic too.

tbrick18

Quote from: BennyCake on January 27, 2021, 02:35:04 PM
Butcher used to come round our way. And the turfman.

We never had a butcher come around, but I was a turfman!
Went door to door in early/mid nineties up around places like antrim, ballyclare, carrick....you could get twice the price for a bag of turf that you could get around home.
Bought my first car that way.

brokencrossbar1

The video van was a staple Friday night treat. Genie Blair's van would land to my mates house, he had his normal videos(pirates of course!) on the racks. Then he had his 'specials' in the box under lock and key. We never got them but we knew they were good old classics like Emmanuel etc etc!  He had a place out the back of his house, an old council house, with more videos, pool table and poker machines. You could rent a video for half a day ....so long as it was back by 3!!! 

Taylor

Breadman
Fruitman
Fishman
Mineralman
Milkman
Blockman
Videoman
Fishman
Clothesman
Coalman

Cant see that we can add sales people to this list - more your staple visitors who came each week.

The clothesman is a super one - forgot all about him

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Taylor on January 27, 2021, 03:02:46 PM
Breadman
Fruitman
Fishman
Mineralman
Milkman
Blockman
Videoman
Fishman
Clothesman
Coalman

Cant see that we can add sales people to this list - more your staple visitors who came each week.

For the older heads....Rag and bone man....we had a few of those, Johnny Teelan, Johnny Rhubarb, boys that came to the house and lifted your shite and made something out of it

bigarsedkeeper

Breadman
Fruitman
Fishman
Mineralman
Milkman
Blockman
Videoman
Fishman
Clothesman
Coalman

There was a man round our way, think he did all the country areas around Banbridge, came round with a big van full of hardware stuff. Tools, boots, water fittings and that sort of thing. Used to sell Mercury trainers - my ma always bought another pair of them when we called and they were useless. Used to love getting a nosy around the van though.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on January 27, 2021, 03:10:15 PM
Breadman
Fruitman
Fishman
Mineralman
Milkman
Blockman
Videoman
Fishman
Clothesman
Coalman

There was a man round our way, think he did all the country areas around Banbridge, came round with a big van full of hardware stuff. Tools, boots, water fittings and that sort of thing. Used to sell Mercury trainers - my ma always bought another pair of them when we called and they were useless. Used to love getting a nosy around the van though.

The bin man, he'd have come through your house, out the back lifted your bin not a problem, nowadays if your bin has the lid sitting a mm above the top, they'll not lift it!! Sorry, they won't wheel it over to the truck that lifts it.

I remember an egg man, he came round with fresh eggs, and remember a farmer who came round in the lead up to xmas with fresh turkeys, that you had to pluck and gut.

There's a frozen food guy that does they round by me, he's been flat out over the years, used him a good few times
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Breadman
Fruitman
Fishman
Mineralman
Milkman
Blockman
Videoman
Fishman
Clothesman
Coalman

Insurance man
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on January 27, 2021, 05:42:03 PM
Breadman
Fruitman
Fishman
Mineralman
Milkman
Blockman
Videoman
Fishman
Clothesman
Coalman

Insurance man

Tick man
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Look-Up!

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2021, 05:44:53 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 27, 2021, 05:42:03 PM
Breadman
Fruitman
Fishman
Mineralman
Milkman
Blockman
Videoman
Fishman
Clothesman
Coalman

Insurance man

Tick man
Frogman

BennyCake

Gypos looking to tar your drive or powerwash your street.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 27, 2021, 03:07:01 PM
Breadman
Fruitman
Fishman
Mineralman
Milkman
Blockman
Videoman
Fishman
Clothesman
Coalman

For the older heads....Rag and bone man....we had a few of those, Johnny Teelan, Johnny Rhubarb, boys that came to the house and lifted your shite and made something out of it
We didn't have one of these in rural May when I was growing up. We had wide acres of open space if we felt the need to answer a call of nature.  But allowances had to be made for the children at the local school. There were a few rudimentary cubicles with wooden seats and a hole in the centre and, sitting or standing, you did your business there.
No S bends or flushing cisterns in those days so the smell became almost unbearable after a short while.
A member of the traveling gentry had an unofficial contract with the school principal. Every six weeks or so, he'd call by and shovel the shit into a couple of bags and what he did with the bags was none of our business.
But all the kids, and teachers, were happy to see him as the smell of Jeyes' Fluid replaced the equally strong smell of shite , for a few days anyway. He'd dash a good bucket or two of the disinfectant around the place and make off with his precious cargo loaded onto his little spring cart.
I can still get the feel good feeling when we knew relief was at hand when yer man would throw the door open and shout at the teacher, "Hey, master, do you want me to clean out from the childer."
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

weareros

Waiting for a song you liked on the radio, quickly pressing record on your wonky cassette recorder and hoping the tape wouldn't get all mangled inside or Vincent Hanley or one of the DJs wouldn't talk over the ending. Spotify and the like have  just sucked the joy out of it all.

armaghniac

Delivery men were a big thing. Breadmen knew everyone in the country and carried a range of non bakery items, notably newspapers.

Quote from: weareros on January 27, 2021, 09:27:09 PM
Waiting for a song you liked on the radio, quickly pressing record on your wonky cassette recorder and hoping the tape wouldn't get all mangled inside or Vincent Hanley or one of the DJs wouldn't talk over the ending. Spotify and the like have  just sucked the joy out of it all.

If you were really sophisticated you used a plug with a DIN plug to connect the radio to the tape player. Of course it was still pretty crap.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jim Bob

Quote from: weareros on January 27, 2021, 09:27:09 PM

And then the glorious day when your folks landed home with a 'music centre'. - (record player/tape recorder/ radio combined )